Ack -- What Do We Do?

Elias Sports Bureau

Looks like we're about to have a glut of mid-level players back, since Gionta and Guolla are nearing returns. What do we do???

I think Rupp's pretty much got Guolla's spot. I'd like to see Gionta in Berglund's. Rupp-Gionta can play with Brylin, and then give Stevenson a more effective spot back on the Chaos Line, since the comfort level there is pretty good.

McKenzie's gonna have to start sitting. He can play and boost Brylin to the third line to spell Stevenson. And now I haven't mentioned Berglund at all. Whoops!!! Burns might try Gionta up on the top line. Then we could try a Berglund-Rupp-Bicek thing. That might work out OK too.

Yikes. We're going to be sitting some guys, definitely. The way I see it is as follows:

Order of most likely to be benched:

1. McKenzie. He'll play in games against bigger clubs such as Philly, Toronto, etc. Otherwise he'll ride the pine.

2. Guolla. Gotta prove he deserves to be a starter again... definitely has his work cut out for him.

3. Berglund. Been scratched since Pandolfo came back, with the exception of last night's game. Burns doesn't seem too stressed to use him as a healthy scratch.

4. Rupp. Seems to still play strong, even if it doesn't always show up on the stat sheets. I think Burns enjoys having a big 4th line center that can shake up the PP and win faceoffs as well as post some points.

5. Bicek. Been playing great with Gomez and Elias, but I have a feeling that Gionta's return may be the end of that great (IMO) line....

Gionta. The organization loves to use him, and I see him getting put back into the lineup as soon as he's able again. Probably on the top line in place of Bicek, though he could really be thrown in anywhere -- depends on what the Devils want from him.

Lines I'd like:

Gomez-Elias-Bicek

West Coast Line

Pandolfo-Madden-Brylin

Stevenson-Rupp-Berglund

Gionta, Guolla, McKenzie the odd men out.

Lines I expect:

Gomez-Elias-Gionta

West Coast Line

Pandolfo-Madden-Brylin

Stevenson-Rupp-Guolla

Berglund, McKenzie, Bicek the odd men out.

So you're saying that Guolla would be sent back down to Albany to leave us with 14 forwards, with lines like this:

Nieuwy/Friesen/Langs

Gomez/Elias/Gionta

Madden/Pandolfo/Stevenson or Brylin

Rupp/Berglund, Bicek, or McKenzie.

That pretty well leaves our top 3 lines intact (with Gionta replacing Bicek), which I think is important. And the 4th line can rotate as needed. The only question is how do you keep Brylin & Stevenson in the lineup all the time? It seems to me like they both deserve to play. I guess one of them could drop to the 4th line every game?

guolla is no concern. if he comes back, he's in albany.

gionta's return will crowd the field. i would say that there would be a rotation between bicek, gionta, berglund, mckenzie, and rupp. (unless rupp slides back in his development).

although me thinks that a deal will be made where we move quantity for quality in some way. would bet that berglund and gionta are on their way out if that happens. and as i've said in the past. don't look at sabres and pitts for the salary dumper angle. teams that are out of it is where we're getting our guys. look to san jose (selanne...maybe), columbus (we've expected geoff sanderson for 6 years!), calgary (drury...i don't care what you all say), or atlanta (stefan). should edmonton falter, perhaps marchant or carter might become available.

kovalev from pitt and satan from buffalo are too easy and obvious. the stock will be way high on those guys.

The only question is how do you keep Brylin & Stevenson in the lineup all the time? It seems to me like they both deserve to play. I guess one of them could drop to the 4th line every game?

Timex plays and anyone else can go...he gives 100+% every night, never complains, plays any postion assigned to well, doesn't take bonehead penalties, scores more and is way more healthy that Turner...I will take smarts over brawn any day of the week :D

To me the team's winning big you change the lines as little as possible. I'll stick with the lines I posted a few days ago and the lines Burns has been going with.

Gomer-Elias-Bicek (Gionta in reserve for now)

Friesen-Niewy-Langer

Pando-Madden-Brylin

Mac/Bergy-Rupp-Turner

Let Gionta go down to Albany for a few games for conditioning/help to Albany at least before giving him a chance to win his job back on the first line which is really the only place you could put him now. Bergy and Mac I'd like rotating on the fourth line; Bergy's more suited for fourth-line duty than Gionta. Guolla forget it, send him down to Albany and give them some more forward help.

Well actually with hasan lines, Little G is better suited to be with Madden and Pando. Remember last year vs. Carolina he had a lot of success with them. Thing Brylin deserves to be on the top line more than anyone on this team.

Elias-Gomez-Brylin

Western Conference Line

Pando-Madden-Little G

Turner-Rupp-Bergy

I think that makes the most sense.

Id agree with Njay on that one.... lol, its the lines I use in NHL03 less Rupp cause he simply isnt there.

But in the real world... those lines would work the best, and they do make the most sense. Bicek and Guolla can help out Albany; Ive given up on Guolla; but we'll see Bicek later, whether in a Devs uniform or not, I dunno (trades)... And keep Bergy out of the big boy games...

I think 2 games ago, one guy got hit by Turner, Rupp, and McKenzie in the same shift... that type of punishment will help the team out...

