GDT: Last Game of 2023! Devils @ Bruins 7:00 PM EST MSGSN

Rock

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

We’ve been over this ad nauseam. It was understandable why he would roll with the duo that had success last season if the right deal wasn’t there. It’s pretty much at the point now though where he has to do something. Which is a terrible place to be. 

It was certainly Fitz’s position. 

Others of us saw it very differently way back in June, and didn’t see it as responsible or wise at all. 

Time has revealed - emphatically - which view was accurate, and which was naive. 

Edited by smelly

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

I’m gonna say the opposite, it is coaching. Specifically the goaltending coach.

Blackwood went through the same sh!t when his game went off the cliff: he managed his crease like a coke addict. Spastic, atrocious rebound control, literally all over the place.  

It’s not a coincidence our goalies historically don’t know how to calm the fvck down and have atrocious rebounds when there is a common denominator.

Why does Rogalski seem untouchable? We can joke that Marty is protecting him, but seriously...

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Why does Rogalski seem untouchable? We can joke that Marty is protecting him, but seriously...

I can appreciate Fitz trying to give his people time but this is ridiculous at this point. They’re literally wasting games when they have momentum for a playoff position. 

One miracle run by notorious nutcase Jordan Binnington has anointed this clown as the goalie whisperer

What explanation is there for two defensemen that we saw as core players to have fallen off a cliff since the start of the season? That could be a bit harsh in Marino's case, but much of Siegenthaler's season has been so rough. It's either coaching, or Fitz's trade steals weren't actually steals, and all of those players are coming back to earth. I have a hard time buying that these two guys, whose games were centered around smart decision making, have forgotten how to play hockey. It has to be a system/coaching thing.

5 minutes ago, nessus said:

What explanation is there for two defensemen that we saw as core players to have fallen off a cliff since the start of the season? That could be a bit harsh in Marino's case, but much of Siegenthaler's season has been so rough. It's either coaching, or Fitz's trade steals weren't actually steals, and all of those players are coming back to earth. I have a hard time buying that these two guys, whose games were centered around smart decision making, have forgotten how to play hockey. It has to be a system/coaching thing.

I do feel that the team is better than what they’ve shown to date…including Marino and Siegs.

Another way to look at it…if Lindy is coaching either the Rangers or Flyers, do either of those teams have as good of a record as they do now?  Very highly doubtful.

As has been the case all season, it’s multiple parties involved re:  the Devils’ issues, it’s not ALL on Lindy and his staff…but they are not HELPING.  That where the frustration lies.

• Like 1

Brunette should have been coach at the start of the season.  We saw what he did in Florida and his impact with the Devils last season.

Yes, the goalies are not the best, but I believe they are average.  I think the defensive system is flawed.  I don’t know if the stat is available, but it seems like most goals are coming from the right side or the slot because there is always someone with to much space.  

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do feel that the team is better than what they’ve shown to date…including Marino and Siegs.

Another way to look at it…if Lindy is coaching either the Rangers or Flyers, do either of those teams have as good of a record as they do now?  Very highly doubtful.

As has been the case all season, it’s multiple parties involved re:  the Devils’ issues, it’s not ALL on Lindy and his staff…but they are not HELPING.  That where the frustration lies.

The Flyers under Ruff would be in last and Hart would be out of a job.  People can say what they will about Tortorella, he is doing a great job over there with a team many don’t even talk about or joked about during the 2022 offseason.  The Devils are way to talented to struggle like this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

The Flyers under Ruff would be in last and Hart would be out of a job.  People can say what they will about Tortorella, he is doing a great job over there with a team many don’t even talk about or joked about during the 2022 offseason.  The Devils are way to talented to struggle like this.

Torts comes with a shelf-life but he has absolutely done some good things as a head coach.  The Flyers may indeed fall off at some point this year, but he’s gotten much more out of them this year than anyone had any right to expect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nessus said:

There was a shimmer of hope for Siegs in the preseason when he scored in back to back games, iirc. But yea since then and the Dougie injury, Siegs has quickly become our new pylon... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Back to back and with travel in between.  It’s not like they get to go home in their own beds and play the next day.  The Bruins have 5:00 today after playing and traveling to Detroit.  That’s insane.

Later this season, the Devils will play two games in just over 24 hours, as they’re scheduled to face Arizona at 5:00 pm EST on March 16 and Las Vegas at 3:30 pm EST on March 17.  Utterly ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Torts comes with a shelf-life but he has absolutely done some good things as a head coach.  The Flyers may indeed fall off at some point this year, but he’s gotten much more out of them this year than anyone had any right to expect.

Makes you wonder how much better the Devils would be if they had a similar coach behind their bench.  Lindy has shown an aptitude for developing young players, but that aside, he doesn’t offer much as a head coach.

2 minutes ago, vincois said:

We're stuck with VV for now. Buy him out after this season. He's untradeable. I think Fitz has been scouring for months a good "fit" (decent $$, term control) 

Vanecek can be moved, but it will likely cost the Devils an asset with which they’d prefer not to part (e.g., Holtz or Mercer), which may be another reason why Fitz isn’t pulling the trigger on a deal.

2 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Makes you wonder how much better the Devils would be if they had a similar coach behind their bench.  Lindy has shown an aptitude for developing young players, but that aside, he doesn’t offer much as a head coach.

What the Devils would be like with this roster and another coach is very hypothetical. They gave away a good number of games, including yesterday, which I believe was more coaching than skill level. This team definitely needs a good shake up but I believe Lindy is staying, at least till the end of the season. What are our chances with him? Despite still being in a good position, our back-to-back schedule and D/goaltending make me doubt the team can find another gear in 2024. 30+ games is enough to get an idea. However, never say never, the team is young and talented, and my hopes are still high. Happy New Year Devil fans!!!

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m officially done interacting with him. Maybe if everyone does he’ll take his talents to HF or reddit. 

Everyone can do what they want. 

But how you could find anything offensive about my posts in this thread is beyond me. They are substantive, and IMO undeniably accurate. 

The crap I got all summer for suggesting that the Devils’ goaltending was a ticking time bomb was much, worse.  

Maybe I’ll start blaming Lindy in all of my posts.  No one seems to mind that broken record. 

3 hours ago, smelly said:

Everyone can do what they want. 

But how you could find anything offensive about my posts in this thread is beyond me. They are substantive, and IMO undeniably accurate. 

The crap I got all summer for suggesting that the Devils’ goaltending was a ticking time bomb was much, worse.  

Maybe I’ll start blaming Lindy in all of my posts.  No one seems to mind that broken record. 

I've been guilty of giving you a hard time before. I hope you know I am mostly joking around. You've been a long time member here, and despite what I've said in the past I actually do take your inside info into consideration. 

I'm only saying this to try to create some peace around here, and to make this a better place both for you and everyone else. A lot of what you are saying lately is coming off as an "I told you so" or "I was right, you were wrong" attitude, and it is completely beating a dead horse at this point. Yes, we all know goaltending is completely sinking this team. Yes, we all know that Fitz took a gamble this season that did not work out. You were on board with an upgrade in goal from the offseason, but everyone else here has made it to that point by now anyway, so it isn't worth bringing up every single time you post. What is it adding to our board's conversation at this point?

Sure, the smelly hate has been a little over the top lately. Your posts are rarely met with an interest in having a discussion, and more often met with "can you just shut up?" and people ganging up on you instead. But at the same time, there was a poster here not so long ago who would bring up how he was right about Lou all the time when it was neither relevant nor useful information for anyone. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your goaltending talk has been getting really close to that level. And that's why reasonable posters like @Nicomo have been reacting in that way for so long now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1