Economy

ARENA2005

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to see some hockey games & Devils were the closest to home. Before that I liked the Rangers 'coz they were only team in town & Dad liked them. And actually watched Rags games on channel 9 (thats WWOR to you kiddies) back in the 70s.

Anyway, thought of the Isles, but Nassau was too far. Rags were closer but that $2.00 bridge toll was too much for my 23-year old budget.

Devs had tickets for like $16 each & only $3.00 for parking.! So 4 of us would go, everybody but driver paid $1 for parking, pounded some beers and had a great time.

Then came Burke & the 10-0-1 run to make the playoffs, by bumping out Rags. (The only time we ever "eliminated" them). I wuz hooked...

I was always a hockey fan, I became a Devs fan during those playoffs in the early '90s against the Pens when the Devs goals kept getting disallowed.

Something just didn't seem right, so I took up the cause!!!!

AAAhhhhhh....Boschmann's disallowed goal in game 6 that would have brought them ALL the way back to a 4-4 tie........Fraser I think!

Would have won it in OT!

It went in off his STICK, not his SKATE!!!

RIPOFF!!!

:evilcry:

Definitely a ripoff. I was watching it with my Dad who worships at the shrine of Mario and he of course disagreed. What is it about Whinio worshippers that they suddenly go either completely blind or start having visions of things that aren't there? Has this disease been diagnosed by the medical community????

On 3/19/02, about 3:15 pm CST. ;)

Being a native Texan, I can't help it that my hockey exposure only began in 1993 when the North Stars became the Stars. I fell in love with hockey so fast, I can't believe it! But my knowledge of hockey was mostly limited to the Stars, their players, and their system. Thankfully, it was all good! But somewhere along the way, I became a huge fan of Joe Nieuwendyk's - which was not at all unusual in Dallas, even though Modano & Belfour got all the press - so whatever team Joe plays for now will be at least tied for #1 in my heart. :)

Sorry that being a Devils fan is "only" because of one player, but once you start paying attention to a team, for whatever reason, you begin to become a fan of the team, and that's what has happened with me. I'll always be a Devils fan now, even if Joe moves on or retires.

I didn't really get into watching or semi-following hockey until 1986-87 season playoffs. Then had a lapse of not following it again until 1991. Since then, I've been a 100% Devils fan, despite the lack of televised games in a Flyers/Rangers market. Enjoying our success and making it a point to annoy as many Flyer and Rangers fans at my work place. :burn:

Loving ever game on NHL Center Ice and getting up to see 1-4 games a year.

Another converted Isles fan. Didn't have cable where I grew up in queens until 1990 so in late--80's didn't see much hockey at all b/c I was also in college---no cable there. Always hated the Rangers though so when they had to win 7 or so games in 87-88 to knock the Rangers out I was rooting pretty hard for them. Then Mclean happened and I had to root for them in the playoffs. Interest in Isles was waning b/c couldn't watch them to I made the switch. Would drive to my aunt on LI to watch games on SportsChannel (I miss them---remember SC Light where you got a 30 minute recap with all highlights ??). Been hooked ever since.

Now though I'm 34 w/ wife and kid---have to say I'm losing some interest. Someone offered me free gold circle seats to Rangers game and I didn't want to go. I'd just rather watch on TV in the comfort of my home. 5 years ago that would have NEVER happened. They should analyze me-----I'll bet they'd get some insight into their attendance woes. :lol:

M. I don't know if I'm ashamed or honored!

Should I add that I lived in Minnesota when I was 2-4 and it was just standard procedure that all town residents went to high school hockey games even though their kids weren't even in school yet?

My high school in CT had a kickass hockey team too...private schools eventually kicked our butt every year. One thing that added to my dumping of hockey though was that the former hockey star of our school died in a car accident on my 16th birthday. It was really awful. I never had a total crush on him because he was a Ranger fan...but he'd always been really nice when I'd pick an Islanders Ranger fight...he'd just agree with me

I, too, am a converted Isles fan, but with a twist. I was a Chico Resch fan growing up, so his trade to the Colorado Rockies broke my heart. When the team moved to NJ, I split my loyalties between the two. I lost touch with hockey after moving to VA, but got interested again in '96 and quickly became a Devils fanatic (and the yearly opportunity to check in with Chico when I make the trip up is one of the reasons!!)

I saw Chico the other night... I didn't say anything or anything...I'm ashamed because all I could think was that he was so small!

Then all I could think was that line from Blazing Saddles when Hedly Lamar see's Douglas Fairbanks' footprints outside of Groman's chinese:

"How did he do such great stunts with such small feat?"

too much information huh?

