Game Thread: Buf @ Nj

Derek21

The attendance was 11,841, Tuesday game against the Sabres who are not much of a draw.

I hope a ton of Rags fans didn't buy up the tickets for Thursdays game, we'd been steadily closing the gap over the past couple of years, but with the way we've been drawing lately it looks like the crowds could be back to 50/50 at the CAA.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I sit around and watch the scoresheet on NHL.com for all of the first period and the first bit of the 2nd... and we're down 2-0.

I then leave for the rest of the 2nd and most of the 3rd... and come back to see us up 3-2.

And less than a minute later, while sitting watching the scoresheets and in the chat room, the Sabres score and tie it up.

Then I leave again right before OT and the Devils pull out a victory.

Mayhaps they do better when I'm not here to watch the scoresheets? That'd be disappointing.... :(

Regardless. Devils victory. Sweet. :evil:

I'm the good luck to your bad luck. :)

I was gone the first two periods. And home to see the good stuff.

Just as an aside:

The high sticking on Danton that people were complaining about not being called was not a penalty. The buffalo player was following through on a backhand clearing attempt and hit Danton on the follow through which is perfectly legal. Just a heads up. I agree that overall the officiating in the game was poor.

-Scott

They really got to let them play.

Chico and Emrick were talking about something like "powder puff" hockey or something like that. I really don't want to see that -- no matter how exciting the league finds Mario scoring on power plays.

It's HOCKEY. There's an element of physical contact involved.

Just glad the team banded together and decided not to go under.

Just as an aside:

The high sticking on Danton that people were complaining about not being called was not a penalty. The buffalo player was following through on a backhand clearing attempt and hit Danton on the follow through which is perfectly legal. Just a heads up. I agree that overall the officiating in the game was poor.

-Scott

No, that's not true. Because you are supposed to be in control of your stick at all times and are responsble for it.

Sheesh, what a wild game tonight. I guess it's reflected in the # of posts in the Game Thread - the most I can remember so far. Typical Devils - play like crap for 40 minutes then the charge comes...but unlike prior years these are at least not futile comebacks. This was even more preposterous than the Anaheim game IMO...my god Buffalo (a.k.a the only team below the Thrashers and everyone else in the East) was sailing towards an easy win. Only by the grace of God, er Marty did we stay in the game for the first two periods. Then of course after the team gives me a headache the first two periods, the headache dissapears after the Devs go bing, bing, bang in the third. Then I get ogida again after the Sabres tie the game...then Nieds, just as I am getting tired of his act myself (that was a horrendous penalty in the first) scores the OT winner.

Nieds in a nutshell (push you to the brink of outright frustration then you remember why he's an essential part of the team), the team in a nutshell :lol:

But 11-5 and STILL no two-game losing streak; I'll take it.

From what I saw, up until early in the 2nd period, it was powder puff hockey with very little flow. Tight checking, but very cautious checking.

In order to add some more flow to the games they need to move the goal creases back to where they used to be up until 98. Move each crease 2 feet back and open up the neutral zone a little more. Right now it's still very congested and tight checking, this should open things up a bit more.

devspage:

Chico and Emrick were talking about something like "powder puff" hockey or something like that.

Actually that was Stan's quote, though Chico and Doc were also ripping the fact that the officials weren't letting the players play.

At one point Stan said power puff by mistake and I immediately thought...gee, what an apt name for our PP...the "Power Puff (though they DID at least get one tonight)". ;)

My observations for the night:

1. Boy do we need Jamie Langenbrunner.

2. My God, Colin White has a slapshot? What's the world coming to?

3. We finally get to see Oleg's storied slapper, and yes, it live up to the hype

4. Difference in this game? One Martin Brodeur. He made great save after great save, it's nice when you defense can take the day off every now and then isn't it?

5. Officiating in this game was the worst I've seen in a long time. BUT, Niedermayer's penatly was earned, I'm sorry, you just do not pull someone down during a delayed penalty kill, especially when that someone is in the neutral zone, skating away from the goal. That being said, I saw Devils pulled down numerous times with no call, the penalties that were called on us were at times, ludicrous. Marty got called for 'roughing' after he was run over by about 3 Sabres. Now, I've seen this kind of thing happen a lot, and the goalie is always allowed to retaliate for garbedge like that as long as he doesn't go to far. I didn't even see what he did.

7. Devils have an obscene advantage in regular season overtime with 3 puckrusing dmen and the best puckhandling goalie in the league. Refer to tonight's goal: Nieuwendyk to Rafalski to Niedermayer. Simply beutiful. Too bad that advantage doesn't translate into the playoffs.

