Fitz?

I think a whole lot of the Fitz criticism is very well earned.  Last year the goalie issue was clear even after he brought into VV.  Bringing in Foote was a complete embarrassment. The loyalty/love affair with Ruff was so over the top it was impossible to comprehend.  He had a better coach (who admittedly had his own baggage already on the bench).  The defense was last year and again this year soft and weak (you can certainly blame some of this years on youth) but a clown like Smith is still there and the rest have gone backwards all season. Fitz was too busy hibernating in the deepest rabbit hole he could find.  I think the last time we had seen him until the last couple of days was the day or two before McLeod and Foote bannings?? (coincidence I think not). 

Hamilton went down what 20 games in,  maybe could of pivoted there.  Palat - bad. Meier aside from his recent heater has been disappointing (yep he was asked to play of his opposite side, he should of been better). 

The whole answer is in the room is well been proven false.

Am I glad they beat the Rags in rd 1 last year, yes of course. As much as we won it the Rags equally sh!t the bed after going up 2-0. But of course all that matter was they won, in spite of Ruff and Fitz imo.  Did I say these things last year, yes sir most certainly did.  I don't think he's all that good. Last but not least and I said it the other day he punted this season away on second down, that's disgraceful.

Do I think FItz will be here at least a couple more seasons regardless of the next years result. Yes no question about it.

Edited by titans04

Never said Fitz hasn’t earned criticism.  This year has been a bad one and sticking too long with Lindy and not making any moves with the cap space he had to work with are black marks against him.

But I definitely give him a shot to hire a new coach and make a move for a goalie.  If he doesn’t get it right with those moves, I think you can absolutely question if he’s the guy.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Never said Fitz hasn’t earned criticism.  This year has been a bad one and sticking too long with Lindy and not making any moves with the cap space he had to work with are black marks against him.

But I definitely give him a shot to hire a new coach and make a move for a goalie.  If he doesn’t get it right with those moves, I think you can absolutely question if he’s the guy.  

If we miss the playoffs next season he needs to be fired. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If we miss the playoffs next season he needs to be fired. 

I think that’s absolutely fair.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As angry as iam with how this season ended up, i do believe we have set ourselves up to make a splash for a goalie and we all know this needs to be done regardless of the cost theres no other way about it. As far as what we get for a coach, man i have no idea what to expect, hopefully we get the right person in here for this job. All in all I do blame the GM for where we are right now for obvious reasons but it just is what it is, im as disappointed as anyone, you watch damn near every game, spend what ends up being for me over a grand to go to as many games as possible and it just seems like year after year its the same song and dance with the exception of last year.. its just deflating.

Just now, 2ELIAS6 said:

As angry as iam with how this season ended up, i do believe we have set ourselves up to make a splash for a goalie and we all know this needs to be done regardless of the cost theres no other way about it. As far as what we get for a coach, man i have no idea what to expect, hopefully we get the right person in here for this job. All in all I do blame the GM for where we are right now for obvious reasons but it just is what it is, im as disappointed as anyone, you watch damn near every game, spend what ends up being for me over a grand to go to as many games as possible and it just seems like year after year its the same song and dance with the exception of last year.. its just deflating.

Given the talent that’s already here, I think the right coach and the right goalie (as well as some other moves, to help the Devils become a little more physical) can get this team back on track.  I get the feeling the coaching search will be very thorough; I suspect Fitz knows he might not get another hire.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

After reading this, I really hope it's Berube. This team needs a coach who can light a fire under their asses and who can inspire them to play even harder. 

https://dailydoseofbuffa.substack.com/p/all-hail-chief-thanks-for-everything

As long as he doesn’t adhere too closely to the script of Gene Hackman/Norman Dale from Hoosiers and insist that the Devils pass the puck at least four times before they shoot.  They’ve already got that down.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

After reading this, I really hope it's Berube. This team needs a coach who can light a fire under their asses and who can inspire them to play even harder. 

If that’s who Fitz lands then I definitely won’t be disappointed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Berube has been my first choice since jump street. Sullivan would also be great if he shakes loose from Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Berube has been my first choice since jump street. Sullivan would also be great if he shakes loose from Pittsburgh.

Sullivan’s under contract for three more years, as the extension he signed in 2022 kicks in after this season.  Do you think he walks away because the team’s headed for a rebuild?

Edited by ButlerBulldog
Typo

9 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Sullivan’s under contract for three more years, as the extension he signed in 2022 kicks in after this season.  Do you think he walks away because of the team’s headed for a rebuild?