How did you become a Devil fan?

My team was in Kansas City...they moved to Colorado...then I got lucky and they moved to New Jersey :clap: I have followed this team since '74...it is odd to think back on some of those old players...Beck, Kitchen, McDonald ...Craig Patrick, GM of the Pens, scored the last goal for the Scouts...anyway...glad there is a team here...after 20 years in NJ I sometimes wonder if I would keep following them if they moved again :unsure:

btw...you ain't seen bad unless you watched the Scouts or the Rockies...no matter what the Devils dish out it was and cannot ever be that bad...Scouts had 15 wins the first season and 12 the 2nd season...then they moved to Colorado and weren't much better :o

Since late in the season in '94. I always liked hockey. My sister was a part-time Pittsburgh fan so that is where I started. I started watching games more at the end of the '94 season then into the playoff games. In '95 when my husband would watch games he got me into the game, rules and whatnot. In '96 I was on my way and I now watch more hockey and go to more games than he does. For those foofy women who try to tell me that hockey is not a "hobby" ('tis so much more!), bite me! :evil: It rules my schedule from late Sept./early October until the season ends. Early exits are hard to take and any playoff eliminations take a good 1-2 weeks (let's not talk about 2001--that took much longer!) to heal.

There is nothing that beats being at a game with the loyal fans that are there, the cold air, the sight of that little rubber biscuit going j u s t past the goalie and the crowd jumping up with a roar to celebrate! AHH! :evil: Pure joy :wub:

I'm the same way with the new guys and those leaving, Paige.

One of my friends and I were talking about players leaving and we said we'd probably end up keeping track of a ton of other different teams because on of "our boys" is now on there. Of course Devils will be top priority, always.

since the 95 cup. sega genesis nhl 94 introduced me to hockey.

The PC version of EANHL94 wasn't bad either... (According to that game Jarrod Skalde was our best player :D ) still the best game and one of the reasons I started following NHL more closely (Though I have always followed hockey trough the Swedish Elite leuage)

sega genesis nhl 94 introduced me to hockey.

It's funny... NHL '94 and '95 for Genesis were my favorite video games for a long time (and still easily rank in my top 10; but that's for another thread), but I only casually followed hockey then. I even remember getting miffed at SportsCenter for putting NHL highlights above the NBA. Now I'm eXactly the opposite and I can't understand why NHL highlights and stories aren't at the top of each and every edition of SportsCenter.... :D

When did I become a Devils fan? 2000-2001 playoffs, courtesy of my friends Bill (Sheeps), Brian (Battousi, when he posts -- where are you Brian?), Eric (posted 3 times on the old boards, heh). I remember they got were watching all the playoff games and invited me over to watch. I knew the basics about hockey, but no real details. Then the more I saw of it the more I liked it. And what a great way to get into it -- with a bunch of great friends while watching a team go to a game 7 final. One of my most vivid memories was being in Philadelphia after our senior prom and watching one of the games from the hotel room instead of going out on the town!

Anyway, that's when they got me hooked on it, and now I'm a hardcore hockey fan and just read about the Devils of the present, past, and future, as well as hockey and its history in general, whenever I get the chance.

What a great sport. What a great team.

I have a (what I think is rare) copy of a Swedish Elite League NHL 95 on my computer. It's basically exactly the same as regular nhl 95 only with swedish teams and players. They have some current and former nhlers in the game like Smoke Salo ;) Dick Tarnstrom, Nic Havelid, Marcus Ragnarsson, Lindgren, Hoglund, Loob, Svehla, Djoos, Jonsson. Some of these guys were 2-3 years away from coming to north america when this game was being made in 94.

I have a (what I think is rare) copy of a Swedish Elite League NHL 95 on my computer. It's basically exactly the same as regular nhl 95 only with swedish teams and players. They have some current and former nhlers in the game like Smoke Salo ;) Dick Tarnstrom, Nic Havelid, Marcus Ragnarsson, Lindgren, Hoglund, Loob, Svehla, Djoos, Jonsson. Some of these guys were 2-3 years away from coming to north america when this game was being made in 94.

I remember that game too... A friend of mine has it for his old sega...

I've got to say that I really enjoyed reading everyone's stories. This is a great topic!

