official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If you didn’t get laid at least a couple times from working retail you were doing it wrong. :P

I pulled a couple from Blockbuster back in the day, and even one when I worked the meat counter at a supermarket. Which sets up the easiest pun of all time if Mfitz chooses to take it lol. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Lol. 

Honestly, I did this all the time, with the customers and with my co-workers. From age 15-18. It was too easy. 

Then I met “the one”, not at work. 

I did not disappoint 

On 9/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, mfitz804 said:

Just dropped my daughter off at her high school orientation. Those of you with young kids will soon see firsthand how quickly time goes. Enjoy every minute. 

I moved my middle step-son into an apartment last night with his older brother, and my youngest one is a senior this year, turning 18 in two weeks.  Blink, and you'll miss it.  It's crazy.

On 9/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Slightly off-topic, but fellow graphic-designers, how fast would you get fired for thinking this was an appropriate image to create? I get the sentiment that they're all American-born, but jeez, read the room

The problem is not apparent to me. I didn’t have a cringe reaction.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:15 AM, DevsMan84 said:

As someone who has been to most of Germany in several trips over the past 25 years, which part of Germany?

I'll be flying into Frankfurt then a friend of mine is going to take me to Munich for a couple days. I will have a few days by myself that I need to occupy before having to be back in Frankfurt for my flight home.

34 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll be flying into Frankfurt then a friend of mine is going to take me to Munich for a couple days. I will have a few days by myself that I need to occupy before having to be back in Frankfurt for my flight home.

I was in Munich back in the summer of 2019.  Out of the top 3 cities in Germany (Berlin, Hamburg, Munich), Munich is the most interesting of the three.  Be sure to stop by the Hofbrau Haus to grab a beer and a pretzel as it is a fun place.  I would go in the early to mid afternoon for the most likely to get a decent table there.  Even though it is massive, it still gets filled up pretty easily.

If you want to save some money, it is always great to stay at a small hotel outside of major cities.  They are often just as good as the ones in the cities and at a fraction of the cost.  The mass transportation is so good and reliable (they are practically always on time) that going into the city is easy.  In 2019 we stayed at a smaller but nice hotel with its worn beer garden approx 15-20 km east of Munich and it was great.  Took about 30-ish minutes to reach the city by train and the train cost $20ish Euros round-trip for 4 people, which is much cheaper than NJ Transit.  Word of caution; most hotels in Germany that don't cater to US tourists often don't have AC, so if it gets hot out be mindful of that.

As for others things to do, you can take a drive or tour down to one of Ludwig II's three fairytail castles.  The most famous is the world-famous Neuschwanstein near the Austrian border.  It is about an hour and change south of Munich and be sure to reserve tickets in advance if you want to tour inside.  Also beautiful surroundings as it is in the foothills of the Alps.  The other is Linderhof which is also south of Munich though a little tiny bit closer.  It is smaller and not as famous as Neuschwanstein, but is the only one of the three that is fully completed.  The third one is Herrenchiemsee which is a smaller copy of Versailles that was built on an island in the middle of a lake.  That is the least touristy of the three by-far and requires a ferry ride (about 15-20 min) to get there as well as some walking.  I went there in July 2019 to complete my trifecta and it had no lines at all and was pretty interesting.

Another suggestion is to drive the 90ish minutes down to Salzburg, Austria.  It is very touristy but it is also a very historically interesting city.  The "old city" portion is a big pedestrian zone with plaza's and historical buildings such as Mozart's birthplace.  There is also a large castle on top of the hill where the Prince-Bishop rules Salzburg for hundreds of years (it is also one of the biggest castles in Europe).  There are also plenty of beer gardens and things to do there.  One tip; if you are renting a car and driving there from Munich, make sure before you cross the border into Austria you stop at a gas station or rest stop and buy a little pass/sticker you put in the windshield of your car (It is called a Maut IIRC).  It is about 10 Euros and if you get pulled over in Austria without that sticker, you can pay a big fine.

Other than that there is plenty to do.  Most people there speak at least decent English so language isn't an issue.  People are generally friendly (Germans in southern Germany are typically friendlier than the ones in northern Germany) and are more than happy to help you.  Food is good but very heavy on pork, beef and fish but light on chicken and turkey.  A fun thing to order is Schlachteplatte (literally translates to Slaughter plate) which typically has 3 different kinds of meat on it.  Tipping is ALWAYS included in the prices on the bill and therefore you do not have to tip but is customary to tip a little bit (I am talking about 3-5ish Euros on a 50-60 Euro meal for example) and almost all payment at restaurants are done literally at the table and in cash.  Public transportation is cheap and extremely reliable so that is always recommended.

Hope some of this helps.

