official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

57 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have watched Wrestlemania's 8-12 live and I saw 1-7 on tape.  Out of those, I loved 3,4,6,7, and 10.  I remember 2 being terrible while the others were alright (thought 9 wasn't good either and I think the venue was more to blame than the matches).  The warrior looked like crap when he came in to save Hogan at the end of 8 IIRC.  

My first live PPV Mania was 10 when I was 13.  I ended up hunting down the rest on VHS at the video store I could ride my bike to. I remember disliking 2 as well. 8 was my favorite at the time because of Piper and Bret Hart. I remember the “the warrior died, that’s a new guy” rumors started after that night and of course I believed that for years 

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

just watched the movie Best In Show, came out in 2000 and it’s now easily one of my favorite movies of all time. highly recommend

One of my absolute favorite comedies. Fred Willard’s running commentary to his uptight  British co-host just absolutely kills me every time. 

We actually have a Weimaraner (the big gray dog the yuppie couple have) and since my wife also loves the movie I’m always making “busy bee” jokes lol. 

43 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

One of my absolute favorite comedies. Fred Willard’s running commentary to his uptight  British co-host just absolutely kills me every time. 

We actually have a Weimaraner (the big gray dog the yuppie couple have) and since my wife also loves the movie I’m always making “busy bee” jokes lol. 

Fred Willard was amazing in those Christopher Guest movies. His “hey wha happen?!?” from (I think) A Mighty Wind is still part of my vocabulary with a few friends to this day. 

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:35 PM, mfitz804 said:

Yup. I remember going to see Wrestlemania 3 in the pre-pay per view days. They showed it on the big pull down screen in the local high school's auditorium. Was a crazy scene. 

I have flipped past it in recent times and it looks like a bad imitation of its former self. 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:37 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

Sometimes I miss those days of screaming interviews that made zero sense. Warriors rocket fuel one before I think Mania 6 was hilarious. 

On 9/27/2021 at 2:41 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I remember the tail-end of the closed-circuit PPV days.  My older brother and I explained what it was to my nephew a couple years back (he was 12 at the time) what it was and he reacted as through we lived in the dark ages.

I have also watched some WWE stuff the past few weeks for the first time since about 1996-97.  Boy it has changed quite a bit.  I got out right when the Attitude era started and shortly after Stone Cold dropped The Ringmaster moniker.  The three biggest differences I see from those days are 1) the wrestlers are just plain smaller than they were back then (I guess the steroid scandal of 1993 really put a damper on things) 2) wrestlers today do not seem as technically sound as they were back then and 3) they seemed to have completely dropped the cartoonish persona gimmicks.  I actually miss the different angles they had for each wrestler like when Dr Isaac Yankem was around for a short while as a crazy dentist, it didn't work, so they re-packaged him as Kane and didn't acknowledge it was the same guy lol.

Have any of you guys checked out AEW(All Elite Wrestling) on TNT? 

Started a few years ago and run by the son of the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars so there's a lot of money behind it. It's been a way more entertaining product than WWE since day 1 and a bunch of guys have been leaving WWE to go there lately to have more creative freedom. 

They just ran a show at Arthur Ashe last week and had about 20k in attendance and the week before had like 14k at Prudential. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

31 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Have any of you guys checked out AEW(All Elite Wrestling) on TNT? 

Started a few years ago and run by the son of the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars so there's a lot of money behind it. It's been a way more entertaining product than WWE since day 1 and a bunch of guys have been leaving WWE to go there lately to have more creative freedom. 

They just ran a show at Arthur Ashe last week and had about 20k in attendance and the week before had like 14k at Prudential. 

I’ve been watching it. I’m way behind, I’m still in early June. But to me the major difference is that you can see how much fun the wrestlers seem to be having. It looks like they are making a lot of their own decisions and enjoying their job. I’m enjoying it a lot more than WWE. I gave up on WWE tv long ago and just kind of skim the PPVs for anything interesting that might happen. 

My buddy was at the AEW show in Prudential a few weeks ago and said it was a great time. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’ve been watching it. I’m way behind, I’m still in early June. But to me the major difference is that you can see how much fun the wrestlers seem to be having. It looks like they are making a lot of their own decisions and enjoying their job. I’m enjoying it a lot more than WWE. I gave up on WWE tv long ago and just kind of skim the PPVs for anything interesting that might happen. 

My buddy was at the AEW show in Prudential a few weeks ago and said it was a great time. 