My devils fanaticism started slowly. In 1995, I carpooled kids to and from school and one of them asked me to please put the car radio on to listen to the NJ Devils during one of their playoff games. I couldn't deny the kid, even though I was NOT a hockey fan. I loved baseball and the only thing I knew about hockey was from watching the fights every night on the evening news, which turned me off! Then my husband's friend, who was an avid devs fan, talked my husband into going to a few games here and there. "No honey, quite allright. You go and have fun!" I was not interested. One day, while shopping at Modells, they offered a promotion where if you buy "x" amount of merchandise they gave you two tickets to a preseason devils game. We went and had a great time. Next, my oldest son started playing roller hockey. He started accompanying my husband to the games along with the buddy. One Christmas I decided to buy the two of them tickets to a devils game. They thought that was a great gift and had fun going to the game. Male bonding time! Next my son begins to play Ice Hockey. I happened to see an ad from a store, specializing in ice hockey equipment, announcing its grand opening with an appearance from a NJ Devils Player there to sign autographs, with all of the money collected going to help a local youth who was experiencing a medical problem. We made plans to go. It was Sheldon Souray, in his first year with the club. We waited our turn outside in the cold December air to go inside the store. By that time my husband and our two boys all had NJ Devils Winter Coats, hats, gloves, etc. They were all decked out! When I was able to take a glimpse inside the window I noticed that there were two guys sitting at the table. The second guy was a new player that was just traded to the Devils, Jason Arnott. As we approached the table the two of them were extremely nice, letting my kids step behind them in order to take pictures. They signed whatever we gave them. They were smiling and laughing and extremely friendly. These two guys were so gorgeous they took my breath away!(Even though I was old enough to be their mom's!!) I started watching the games on TV, along with my guys, in order to see my new "buddies" Sheldon and Jason. I began to fall in love with the game. It was fast and exciting. It got my adrenalin flowing. It was much better than watching baseball or even football for that matter! It was skill and speed and luck all rolled together. It had young stars trying to prove themselves. It had older veterans, trying to prove that they were still valuable. It had agitators and enforcers. Everyone seemed to have a role. I began to read the sports section daily. I began to read online accounts of the game. I looked for people to talk to, who shared my new passion for Devils hockey, but found few. I found the boards at NJO and was happy to read what other fans thought about the players and the games. I began buying jerseys. I attended games. I go early to always (ALWAYS!!) watch the pre-game practice. I study the players, trying to figure out who were that night's scratches. I watch the speed and the skill levels of the players as they shoot that tiny disc past the goalie, and I watch the brilliance of the quick reaction times from Martin Brodeur. I am now truly hooked. I collect players cards, posters, helmets, even cereal boxes (from Canada) of these Devils. I join the fan club. I attend charity softball games. I go to pre-season practices at South Mountain Arena. I wear my 14kt gold NJ Devils Medallion daily. I plan a visit the Hockey Hall of Fame while on a family vacation in Canada. I watch my team as they fight through the 2000 Stanley Cup Playoffs (even though Sheldon, my first Devils favorite has been traded by now). I rejoice that my favorite team has battled like warriors and have won the big prize!! I buy my Stanley Cup medallion from the fan club and begin wearing that with extreme pride. I attend the Cup celebration and tape every party event from it on the TV. I am proud to be a Devs fan! I watch every game on TV (yes, even Metro) and try to get to the stadium as much as I can afford in order to support my team. I have surpassed my husband and sons in the Devils "fanatic" category. Devils hockey is now in my blood as I bleed Devils RED.

yea it was made by nhl, I have it on my emulator

I also have the very first hockey game ea sports made, It came out before the original NHLPA hockey in 91(the one with the devils and kings in the intro)

it was called EA Hockey and had only international teams. The game was lightning fast, like everybody had a 99 speed rating.

Wow.. I have NHL92 for emulator and I thought that was primitive.. funny game, you can start a fight every 10 seconds (even during the Stanley Cup celebration), and the players on each team were only numbers, no names.. took me a trip to hockeydb to figure out that Lee Norwood and Brendan Shanahan were on the team..

Guy Lafleur is on the Nordiques (who are pitiful) so is the late Stephane Morin and Bryan Fogarty.

Larry Robinson is on the Kings, he's in nhl 93 too I believe

Oates, Scott Stevens, and Brind'Amour are Blues

that game is a relic, pittsburgh still has the skating penguins logo, the whale is still puke green, Minnesota has the old look, the devs have some green trim. The crease is still a square inside a semi circle. no lightning, panthers, predators, coyotes etc. the way it should be :D

Summing it all up---it seems like there are three distinct groups:

a few really old school folks--the pre----87-88 crowd;

a bunch of people that became fans in 87-88 (myself included)--many of these people seem to be converted Islander fans;

and the relative newbies that became fans in the mid-90s.

Interesting . . . .