2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

So come 4/16 (less than a week away)...FINALLY this seemingly endless limbo period comes to a merciful end.

And instead of all of us complaining about what's happened and repeating the same things over and over again about how the Devils got here (the reasons are many), we can see what changes are going to be made, and how Fitz plans to get this thing back on course.  Can't come soon enough.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So come 4/16 (less than a week away)...FINALLY this seemingly endless limbo period comes to a merciful end.

And instead of all of us complaining about what's happened and repeating the same things over and over again about how the Devils got here (the reasons are many), we can see what changes are going to be made, and how Fitz plans to get this thing back on course.  Can't come soon enough.  

Agreed.  What’s happened this season is unfortunate, but I’m hopeful it will prove to be a temporary setback, as there’s still a lot to like about the Devils.  The team’s core four (Jack, Nico, Jesper, and Timo) is very good, and the youngsters (Luke and Simon) are promising as well.  I’m excited to see if Fitz—in addition to finding a new coach and goalie—can add a veteran defenseman to help the younger guys; Dougie, whose return will make the power play stronger; and Marino, who’s poised to bounce back after a rough year.

• Like 2

Ok Fitz…one team has already moved on from its head coach.  I’m sure their search for a new one will begin in earnest.

Please don’t waste time with any “maaaaaaaybe Green” nonsense.  Devils need a new coach too.  Green’s not your man, and everyone from the fanbase to the media can see it.  Start the picking process while the pickins are good.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ok Fitz…one team has already moved on from its head coach.  I’m sure their search for a new one will begin in earnest.

Please don’t waste time with any “maaaaaaaybe Green” nonsense.  Devils need a new coach too.  Green’s not your man, and everyone from the fanbase to the media can see it.  Start the picking process while the pickins are good.

Yeah, I can’t imagine that a guy like Berube will be available for long, as he clearly wants to coach again.  Fitz needs to be proactive about this rather than hoping that the answer is already in the room.  If Berube turns out not to be a fit, Sullivan is another guy in whom I’d be interested, depending on whether he remains in Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Yeah, I can’t imagine that a guy like Berube will be available for long, as he clearly wants to coach again.  Fitz needs to be proactive about this rather than hoping that the answer is already in the room.  If Berube turns out not to be a fit, Sullivan is another guy in whom I’d be interested, depending on whether he remains in Pittsburgh.

There's guys out there for sure.  I have no idea how Fitz's HC depth chart looks, but this can't be an offseason of pivots and Plan B and Cs.  If it turns out that he doesn't want Berube and never did, I wouldn't get it, but OK...but who DO you want Fitz?  Assuming that guy's available right this minute, START THE fvckING CONVERSATION.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz needs to move quickly. No fvcking around. 

Absolutely.  Sullivan’s situation is more complicated due to his currently being under contract with a team that’s still technically in the postseason hunt, so his fate may not be decided for several days or weeks, but Fitz shouldn’t wait for him to become available if other strong candidates are interested.  Berube makes a lot of sense for reasons we’ve outlined before, but it’s possible other names emerge as the coaching carousel starts spinning.  Fitz needs to be ready to pounce if and when that happens.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 2

Just now, njbuff said:

Honestly, if ownership had any balls Fitz should be shown the door too. He blows.

Well, they just extended him, so he’s not likely to leave anytime soon.  That being said, if he screws up the coaching hire and goalie search or otherwise does little to improve the roster, he’ll likely be fired this time next year, as I can’t imagine team ownership wants to waste the prime years of its top four forwards.

• Like 3

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

If there is no coaching change announcement by Friday I'm going to start being extremely worried. Fitz has lost ALL benefit of the doubt.

I doubt that will happen. He's got time and he's going to use it. I don't expect an announcement until the draft or just after the draft at the earliest.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I doubt that will happen. He's got time and he's going to use it. I don't expect an announcement until the draft or just after the draft at the earliest.

Right, but he can at least announce that Green and company aren’t coming back.  That decision shouldn’t take much time, provided Fitz knows what he’s doing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don’t need an announcement of a new coach yet; but I DO need him to confirm Green is out though. He doesn’t have to wait to do that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Honestly, if ownership had any balls Fitz should be shown the door too. He blows.

That's not happening and you know it.  He's going to get at least one more coaching hire and an offseason to course-correct.  If this team struggles next season and he's not finding ways to turn things around, his seat will get very warm.  Said it before but this season became his mulligan.  He'll need to have the Devils consistently making the playoffs for a while before he gets another one.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t need an announcement of a new coach yet; but I DO need him to confirm Green is out though. He doesn’t have to wait to do that. 

Agree.  At least I know once Green is out, the process is underway.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not expecting a new coach until late June at the earliest, but this staff (minus Sarge) needs to go ASAP. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm not expecting a new coach until late June at the earliest, but this staff (minus Sarge) needs to go ASAP. 

Maybe I'm cynical but I doubt we'll get that in an official announcement. I expect him to allow Greene to interview even if he never intends to hire him as a professional courtesy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Maybe I'm cynical but I doubt we'll get that in an official announcement. I expect him to allow Greene to interview even if he never intends to hire him as a professional courtesy.

What I think might happen is that he tells Green his chances of being considered for a permanent position will be strengthened by him consenting to an overhaul of the coaching staff.  If Green agrees, he gets an interview.  If he doesn’t, he’s out, and Fitz fires the rest of the staff (minus Sarge) himself.

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

YEP we’re not getting the satisfactory Tony, Paulie and Sil plugging Green with bullets and tossing him over the Stugots type end. Fitz won’t embarrass his buddy like that. He gave Nas an ‘interview’ too rather than just canning him

• Like 1

So going into next season we should be wearing the stadium series jerseys full time and absolutely retiring the 3rd blacks, final record for the season...

Jersey / helmet records...

Road Whites / white helmets 21-16-1 = 43 points

Home Reds 13-14-2 = 28 points

3rd Blacks 2-7-1 = 5 points

Stadium Series 2-0 = 4 points

Road Reds 0-1-1 = 1 point

Road Whites / black helmets 0-1 = 0 points

Total 38-39-5 = 81 points

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

So going into next season we should be wearing the staidum series jerseys full time and absolutely retiring the 3rd blacks, final record for the season... 

Jersey / helmet records...

Road Whites / white helmets 21-16-1 = 43 points

Home Reds 13-14-2 = 28 points

3rd Blacks 2-7-1 = 5 points

Road Whites / black helmets 0-1 = 0 points

Road Reds 0-1-1 = 1 point

Stadium Series 2-0 = 4 points

Total 38-39-5 =  81 points

I guess I should be glad I got this when I had the chance 🤪.

IMG_0795.jpeg

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

YEP we’re not getting the satisfactory Tony, Paulie and Sil plugging Green with bullets and tossing him over the Stugots type end. Fitz won’t embarrass his buddy like that. He gave Nas an ‘interview’ too rather than just canning him

It’s the respectful move regardless of how irate we are, myself included.

I want to know interviews are starting immediately though. Even if we don’t have a hire, I want to KNOW FOR A FACT we called to get the process rolling.

Fitz can openly advertise who he is chasing, it won’t be a secret to other teams as candidates will probably leverage orgs against one another.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Agreed. 

Think about when you apply for a job - occasionally you might get a message back that HR, or whoever, screened your resume and you weren't accepted; but 9 times out of 10 you don't find out that you weren't chosen for the position until they actually make their decision and hire someone else and the position is removed from job boards.

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

If there is no coaching change announcement by Friday I'm going to start being extremely worried. Fitz has lost ALL benefit of the doubt.

There's probably teams in the play-offs that'll can their coaches when they get eliminated that Fitz might want to look at. Can't see any changes by Friday, but Fitz really needs to be ahead of the curve on this.

Now we've finally got to the end of this season we can, hopefully, say goodbye to the following UFAs: Nosek, Tierney, Smith, MacDermid, DeSimone and Kahkonen. I will miss none of them.

The RFAs are Mercer, Nolan Foote, McLeod and Cal Foote. I'm guessing the last two will be gone. Nolan Foote could still have a bottom six role imo if he is finally healthy, so, maybe a one year prove yourself deal. I'm pretty sure we all want Mercer back. After this season I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a bridge deal as I don't think anyone really knows where he's going to end up yet.

At the AHL level there will be the usual large turnover of players with the only notable RFAs being Clarke, Hatakka, Daws and Schmid, and it wouldn't shock me if they all return.

• Like 1