Nah I just thought maybe the Penguins might be looking to go in a different direction. Sullivan wasn’t Dubas’ hire.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nah I just thought maybe the Penguins might be looking to go in a different direction. Sullivan wasn’t Dubas’ hire.

Good point…a lot of times GMs want to bring in their own people, and I can see a potential mutual parting here.  Especially with the Guentzel deal appearing to have ripped that team apart.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, slasher72 said:

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If that’s who lands it will be even more frustrating that Fitz pissed this season away.   Berube has been available for months.   At least if he’s been targeting someone like Sullivan, I partially understand the inaction.   

I agree with those who say Fitz deserves time to fix this but man this season has been bad on his part.   Up until this year, I felt like Fitz was as good at his job as the Florida Panthers version of Johnathan Huberdeau was at his.  Then this season we suddenly got the Calgary version.   Hopefully he can right the ship better than JH has.   

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

If that’s who lands it will be even more frustrating that Fitz pissed this season away.   Berube has been available for months.   At least if he’s been targeting someone like Sullivan, I partially understand the inaction.   

I agree with those who say Fitz deserves time to fix this but man this season has been bad on his part.   Up until this year, I felt like Fitz was as good at his job as the Florida Panthers version of Johnathan Huberdeau was at his.  Then this season we suddenly got the Calgary version.   Hopefully he can right the ship better than JH has.   

I’m assuming that Fitz isn’t sold on Berube and that he’s simply not sure who he wants to be his next coaching hire…and like you allude to with Sullivan, also wants to see who else becomes available.  I think he wants to take his time with this and make sure that he’s bringing in someone that he’s 100% comfortable with.

And without question, he has had a bad regular season.  We really are seeing how much missing Hamilton has hurt the team, but this season was still highly salvageable. Fitz’s deadline day gives me hope because it really was a better and more productive day than some give him credit for.  He will be able to hit the ground running for a goalie…no worrying what to do with VV and his cap hit; Fitz has already taken care of that.  I’m guessing most fans assumed that the Devils would either be stuck with him, forced to eat some of his hit for next season, or have to pay a prohibitive price just to get someone to take him.  None of those scenarios came to fruition.  That shouldn’t be minimized.

I know people wanted more for Toffoli, but just because fans think Toffoli SHOULD land a first doesn’t mean there’s a team that will cough one up.  The picks that Fitz did get in that deal can still be package sweeteners for “right now” help.  I feel for the team that does make the mistake of signing Toffoli long-term…that contract will not age well.

What I’m very curious about is if the new coach makes a strong push to keep Holtz here; does he say to Fitz “I know that this kid had a tough time playing for Lindy, but let me work with him, I know that I can fix him.”?  If Mercer goes in a goalie deal, the Devils could sure use a young kid to find his way into the Top 6. We know Jack, Nico, Bratt and the suddenly resurgent Timo are locks up there, but right at this moment, who else?  Fitz may even have to go shopping there, but I would like to see what a coach who actually knows what the hell he’s doing might be able to get out of Holtz.

• Like 2

If the Devils are planning to move a major piece for a goalie this offseason, they better do their best to see what they have with Holtz for the remainder of the season. To be honest, I'm not sure who I would rather move between Holtz and Mercer. Holtz seems like the obvious choice here, since Mercer seems more versatile, and is more proven at the NHL level to this point. But this season, it is hard to argue that Mercer has been better than Holtz, and that is with Holtz getting the awful minutes and linemates that he has had all season. And Holtz is the anti-Toffoli - not quite producing how we would like, but really seems like he could be a great fit for Jack.

27 minutes ago, nessus said:

If the Devils are planning to move a major piece for a goalie this offseason, they better do their best to see what they have with Holtz for the remainder of the season. To be honest, I'm not sure who I would rather move between Holtz and Mercer. Holtz seems like the obvious choice here, since Mercer seems more versatile, and is more proven at the NHL level to this point. But this season, it is hard to argue that Mercer has been better than Holtz, and that is with Holtz getting the awful minutes and linemates that he has had all season. And Holtz is the anti-Toffoli - not quite producing how we would like, but really seems like he could be a great fit for Jack.

For the reasons you cited toward the end of your post, I’d prefer to keep Holtz over Mercer, whose inconsistent play has soured my opinion of him.  After the second half of last season, Mercer seemed as though he was on the verge of playing himself into the “untouchable” category, but his encore has failed to live up to the previous act.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

For the reasons you cited toward the end of your post, I’d prefer to keep Holtz over Mercer, whose inconsistent play has soured my opinion of him.  After the second half of last season, Mercer seemed as though he was on the verge of playing himself into the “untouchable” category, but his encore has failed to live up to the previous act.