-Al

Well actually with hasan lines, Little G is better suited to be with Madden and Pando. Remember last year vs. Carolina he had a lot of success with them. Thing Brylin deserves to be on the top line more than anyone on this team.

Elias-Gomez-Brylin

Western Conference Line

Pando-Madden-Little G

Turner-Rupp-Bergy

I think that makes the most sense.

Gionta can't handle checking line duties as well as Brylin. That won't quite pan out.

Gionta can't handle checking line duties as well as Brylin. That won't quite pan out.

Agreed. Right now, I don't see Gionta fitting in anywhere; he's gotta win his spot back, and that's going to be tough.

However, the organization does really like him, so like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised to see him put back into the setup soon after his return, whether he truly should be there or not. (Not that it's a bad thing if this happens, I just think he should only be back in the lineup if he proves he can bring more to the table than Bicek)

Ok...

The following forwards are locked in as starters:

Elias, Gomez, Newy, Friesen, Langs, Madden, Pando, Brylin, & Turner

That's 9 players.

On the Bubble:

Bicek, Berglund, Gionta, Rupp, Guolla, MacKenzie

That's 5 players.

Assuming we'll cary 12 forwards (we can carry 13 if they place T-vo on IR)

We know Jimbo will play some games, so who will he swap time with?

...back to this later.

Rupp will go back to Albany..this is his first time up, and even though he has looked good, he'll go back, just because he hasn't payed his dues yet.

Guolla will play in Albany also (did he clear waivers?...Can he go down?), at least for conditioning. They are not sticking him up with no practice.

It's hard to imagine them not playing Bicek, as well as he's palyed with Gomer-Elias. But it looks like to me that if Gionta is gonna play, it will be in Bicek's roster spot, though not in his line spot.

So for now I see them rotating Bicek, Gionta, Jimbo, and Berglund in 2 spots.

My guess is that Gionta will play with Madden-Pando, or 4th line duty with whomever is left.

If Bicek sits, look for Brylin to play with Gomer-Elias.

And Pando will not sit!!! 4 GW goals this year and very high praise from Burnzy to him and Madden.

For now:

Elias-Gomer-Brylin

Friesen-Newy-Langs

Pando-Madden-Turner

Berglund/Jimbo-Rupp-Gionta/Bicek

Bicek ha sreally put himself in a good postion though, because he has adjusted weel to RW, and is playing great with Elias-Gomer. Anyone think Bicek plays line #1 in the playoffs?

If I were coach: :evil:

My Lines would be:

Elias-Gomer-Bicek

Friesen-Newy-Langs

Pando-Madden-Brylin

Berglund-Rupp-Gionta/Turner

Turner only against Philly, Toronto, Rag$, etc.

Something's gotta give.

msweet, your wished-for lines look like my lines -- of course with everything being what they are now.

I think that fourth line would be nice actually.

And I agree Pando isn't sitting. Even without what he has, he's a club guy who'll be with Madden whenever he is able to go.

I hope Rupp stays, he seems to have gotten a lot of votes of confidence, between the PP time and the teaming with Gomez and Elias when the bench gets shortened.

My best guess would be (and I seem to be good at these) is you put Gionta with Madden and Jay "look I can hit the goalie's logo from anywhere on ice" Pandolfo... he's got the speed and the spark and he may add some offense to that line (imagine this team with THREE lines going)... you have to leave the top 2 lines alone (Bicek has been the main reason for the re-surge of Patrik Elias, that and me trading him in ESPN :P )... I won't cry any tears about Berlgund being sent to Albany to learn how to skate and Guolla should prolly be sent down for conditioning at the very least. What I'd like to see would be:

Langenbrunner-Nieuwendyk-Friesen

Elias-Gomez-Bicek

Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta

Brylin-Rupp-Stevenson

and if you had to for match-ups I guess you sit Gionta for McKenzie against the more physical teams. Of course this stuff does work itSELF out and you never really know :P

I just have a problem with Gionta on the checking line when he's the one who gets knocked down on the forecheck.

Also, if it's Turner, he can work with Madden, if obviously not finish like Gionta (which isn't the primary purpose of the line and thus my problem there). There is that chaos chemistry... and that prevents the fourth line from being a clusterf when McKenzie's in.

But if it's not Turner, I think it should be Brylin. He's much better able to forecheck AND he can finish. Whatta guy!!!! :)

I dunno about a "goner" he's not even played a full season as a Devil, Lou's not apt to give up that kinda player, esp. when he can try to snow someone to take Berglund :) . I do have this feeling some kind of trade will be coming along as soon as people get some clearance to play. Maybe I'm kinda liking the guy cause he did have a bunch of goals in the playoffs last year when no one else did....

70 games as a Devil is enough for Lou to know what Gionta's going to be capable of. It's more games than he gave Steve Sullivan, but Sullivan was also a better player, and still is, so he was easier to move.

A guy like Gionta has a very hard time fitting in on a club like the Devils. Since the offense's clicking coincides with when he went out, I think there's a connection there.. Gionta's quick, but he needs to develop a scoring touch.. I still think he can be a 25 goal scorer and felt he'd be a quick study in the NHL, but it seems that he isn't. Gionta's the kind of guy who can fit right in on a non-playoff team, get lots of minutes, and score some goals. Contending clubs don't have room on their team for guys who don't excel in any role. Gionta is one of them.