What's Lou's Next Move...

msweet

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jdub, i can't see what palffy's signing have to do with what lou has to do.

Don't worry, he said he'll do something and as you can see from our roster a move will be done. Mind, this might not come before the start of the season but if needed a trade will be made before christmas.

Pittsburgh won't be a laughing stock anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they'll be a team that does a lot of scoring and a lot of being scored on. They won't contend with that defense.

They'll be one of two things.

1)goal scorer's delight, fun as hell to watch

2)washington part 2

if you look at washington heading into the 03-04 season they had one hell of a lineup offensively and they did score quite a bit, but defensively their no.1 was brendan witt and kwitikowski was in their top 4, they got owned defensively all year long, and as good as kolzig was, its hard to be god at age 33 with that kind of defense.

I don't think the latter will be as likely but if they don't pick up a goaltender and go with fleury and caron again their really going to ruin two really great goalie PROSPECTS. They both have remarkable potential. But potential doesn't mean instant success. Cujo would be a move that pisses me off as a fan of cujo, but would be a very smart one.

Fleury needs at least one more year in the minors. He was brutal this year. He showed huge flashes of potential, but needs to harness it and learn this very underrated thing called consistency.

Thats still an improvement from the last year for Pittsburgh.

Bure is intriguing but I still think he would come at too high of a price. Maybe the best thing that we could see outside of bringing in another top six forward is seeing John Madden get taken to arbitration by the Devils.

and as good as kolzig was, its hard to be god at age 33 with that kind of defense.

ehm, bruins, i think you have been at hf too much, 33 is no age for a goalie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're kidding me, goalies are past their prime by age 33. Age 29-32 or something is their peak. Their reflexes and such start to fade by 33. There is no way 99-00 kolzig is the same as this past one. That kolzig could have done great with that type of defense.

Are you trying to say, kolzig should have done fine with washington this year?

btw, even if you, are kolzig while struggling at first had one hell of a finish to the year.

Are you suggesting goalies dont develop by age 26 (the whole discussion on drafting goalies under the new CBA free agency rules), and are washed up by 29-33?

Most goalies can play to about 37-38... after that, they typically take a dive.

no bruins I don't care how kolizig played last year. What I'm trying to say is that there is no way your statement "its hard to be god at age 33" is valid.

in your response you write ". Age 29-32 or something is their peak. Their reflexes and such start to fade by 33" so, by that reasoning a goalie is pretty close to his peak at 33 and has more experience. It's not like you said 38 or 39, then I might have agreed with you.

oh, and

"btw, even if you, are kolzig while struggling at first had one hell of a finish to the year."

:huh: what?

Edited by Swede

and as good as kolzig was, its hard to be god at age 33 with that kind of defense.

ehm, bruins, i think you have been at hf too much, 33 is no age for a goalie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're kidding me, goalies are past their prime by age 33. Age 29-32 or something is their peak. Their reflexes and such start to fade by 33. There is no way 99-00 kolzig is the same as this past one. That kolzig could have done great with that type of defense.

Are you trying to say, kolzig should have done fine with washington this year?

btw, even if you, are kolzig while struggling at first had one hell of a finish to the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, bruins is right. Hasek only won 3 Vezina Trophies and a Hart after his 33rd birthday; he was finished.

Patrick Roy? Done after 97-98. Only averaged a 2.10 GAA with a .915 SV% with a Conn Smythe trophy after his 33rd birthday.

Talking about Bure, what about bringing back Pavel to the nhl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he could play, he is under contract with the NYR. But he can't play. After Danton hit him in pre-season in 2002, it took care of whatever cartilege he still had in one of his knees (actually, see part of today's Rodent's Rant at www.hockeyrodent.com for more on this). He tried to play on it for a little while longer but it simply became impossible. As reported by his doctors, he can skate forward, but he can't turn. And he'll never be able to turn. He's done.

It's a shame and, if it's true that Danton stuck his knee out deliberately in order to try to increase his chances of making NJ by taking out Bure, it's just SAD.

Maybe I'm evil but there are better things to dislike Danton for.

I think Bure was sick of hockey -- I'm a jackass I confess and extremely UNsympathetic towards injury I realize. This is one of the reasons I wish Stevens would freaking TALK! I need to learn vicariously how to acknowledge HONEST physical limitation and stop thinking everyone is a whiney wuss!

I'm not saying that's all we should dislike Danton for. But really, if he thought it would help him get on the team, do you think he would have stopped at someone's knee? No, he would have gone for the head, except that would have been to blatent. It's not like he had a conscience.

You guys really aren't listening or reading very well.

I didn't say they were done by 33 i said its hard to be god by 33.

So once again by taking a simple statement to a dumb extreme, you misinterpret me

o and tri? Yes roy and hasek where still goalie gods by 33, but outside of roy, hasek, sawchuk, plante, hall, and those other top 10 hall of fame guys like belfour, on the average how many goalies are still sharp and winning and being a top 5 goalie by 33?

edit

btw i was wrong bout kolzigs age it was 35, showing how even harder it must have been to be a GOD to save washington all season

look i even bolded and capped it for you to prevent a "misunderstanding"

Edited by RD

Maybe if you could keep your arguements straight and be clearer people wouldn't "misunderstand" you so much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

show me in the original post where i mentioned anything about him being done?

maybe if people would read instead of instantly trying to find a reason for some sh!tty mock statement or being a smartass i wouldn't have any misunderstandings eh?

show me in the original post where i mentioned anything about him being done?

maybe if people would read instead of instantly trying to find a reason for some sh!tty mock statement or being a smartass i wouldn't have any misunderstandings eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably won't find it bruins. I understood what you were saying. Most goalies will start to decline when they get older.

Only the best can stay on top that long.

Hasek was a rarity. And don't forget he was a late riser. Which is probably why most of his success came when it did.

I'm more curious to see if Brodeur can maintain his level a la Roy because that was from the beginning of his career.

But these days goalies (as do all players) can last longer with the more sophisticated training and advances in medicine and the like. His original post he said goalies are past their prime, which I'm not even sure that has to be true. Hasek, Roy, Belfour, even CuJo to an extent didn't fade that much till later on. True reflex goalies will fade at around that point, but if you're technically sound as most top goalies these days are you can last much longer.