Mercer's only 22 years old...not like he's a finished product (take a look at Bratt's Age 22 season).

That being said, if there's a legit goalie to be had and Mercer's the guy that the other absolutely HAS to have, then I gotta pull the trigger at this point; there's simply no one in the pipeline that can possibly step in if Fitz strikes out, and Mercer's future is just too murky to treat him like an absolute untouchable.  I just hope that he's not going in any deal for Markstrom.  If I'm giving up Mercer as part of a package though, I want a guy who should be good for 4-5 years, and not only a couple.

Anyway, now that there's really nothing to do but sit and wait until the offseason, as Fitz can't really do anything more until that time, just some final "for now" thoughts:

Fitz absolutely and decisively lost the battle this season, but can still win the war in the seasons to come, as he's set himself up to do so.  Of course there is MUCH work to do, and given how this season went, this offseason CANNOT turn into any "Well we tried" scenarios.  Once Fitz identifies his most desired targets, he needs to do every last thing to get them here...unless they flat-out say "NO TO NJ!", as long as they're in play and open to coming here, then someone else can't swoop in to scoop them up.  Yes, Fitz may have to overpay in dollars and term for a coach, and will likely have to do the same with a goalie (along with assets), but next season can't turn into hoping Plan Bs and Plan Cs work out.  If the Plan A guys can be had, just GET THEM.

Also, not going to rip Fitz for anything that HASN'T happened yet.  Some assumed that Lindy would get to stick around next year due to the glut of injuries, or that Toffoli would automatically be re-signed to a bad contract, and almost attacked Fitz as though those events were locks to happen.  Neither scenario played out.  He even made the absolute best out of what could have been a rough situation with VV (he's gone with no retainage, and no undesirable players on bad deals came back...as of this offseason, the Devils have fully washed their hands of VV).

Speaking of VV, could he return to form next season and become the mostly solidly average puckstopper (with occasional above-average surges) that he was before?  Sure.  Could Fitz possibly afford to take that risk?  Absolutely not, because heaven forbid had VV turned in another rough year.  As a Met fans who watched Alderson's teams know, Sandy was the fvcking king of "Part Deux" scenarios, where some guys (and managers) just got chance after chance after chance, to an absurd degree.  This year's changes came too late, but at least there's going to be no "try again and hope for the best"...something to be said for that.

Also, I think Fitz is a more than smart enough guy to learn from mistakes...like letting what were obvious personal feelings for Lindy get in the way of doing what was best for the team.  I honestly don't think he'll make such judgment errors again.    

• Like 3

After it was clear Graves, Tatar and Wood wouldnt be back, i waited for appropriate replacements. But none, just depthsignings. Watching the end of last regular season and the playoffs, it sure looked like they run out of gas. Just like this season. Boys really try, but there is just not enough left ... The injuries didnt help and are a fact, not an excuse.

So, very disappointed and a little worried going into te season. After the first games and when injuries started to hit the team, it became clear this team would need help. But no qualityplayers were brought in all season to fix certain holes in the lineup. I think they knew about a potential case coming up for McLeod, another player in this mold: big body, fast ... Anyway they had him on the 4th line to start the season. A guy that had all the tools and qualities you search in a player to play alongside Jack. This was the biggest blow to the devils season imo aside from douggie out and Jack not being at 100%  almost all season. So thats 3 guys missing upfront whit no replacement which led to changes in the system when they finally realized they couldnt play last years system because all of a sudden we simply dont have the personal to do it. This team needs a big body center to play on jacks line, someone that can win puckbattles and play solid defensively, so this line doesnt become a liability, a warrior that can take draws and shield him kinda. We need more warriors on this team and preferably another guy for our bottom 6. Jenner, Bennett, Pinto, Stephenson ... Just throwing names out there that either become UFA or might be available. Look at the Sabres, Yotes, Sens, Philly ... Someone would like to play on a line with Jack and Bratt/Meier i would think. You have to maximize the lines of your two Nr. 1 drafts and provide them with the right players. I dont think Toffoli or Palat should be in the Top 6 of a true contender.

Second priority would be a big physical defenseman that could play top pair minutes. You might have to ship someone like Siegenthaler out. Other teams showed that its possible. Upfront Hertl for Palat would have been a dream haha. As for defense, guys like Rasmus Anderson, Matt Roy, Montour or the Dillons and melons from WPG could be available next summer. Those teams that just loaded up for their playoff run cant sign all their guys, teams still in the rebuild might not be able to bring in all their young talent upfront. There should be plenty of talent out there, but this roster needs work in the offseason.

The last thing I want to hear is our GM stating publicly that he cant force players to sign, he did it twice at least smh. Its like to say, i cant get the job done. There is really something that has to be said about constantly putting yourself in a tough spot, be it for trades (looking very desparate which drives prices up) or just unnecessary statements that potentially come back to bite you. In poker they call it "fish" and everybody (other GMs) wants to play with him ...

From all the action or none-action therefore, i constantly get the feeling that they dont evaluate their players right, same with where the teams stands as of right now and what they truly need. Like whats the true identity of this team and the vision they have to turn this into a serious contender for upcoming years. Maybe after next season with the right pieces in place we have our first real shot, i dunno. I just cant get the feeling, that necessary pieces will be adressed and brought in this summer. The tradedeadline is another missed opportunity, i am just glad he stayed away bringing in Markstrom and resigning Toffoli. Either deal had the potential to get him fired in the end. Money spent on the wrong players and in one case you would even have to sent players/picks to calgary which would be again bad asset management. Sometimes i wonder, if this all is missinformation by our management to hide from their true priorities in players and to drive prices up for other teams, but it sure doesnt look like. In fact, all this looks more like someone desperately trying to save his job then making the right decisions. Speaking about accountability and holding yourself to high standards means also you have to look in the mirror first and be honest with yourself. This season is a complete miss by our GM and they still seem to hold onto their believes that it was just injuries and the team is mostly fine, its definitely not. Like Bizz said on the TNT-pregame show to the LA Game,: "Looking at the devils top 6 aside from Meier, where is the beef, maybe Toffoli nahh ... And Liam just followed up with: Yeah the devils are soft. For them to make such statements should tell you something. To go on a run, we would potentially have to go through the Rangers, Hurricans, Panthers and in the end get one of those heavy teams from the west. Anybody seriously think this team is somewhere close?!?Just look how the successful teams are build.

Its nothing personal, its just from all i have seen this season, i am not convinced that TF is the right guy to get this team back on the right path and i think i really could get worse this summer.

I always try to be positive and i think this season could be a positive in the long run for devils. As they say one step back, to make two ... If that may have helped to identify their true needs, so be it. New contracts for Mercer and other RFAs might come cheaper now, we saved a 1st by not making the playoffs and get to pick higher then expected. Our guys get a longer offseason to diggest this season and get a good rest, get back to work on individual stuff (Gym comes to mind). And finally i dont want to see them crushed by the Rangers or whoever they would play against. Nemec was brought up and got almost a full season under his belt. Not sure why Fitzy goes out and says that wasnt the plan this season. You want to accelerate his developement, the earlier he becomes a force from the backend the better, so we might a have true chance after next season. Good thing the young guns battled through the grind this season has been and all the adversity. They know now what to expect and will be prepaired for the upcoming campaigns and get better with experience. They look promising, no doubt.

I knew this was going to be a long post as the season has piled up some frustrating and more things could be said. its not the time for depthsingings anymore. Need to plant some major flags upfront and on the backend. I bet the guys in net will look a lot better too once they can play again as unit and get defensively sound like last season showed they can. Everything went perfect and nobody should have expected that this season will go just as smooth and that all the young players will take a big step forward simultaniously. So, groundcontrol to major tom ... Please get your head of the clouds and make some hockeytrades to get this team on the path to future success. LGD

• Like 5

2 hours ago, woody footbreaker said:

After it was clear Graves, Tatar and Wood wouldnt be back, i waited for appropriate replacements. But none, just depthsignings. Watching the end of last regular season and the playoffs, it sure looked like they run out of gas. Just like this season. Boys really try, but there is just not enough left ... The injuries didnt help and are a fact, not an excuse.

So, very disappointed and a little worried going into te season. After the first games and when injuries started to hit the team, it became clear this team would need help. But no qualityplayers were brought in all season to fix certain holes in the lineup. I think they knew about a potential case coming up for McLeod, another player in this mold: big body, fast ... Anyway they had him on the 4th line to start the season. A guy that had all the tools and qualities you search in a player to play alongside Jack. This was the biggest blow to the devils season imo aside from douggie out and Jack not being at 100%  almost all season. So thats 3 guys missing upfront whit no replacement which led to changes in the system when they finally realized they couldnt play last years system because all of a sudden we simply dont have the personal to do it. This team needs a big body center to play on jacks line, someone that can win puckbattles and play solid defensively, so this line doesnt become a liability, a warrior that can take draws and shield him kinda. We need more warriors on this team and preferably another guy for our bottom 6. Jenner, Bennett, Pinto, Stephenson ... Just throwing names out there that either become UFA or might be available. Look at the Sabres, Yotes, Sens, Philly ... Someone would like to play on a line with Jack and Bratt/Meier i would think. You have to maximize the lines of your two Nr. 1 drafts and provide them with the right players. I dont think Toffoli or Palat should be in the Top 6 of a true contender.