31 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was in Munich back in the summer of 2019.  Out of the top 3 cities in Germany (Berlin, Hamburg, Munich), Munich is the most interesting of the three.  Be sure to stop by the Hofbrau Haus to grab a beer and a pretzel as it is a fun place.  I would go in the early to mid afternoon for the most likely to get a decent table there.  Even though it is massive, it still gets filled up pretty easily.

If you want to save some money, it is always great to stay at a small hotel outside of major cities.  They are often just as good as the ones in the cities and at a fraction of the cost.  The mass transportation is so good and reliable (they are practically always on time) that going into the city is easy.  In 2019 we stayed at a smaller but nice hotel with its worn beer garden approx 15-20 km east of Munich and it was great.  Took about 30-ish minutes to reach the city by train and the train cost $20ish Euros round-trip for 4 people, which is much cheaper than NJ Transit.  Word of caution; most hotels in Germany that don't cater to US tourists often don't have AC, so if it gets hot out be mindful of that.

As for others things to do, you can take a drive or tour down to one of Ludwig II's three fairytail castles.  The most famous is the world-famous Neuschwanstein near the Austrian border.  It is about an hour and change south of Munich and be sure to reserve tickets in advance if you want to tour inside.  Also beautiful surroundings as it is in the foothills of the Alps.  The other is Linderhof which is also south of Munich though a little tiny bit closer.  It is smaller and not as famous as Neuschwanstein, but is the only one of the three that is fully completed.  The third one is Herrenchiemsee which is a smaller copy of Versailles that was built on an island in the middle of a lake.  That is the least touristy of the three by-far and requires a ferry ride (about 15-20 min) to get there as well as some walking.  I went there in July 2019 to complete my trifecta and it had no lines at all and was pretty interesting.

Another suggestion is to drive the 90ish minutes down to Salzburg, Austria.  It is very touristy but it is also a very historically interesting city.  The "old city" portion is a big pedestrian zone with plaza's and historical buildings such as Mozart's birthplace.  There is also a large castle on top of the hill where the Prince-Bishop rules Salzburg for hundreds of years (it is also one of the biggest castles in Europe).  There are also plenty of beer gardens and things to do there.  One tip; if you are renting a car and driving there from Munich, make sure before you cross the border into Austria you stop at a gas station or rest stop and buy a little pass/sticker you put in the windshield of your car (It is called a Maut IIRC).  It is about 10 Euros and if you get pulled over in Austria without that sticker, you can pay a big fine.

Other than that there is plenty to do.  Most people there speak at least decent English so language isn't an issue.  People are generally friendly (Germans in southern Germany are typically friendlier than the ones in northern Germany) and are more than happy to help you.  Food is good but very heavy on pork, beef and fish but light on chicken and turkey.  A fun thing to order is Schlachteplatte (literally translates to Slaughter plate) which typically has 3 different kinds of meat on it.  Tipping is ALWAYS included in the prices on the bill and therefore you do not have to tip but is customary to tip a little bit (I am talking about 3-5ish Euros on a 50-60 Euro meal for example) and almost all payment at restaurants are done literally at the table and in cash.  Public transportation is cheap and extremely reliable so that is always recommended.

Hope some of this helps.

Damn, mein mann knows him some Germany. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks man, I appreciate the long thought-out post. I might try to hit up Salzburg before going back to Frankfurt if I can(Covid rules and all that). The best part about going to Munich in October this year is Oktoberfest was supposed to be canceled. When I checked last week even the Air BnBs in the city center were super cheap. I am hoping to take advantage if I can, but at the same time I almost never get to go on vacation so I am going to try to just have a good time, do what I want, stay where I want, and enjoy myself. 

Only down part is I will be staying up late to catch the first game of the season lol.

Thanks again!

Started my annual October horror movie watching a week or so early. Started with my all time favorite series, A Nightmare on Elm Street. Watched the first one yesterday and number two, Freddy’s Revenge, tonight. 

The third installment, Dream Warriors, holds a special place in my heart because it’s the only one Insaw during its theatrical release. My mom took me to see it at a midnight showing. The crowd was super lively and it was such a fun experience. 

How 80’s is that? My mom took me to a midnight showing of a slasher movie. I was ten years old. Parents used to let 10 year olds (and younger, I had already watched the first two on video) watch slasher movies, and took them to do so at midnight. 

In fact, I’m not even tired, I’m starting it now. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

It’s starting to feel like Fall outside so I’m ready to get into horror mode myself. 

First thing up is probably going to be Midnight Mass on Netflix. It’s by Mike Flanagan (Haunting of Hill House, Haunting of Bly Manor, Dr Sleep, etc). He’s definitely one of my favorites currently working in the genre. 

• Like 1

I remember being about 6 or 7 years old and while my mother was away on business, my dad and I had a weeklong horror movie marathon. I specifically remember the first movie we started with was Pumpkinhead. Those old horror films just have such a unique, fun vibe. And I mean, being that age at the time- aside from the gore I also remember a gratuitous amount of boobies in those old B-horror movies, not sure if I was ready for that but I appreciate my father's efforts in trying to be the cool dad lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s starting to feel like Fall outside so I’m ready to get into horror mode myself. 