8. I am getting more discouraged by this Devils team. Why can't they get motivated? Everyone who saw them tonight know's that they played like an AHL team for the first two periods, and even half of the third. Seriously, it was that bad, maybe even worse. We played about 8-9 minutes of good hockey tonight and scored 4 goals. When we were in scoring mode it was like a totally different team. Not just faster or anything like that, smarter, better passes, more anticipation. It's seriously rediculous that we can't do that for more than a period.

Was at the Ranger game and that was wild. Noticed that NJ was trailing 2-0 and then all of a sudden it was 2-2.

Must have been a weird game. We sat down at the 31st Street Sportsbar and caught Niedermayer's OT winner. I must say it was a little weird. The puck seemed to bounce off a couple of players in front and off Miller's stick and in.

I guess Buffalo must really suck. Was that the last straw for Ruff? I know my friend wants him gone and would like to see Ted Nolan back.

Anyone think Brodeur might wear out?

He's not 25 anymore and he seems to start every game for New Jersey.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game Thursday. It should be fun :D .

My observations for the night:

1. Boy do we need Jamie Langenbrunner.

I think it proves that we need ALL our regulars. We can get by with one out, but not more than one out.

I think the game proves that we have a team of weapons. And if you have two contained, there are two more just waiting to knock your block off.

Marty was amazing. Shoulda got all three stars. Weird to say that in a game where three goals went by, but it coulda been two more before the team got their s*** together.

Boy, Tivo was glad to get off the donut. :)

I guess Buffalo must really suck.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game Thursday. It should be fun :D .

Point one - because they couldn't close against NJ they must really suck huh? It was a close game and they got a point out of it. It's not like they lost 5-0 to Nashville or something.

Point two - are you serious about bringing up this "Gee whiz maybe the Devils oughta rest Brodeur" like it's some novel concept on this board?

Point three - Yeay! Let's go DEVILS!! :evil:

Marty may not be 25 but I would not call 30 all that old :blink: I don't think fatigue is going to be much of a factor as long as the games get spaced out a few days apart, AND his defense doesn't stink like it did last game.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Schwab get at least one game soon but then I feel much more confident we'll get the win with Marty in net..... what can I say...

I guess I'm about as worried as you should be about Blackburn starting every game with Richter concussed?

Marty may not be 25 but I would not call 30 all that old :blink: I don't think fatigue is going to be much of a factor as long as the games get spaced out a few days apart, AND his defense doesn't stink like it did last game.

I'm referring to what it could mean for your team come March-April.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Schwab get at least one game soon but then I feel much more confident we'll get the win with Marty in net..... what can I say...

The bottom line is fans can't assume Schwab wouldn't have been equally as brilliant in last nite's game. He's a capable backup and that's what NJ signed him for. To fill in adequately when Brodeur needs a game off.

I guess I'm about as worried as you should be about Blackburn starting every game with Richter concussed?

Blackie's a whole 19 years of age. Brodeur's 11 years older.

The only concern I got is Richter's concussion syptoms. If he is expected to be out as long as they say, then obviously, the team will need a backup goalie who can give Blackie a rest at about the same rate Brodeur rests which is not much.

So I sit around and watch the scoresheet on NHL.com for all of the first period and the first bit of the 2nd... and we're down 2-0.

I then leave for the rest of the 2nd and most of the 3rd... and come back to see us up 3-2.

And less than a minute later, while sitting watching the scoresheets and in the chat room, the Sabres score and tie it up.

Then I leave again right before OT and the Devils pull out a victory.

Mayhaps they do better when I'm not here to watch the scoresheets? That'd be disappointing.... :(

Regardless. Devils victory. Sweet.

Funny story Dew. It sounds like something I saw in A Bronx Tale.

In that movie, there was this one older guy who always seemed to bring bad luck to the gangsters. One time, they were at a horserace and their horse was in the lead and then they saw that guy there cheering for it.

They ripped up the tickets and got up and left. Sure enough, the horse lost :lol: .

Will you be upset if in chat I type GET OFF LINE WALLY :o j/k my friend but if it works well I hope you understand :uni:

Hah! Sure thing Dew -- you can yell at me to get offline anytime they're playing. But only 'cause you asked so nicely... and you had that hilarious story to boot! Wally ever been back to CAA?

Gadzooks! I bet I know what happened: he got so discouraged from that night that he went and became a RANGERS fan! THAT'S why they haven't made the playoffs recently -- it's Wally Curse! :ph34r: