Fitz?

48 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The fact that Winnipeg doubled down on their core suggests Helle was never truly available.  I'm not sure Saros is either judging by Trotz's reported ridiculous ask.

I also don’t think Helle was ever really available. Just from the way Bowness tells the story, I think it was a wait and see

Starting to lose my faith in Fitz, between the HC debacle, not addressing the goaltending, potentially considering offering TT 3-4 years... 

I mean, the Palat deal is already aging like milk.  

You take a step back and weigh the good and the bad... dunno, he's approaching a wash at best at the moment.

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Starting to lose my faith in Fitz, between the HC debacle, not addressing the goaltending, potentially considering offering TT 3-4 years... 

You take a step back and weigh the good and the bad... dunno, he's approaching a wash at best at the moment.

I’m with you, but I’m taking a wait and see approach. Let’s see what he gets for Toffoli and how he handles the goalie situation moving forward. He MUST nail the coach hire. 

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The "HC debacle" is not on the Devils nor Fitz.

He hasn't re-signed Toffoli, so not sure why that should be held against him.

Wanna get on him for not addressing needs during the season (despite having money freed up to do so) and letting the situation with Lindy snowball to toxic levels, yeah, he's earned criticism there.

This has been a bad year for him but we were loving most of his moves last season, and even Palat had some nice moments.  His work here isn't yet done, but yeah, he's at a crossroads.

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The "HC debacle" is not on the Devils nor Fitz.

HC means head coach; I think you know that is most certainly on Fitz.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Does Tampa even have a first?

I guess not. Looks like they gave up the first in 2024 for Hagel, which I think is worth it, but seems they also gave up their 2024 second, AND their 2025 first for Jeannot. That's ridiculous. 

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I guess not. Looks like they gave up the first in 2024 for Hagel, which I think is worth it, but seems they also gave up their 2024 second, AND their 2025 first for Jeannot. That's ridiculous. 

That Jeannot trade was terrible 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

HC means head coach; I think you know that is most certainly on Fitz.

I thought he meant Hockey Canada.  My mistake.

• Like 1

I am so farooquin angry about this goalie nonsense. Couldnt we have picked up Raanta for free of waivers yesterday?  I mean as far as throwing doodoo on the wall in Allen godamn giving assets away for him ,omg this fvckin  guy!

Edited by ringtwins
  • Like 1

Finally got all caught up on the moves from today. Overall, not the most exciting deadline, but I can't say I'm upset at much of what happened.

Toffoli:

I really think the media led us to believe that he was valued significantly higher than he actually was. The Guentzel trade supports this. Let's not forget that Toffoli was traded for a severely underperforming Sharangovich last season after Toffoli led  his team in points. I think GMs look for more than just point totals when evaluating a player. We were all so eager to trade him so that he wouldn't be a part of the future of this team, yet we expected a first. It doesn't quite add up. I also don't think Fitz panicked and just took the first offer. The interest was definitely there. The value wasn't.

Allen:

This still feels like a slight overpayment to me, even with the likelihood of it becoming a second being so low (with this season included, he has played more than 40 games one time over the last five). Montreal really wasn't giving up much. He was probably the weakest of their three goaltending options they've had this season. Still, this is a good opportunity for a change of scenery for him. Prior to coming to Montreal, he was a very solid goaltender. I still think he is a better option than what we have had all season. Between him and Kahkonen, they can battle it out for the role of next year's backup.

Kahkonen:

Any excuse to get VV out of NJ works for me. He needed a fresh start, and honestly, anyone new to replace him does not put us in a worse position. Maybe Kahkonen will surprise us.

Miller:

Got something for an expiring UFA who may or may not have been re-signed. But either way, he doesn't move the needle much. Can't complain, even if I did like him as that ideal 7th defenseman.

Holtz:

Well, he's still here. Let's see if he can spend the rest of the season showing that he is worthy of consistent top 6 time.

This summer, I still don't see Saros happening. It just doesn't make sense. Nashville is playing some good hockey lately, and they are fortunate to have one of the top goaltenders in the game to keep them competitive. I'm not sure why they would decide to forfeit their opportunity to continue their good play by getting rid of one of their most important players. Short of them deciding to tear it down and rebuild, I don't see it. It would be another story if they were starting to phase Askarov in, and had evidence that he's ready. I don't think they are at that point yet.

It has got to be Ullmark. Proven, has been in the NHL for years, and has come up with some really good seasons lately. That's what Fitz is looking for. Those playoffs numbers though...

If not him, another option would be to stick with this Markstrom idea, but also be actively planning for the next step. Maybe trying to get a player like Spencer Knight, or really any other high potential prospect they can identify who may be 1-3 years away. I wonder what it would take to pry Wallstedt from Minnesota. He's clearly not ready yet, but I still think this guy could be a star. Big summer for Fitz.

• Like 7

Love your synopsis nessus, spot on IMO

I think Fitz did alright especially at the end of the day.

Launching VV out of here was a Godsend.

I think Fitz, based on his statements today, thinks Allen is his backup next year and the other guy isn't in that discussion now.  It must be Markstrom. Calgary still has that Wolf guy itching to get up

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nessus said:

Finally got all caught up on the moves from today. Overall, not the most exciting deadline, but I can't say I'm upset at much of what happened.

Toffoli:

I really think the media led us to believe that he was valued significantly higher than he actually was. The Guentzel trade supports this. Let's not forget that Toffoli was traded for a severely underperforming Sharangovich last season after Toffoli led  his team in points. I think GMs look for more than just point totals when evaluating a player. We were all so eager to trade him so that he wouldn't be a part of the future of this team, yet we expected a first. It doesn't quite add up. I also don't think Fitz panicked and just took the first offer. The interest was definitely there. The value wasn't.

Allen:

This still feels like a slight overpayment to me, even with the likelihood of it becoming a second being so low (with this season included, he has played more than 40 games one time over the last five). Montreal really wasn't giving up much. He was probably the weakest of their three goaltending options they've had this season. Still, this is a good opportunity for a change of scenery for him. Prior to coming to Montreal, he was a very solid goaltender. I still think he is a better option than what we have had all season. Between him and Kahkonen, they can battle it out for the role of next year's backup.

Kahkonen:

Any excuse to get VV out of NJ works for me. He needed a fresh start, and honestly, anyone new to replace him does not put us in a worse position. Maybe Kahkonen will surprise us.

Miller:

Got something for an expiring UFA who may or may not have been re-signed. But either way, he doesn't move the needle much. Can't complain, even if I did like him as that ideal 7th defenseman.

Holtz:

Well, he's still here. Let's see if he can spend the rest of the season showing that he is worthy of consistent top 6 time.

This summer, I still don't see Saros happening. It just doesn't make sense. Nashville is playing some good hockey lately, and they are fortunate to have one of the top goaltenders in the game to keep them competitive. I'm not sure why they would decide to forfeit their opportunity to continue their good play by getting rid of one of their most important players. Short of them deciding to tear it down and rebuild, I don't see it. It would be another story if they were starting to phase Askarov in, and had evidence that he's ready. I don't think they are at that point yet.

It has got to be Ullmark. Proven, has been in the NHL for years, and has come up with some really good seasons lately. That's what Fitz is looking for. Those playoffs numbers though...

If not him, another option would be to stick with this Markstrom idea, but also be actively planning for the next step. Maybe trying to get a player like Spencer Knight, or really any other high potential prospect they can identify who may be 1-3 years away. I wonder what it would take to pry Wallstedt from Minnesota. He's clearly not ready yet, but I still think this guy could be a star. Big summer for Fitz.

Agree with much of this.

Askarov is playing very well in the AHL and won’t have anything left to prove there.  Saros is also one year away from becoming a UFA and I don’t think Trotz is looking to extend him.  So I can see Trotz promoting Askarov next year, bringing in a solid veteran backup, and then enjoying whatever loot that Fitz sends his way for dealing Saros.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with much of this.

Askarov is playing very well in the AHL and won’t have anything left to prove there.  Saros is also one year away from becoming a UFA and I don’t think Trotz is looking to extend him.  So I can see Trotz promoting Askarov next year, bringing in a solid veteran backup, and then enjoying whatever loot that Fitz sends his way for dealing Saros.

Possibly but a lot of these "small" market teams abhor rebuilding.   You have to think Josi and Forsberg aren't going to want to lose the sure thing in Saros for the final years of their prime.   Given that it was a different management team that drafted Askarov, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Trotz decides to use an Askarov trade to fortify the team around the core of Josi, Forsberg and Saros.  The only problem is that probably means mostly NHL pieces, not futures going the other way starting with Mercer.   I personally would be fine with that.   Mercer is still a bit of a question mark for me after a pretty inconsistent and frankly disappointing season.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nessus said:

He’s a pending UFA, so it’s sh!t or get off the pot time this summer. 

• Like 2

I sometimes wonder why the Devils didn't draft Askarov in 2020. Solid goaltending has been an organizational need since Cory's injuries started affecting him. Askarov was seen as the top goalie prospects in years, and was a top 5 talent in that draft. With two additional picks that first round, the Devils had a really good chance of getting a good forward/defenseman if that's what they were targeting - and they did with Mercer and Mukhamadullin. At the time, they must have been very high on Holtz, and were interested in building pieces to support Jack. It's really too bad that management has seemed to sour on Holtz so much, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if they have an attachment to him from their initial scouting.

In any case, it must just be that goalies are so tough to scout at the amateur level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Possibly but a lot of these "small" market teams abhor rebuilding.   You have to think Josi and Forsberg aren't going to want to lose the sure thing in Saros for the final years of their prime.   Given that it was a different management team that drafted Askarov, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Trotz decides to use an Askarov trade to fortify the team around the core of Josi, Forsberg and Saros.  The only problem is that probably means mostly NHL pieces, not futures going the other way starting with Mercer.   I personally would be fine with that.   Mercer is still a bit of a question mark for me after a pretty inconsistent and frankly disappointing season.   

I would be fine with that. I don't want to see Mercer going to Calgary though. 

1 hour ago, nessus said:

I sometimes wonder why the Devils didn't draft Askarov in 2020. Solid goaltending has been an organizational need since Cory's injuries started affecting him. Askarov was seen as the top goalie prospects in years, and was a top 5 talent in that draft. With two additional picks that first round, the Devils had a really good chance of getting a good forward/defenseman if that's what they were targeting - and they did with Mercer and Mukhamadullin. At the time, they must have been very high on Holtz, and were interested in building pieces to support Jack. It's really too bad that management has seemed to sour on Holtz so much, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if they have an attachment to him from their initial scouting.

In any case, it must just be that goalies are so tough to scout at the amateur level.

I’ve wondered the same at times, re:  Askarov, but Blackwood had looked promising in his two NHL seasons to that point.  I’m guessing that the Devils thought they had their guy.