First thing up is probably going to be Midnight Mass on Netflix. It’s by Mike Flanagan (Haunting of Hill House, Haunting of Bly Manor, Dr Sleep, etc). He’s definitely one of my favorites currently working in the genre. 

Just saw that tonight when I was checking out Netflix, I put it on my list. 

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I remember being about 6 or 7 years old and while my mother was away on business, my dad and I had a weeklong horror movie marathon. I specifically remember the first movie we started with was Pumpkinhead. Those old horror films just have such a unique, fun vibe. And I mean, being that age at the time- aside from the gore I also remember a gratuitous amount of boobies in those old B-horror movies, not sure if I was ready for that but I appreciate my father's efforts in trying to be the cool dad lol

Best kind of boobies when you are a kid are gratuitous boobies. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Started my annual October horror movie watching a week or so early. Started with my all time favorite series, A Nightmare on Elm Street. Watched the first one yesterday and number two, Freddy’s Revenge, tonight. 

The third installment, Dream Warriors, holds a special place in my heart because it’s the only one Insaw during its theatrical release. My mom took me to see it at a midnight showing. The crowd was super lively and it was such a fun experience. 

How 80’s is that? My mom took me to a midnight showing of a slasher movie. I was ten years old. Parents used to let 10 year olds (and younger, I had already watched the first two on video) watch slasher movies, and took them to do so at midnight. 

In fact, I’m not even tired, I’m starting it now. 

Wow, this is too…well…creepy, heh heh.  Love the first two NOES movies too, and Dream Warriors was the first one I saw in the theater too…also with a very active audience (Freddy’s entrance led to a standing O, and when the hottie nurse who was topless turned around and asked “Do you like my body Joey?”, every adolescent male in the crowd yelled “YEAAAAAAH!”  I remember Wes Craven doing the third one because he didn’t like the first sequel (which he had nothing to do with)…his thing was “OK, you want a sequel, I’ll give ya a sequel!”

The ones after the first three didn’t do much for me.  That one where Freddy breaks into the “real” world (with Wes Craven and the actors playing fictionalized versions of themselves, with the Pet Sematary kid joining the crowd) was kinda interesting…only saw it once.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

and when the hottie nurse who was topless turned around and asked “Do you like my body Joey?”, every adolescent male in the crowd yelled “YEAAAAAAH!” 

I literally cringed last night watching that part, remembering being 10 years old and sitting next to my mom when I first saw it lol. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow, this is too…well…creepy, heh heh.  Love the first two NOES movies too, and Dream Warriors was the first one I saw in the theater too…also with a very active audience (Freddy’s entrance led to a standing O, and when the hottie nurse who was topless turned around and asked “Do you like my body Joey?”, every adolescent male in the crowd yelled “YEAAAAAAH!”  I remember Wes Craven doing the third one because he didn’t like the first sequel (which he had nothing to do with)…his thing was “OK, you want a sequel, I’ll give ya a sequel!”

The ones after the first three didn’t do much for me.  That one where Freddy breaks into the “real” world (with Wes Craven and the actors playing fictionalized versions of themselves, with the Pet Sematary kid joining the crowd) was kinda interesting…only saw it once.

He didn't really make the 3rd one though. He and Bruce Wagner gave them a script which i read and was pretty cool (i don't believe that joey scene was in it though). He brought most of the general ideas of the movie but Frank Darabont came in and worked the script quite a bit and changed a lot with Chuck Russell and that's what we got ultimately. Craven's vision was really the last one we got. Which was interesting but not one of my fav

I personally love part 4 a lot. Not the best story but creatively it was amazing

Edited by SterioDesign

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

He didn't really make the 3rd one though. He and Bruce Wagner gave them a script which i read and was pretty cool (i don't believe that joey scene was in it though). He brought most of the general ideas of the movie but Frank Darabont came in and worked the script quite a bit and changed a lot with Chuck Russell and that's what we got ultimately. Craven's vision was really the last one we got. Which was interesting but not one of my fav

I personally love part 4 a lot. Not the best story but creatively it was amazing

I did not finish #3 last night, so I’ll knock that out and move on to #4. 4 and 5 I have watched much less than the rest. I can still do most of the dialogue from #3, including the proper inflections and everything. I can’t even fathom how many times I have watched that one. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I did not finish #3 last night, so I’ll knock that out and move on to #4. 4 and 5 I have watched much less than the rest. I can still do most of the dialogue from #3, including the proper inflections and everything. I can’t even fathom how many times I have watched that one. 

I was a guest on a horror podcast awhile ago to talk specifically about nightmare on elm street part 3 and 4

https://theterrortable.com/2020/05/ep-163-noesdream-warriors-the-dream-master/