That seems to be the general consensus from most people I know who still follow both. It's a shame because WWE really does have a good roster but they are stuck in doing the same mold of things they have been doing for years and really control way too much of their rosters creativity. It makes everything feel like it doesn't matter. Things in AEW really start picking up at the All Out ppv. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That seems to be the general consensus from most people I know who still follow both. It's a shame because WWE really does have a good roster but they are stuck in doing the same mold of things they have been doing for years and really control way too much of their rosters creativity. It makes everything feel like it doesn't matter. Things in AEW really start picking up at the All Out ppv. 

Yeah the WWE model has been stale for so long now. Storylines are (mostly) same ole stuff, interviews are over scripted and all sound the same. I’m hoping AEW having success makes McMahon loosen the reigns like in the late 90’s. That was a very fun time for fans

• Like 1

have my bff in dallas and drove down for mania when it was there. what a fun drive and amazing time. that stadium is sick. ride home i somehow had a friend doin an interview in nashville, so i stayed with him for the night on the way back.  also got a speeding ticket in west virgina. 80 in a 75, i was doin 95.  i'm itching to do another road trip, but with gas prices it's pointless. 

• Like 1

Any other ASOIF readers here? Spoilers to follow

Spoiler

Why didn't Tywin just marry Sansa himself after Joffrey's betrothal to Margery Tyrell instead of forcing Tyrion to marry her? Tywin isn't an old man in the books, thought of this the other day and it's bugging me

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Any other ASOIF readers here? Spoilers to follow

Hide contents

Why didn't Tywin just marry Sansa himself after Joffrey's betrothal to Margery Tyrell instead of forcing Tyrion to marry her? Tywin isn't an old man in the books, thought of this the other day and it's bugging me

I assume because he was doing it to spite him, just has he was in trying to marry Cersei off to Loras Tyrell. Would accomplish the political agenda and also irritate the sh!t out of them both. 

Thoughts on The Sopranos prequel? I mostly liked it. Not perfect, but overall I thought it was pretty good. Vera Farmiga was fantastic as Livia. 

The twist at the end of 

Spoiler

Junior being the one that had Dickie killed was pretty shocking. But certainly very in-character for Junior with all his jealousy and resentment. 

Saw Hobby’s during one of the riot scenes. Still want to try their food whenever I make it back to NJ next. 

Edited by Nicomo

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Thoughts on The Sopranos prequel? I mostly liked it. Not perfect, but overall I thought it was pretty good. Vera Farmiga was fantastic as Livia. 

The twist at the end of 

Reveal hidden contents

Junior being the one that had Dickie killed was pretty shocking. But certainly very in-character for Junior with all his jealousy and resentment. 

Saw Hobby’s during one of the riot scenes. Still want to try their food whenever I make it back to NJ next. 

Did not watch it yet. Told my wife I would wait for her. 

Vera Farmiga is amazing in everything she does. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The twist at the end of 

Reveal hidden contents

Going tonight, so I’ll let you know lol

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Did not watch it yet. Told my wife I would wait for her. 

Vera Farmiga is amazing in everything she does. 

Her sister Taissa is solid too.  Her and her sis are two of seven children…lived in Whitehouse NJ for a while…only about 15 mins from me.

Watching Wes Craven’s New Nightmare tonight. It’s the one where the characters are actually playing themselves making a movie and all the hijinks that ensue. 

Somehow I missed this one when it was in theaters, and I saw it for the first time on cable. I had actually fallen asleep and woke up to find it on. I fell asleep shortly thereafter, and when I woke up, I thought I dreamed the whole thing until years later when I finally watched it start to finish. 

Very interesting perspective, and of course the return of Heather Langenkamp to the franchise. Better than 4 and 5, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I know you're not at that point but this is pretty amazing haha

This is Jon Lavoie is a Canadian comedian, actor, rapper, singer, musician, and Internet celebrity from MTL. He was in The League too. 

So that's one of his project (named after a Terminator 2 line). That song is basically a retelling of his first experience watching F13 Part 5. It's pretty exceptional cause in the song he watches it at his friend Sebastien's place, everything in there is french too. And that's my name and many people watched those horror movies at my place as kids haha the only difference is that i never wore a MTL Canadian shirt lol 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Btw Many Saints of Newark was very good. Definitely worth the watch. If you’re a Sopranos fan, you’ll enjoy it.

My wife and I are still trying to watch it together, the schedules don’t always align to where she and I have time to sit down and watch something and the kid isn’t around. 

It’s on HBO Max until 10/31, if we can’t get it figured out by the end of the month, I’m watching it solo lol. 

• Like 1