Second priority would be a big physical defenseman that could play top pair minutes. You might have to ship someone like Siegenthaler out. Other teams showed that its possible. Upfront Hertl for Palat would have been a dream haha. As for defense, guys like Rasmus Anderson, Matt Roy, Montour or the Dillons and melons from WPG could be available next summer. Those teams that just loaded up for their playoff run cant sign all their guys, teams still in the rebuild might not be able to bring in all their young talent upfront. There should be plenty of talent out there, but this roster needs work in the offseason.

The last thing I want to hear is our GM stating publicly that he cant force players to sign, he did it twice at least smh. Its like to say, i cant get the job done. There is really something that has to be said about constantly putting yourself in a tough spot, be it for trades (looking very desparate which drives prices up) or just unnecessary statements that potentially come back to bite you. In poker they call it "fish" and everybody (other GMs) wants to play with him ...

From all the action or none-action therefore, i constantly get the feeling that they dont evaluate their players right, same with where the teams stands as of right now and what they truly need. Like whats the true identity of this team and the vision they have to turn this into a serious contender for upcoming years. Maybe after next season with the right pieces in place we have our first real shot, i dunno. I just cant get the feeling, that necessary pieces will be adressed and brought in this summer. The tradedeadline is another missed opportunity, i am just glad he stayed away bringing in Markstrom and resigning Toffoli. Either deal had the potential to get him fired in the end. Money spent on the wrong players and in one case you would even have to sent players/picks to calgary which would be again bad asset management. Sometimes i wonder, if this all is missinformation by our management to hide from their true priorities in players and to drive prices up for other teams, but it sure doesnt look like. In fact, all this looks more like someone desperately trying to save his job then making the right decisions. Speaking about accountability and holding yourself to high standards means also you have to look in the mirror first and be honest with yourself. This season is a complete miss by our GM and they still seem to hold onto their believes that it was just injuries and the team is mostly fine, its definitely not. Like Bizz said on the TNT-pregame show to the LA Game,: "Looking at the devils top 6 aside from Meier, where is the beef, maybe Toffoli nahh ... And Liam just followed up with: Yeah the devils are soft. For them to make such statements should tell you something. To go on a run, we would potentially have to go through the Rangers, Hurricans, Panthers and in the end get one of those heavy teams from the west. Anybody seriously think this team is somewhere close?!?Just look how the successful teams are build.

Its nothing personal, its just from all i have seen this season, i am not convinced that TF is the right guy to get this team back on the right path and i think i really could get worse this summer.

I always try to be positive and i think this season could be a positive in the long run for devils. As they say one step back, to make two ... If that may have helped to identify their true needs, so be it. New contracts for Mercer and other RFAs might come cheaper now, we saved a 1st by not making the playoffs and get to pick higher then expected. Our guys get a longer offseason to diggest this season and get a good rest, get back to work on individual stuff (Gym comes to mind). And finally i dont want to see them crushed by the Rangers or whoever they would play against. Nemec was brought up and got almost a full season under his belt. Not sure why Fitzy goes out and says that wasnt the plan this season. You want to accelerate his developement, the earlier he becomes a force from the backend the better, so we might a have true chance after next season. Good thing the young guns battled through the grind this season has been and all the adversity. They know now what to expect and will be prepaired for the upcoming campaigns and get better with experience. They look promising, no doubt.

I knew this was going to be a long post as the season has piled up some frustrating and more things could be said. its not the time for depthsingings anymore. Need to plant some major flags upfront and on the backend. I bet the guys in net will look a lot better too once they can play again as unit and get defensively sound like last season showed they can. Everything went perfect and nobody should have expected that this season will go just as smooth and that all the young players will take a big step forward simultaniously. So, groundcontrol to major tom ... Please get your head of the clouds and make some hockeytrades to get this team on the path to future success. LGD

Welcome aboard!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Holy sh!t, did @Colorado Rockies 1976brother join. :P

Heh heh pretty sure he’s got me waaaaaaay beat for longest post ever.  I have my share of short and sweet ones too.

@woody footbreaker welcome to the boards.

• Like 3