Pronger Is Now A Duck

Not his fault he's whipped.......wooopshhhhhhhh...*cracks whip

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Pronger is signed for 4 or 5 more seasons, this is a steal for Anaheim. Lupul will be a star but Smid isn't projected to be more than a 3rd defenseman. Edmonton lost Chris Pronger and haven't replaced him with anyone who can come close to taking his minutes. They also haven't re-signed Spacek and Tarnstrom or Samsonov.

I agree completely with your analysis of what EDM gave up and the Ducks are now Cup favorites from the West.... but they mortgage some serious quantity of future and if they can't win it all... well that's to see.

I'm not sure how I would feel if Lou makes the same move for us...

Though as good as Ana is now, it is unlikely their 1st round picks will be very high.

same old fvckin nhl.Nothing changes.

Sorry buddy but it was Pronger's wife that wanted out, which made it virtually impossible for Edmonton here. And hey. Your team got the guy last summer. Something that never would have happened in the past and came within a game of winning the Cup. That's not a bad run. What can you do?

Btw...the package was Lupul, Smid and a conditional pick. Nice package you got back. Smid is a top D prospect. Lupul is a clutch scorer. At least they got a solid return.

Anaheim sure looks like the frontrunner for the Cup. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least get to the Final next year. Nice mix they got.

People can't say Nieds went to Anaheim with no regard for winning anymore, since they've shaped up into a pretty good team almost overnight :P

Have we found out what the reason was for Pronger asking a trade (if it was something other than what's been rumored)? Supposedly he was going to 'clear the air' soon.

Edited by Hasan4978

People can't say Nieds went to Anaheim with no regard for winning anymore, since they've shaped up into a pretty good team almost overnight :P

Have we found out what the reason was for Pronger asking a trade (if it was something other than what's been rumored)? Supposedly he was going to 'clear the air' soon.

It's got to do with the wife.

I know that's what's been rumored but he seemed to indicate that the press was wildly speculating. It wouldn't be the first time (see: McCabe, Bryan) that the press jumped on the family angle as a juicy rumor, although I'm not sure I'd believe him even if he did say it was something different at this point.

I didn't realize it but Anaheim gave up their #1 pick in 2007 and 2008 in that deal as well.

Yikes.

Actually it was a 1 in '07 and a 2nd in '08 plus a conditional. Still a steep price to pay.

Edited by Derek21

The Ducks are never going to pair Pronger and Niedermayer.

I expect Beauchemin-Niedermayer and Vishnevsky-Pronger. The bottom two don't matter since they won't get any ice time. The Blues used this strategy for years and people actually thought Alexander Khavanov and Bryce Salvador were good defensemen.

They get a 1st in '08 if the Ducks win the Cup.

Let's see...

Pronger-Niedermayer

Beauchimin-Vishnevsky

DiPenta-Kondratiev

?

The Ducks are NOT going to pair Nieds and Pronger --that is silly and ineffective (e.g. Stevens/Nieds).

Beauchim/Nieds (these were the key tandem last year they are not going to split them).

Pronger-who ever.

Regardless the biggest question: Which goalie will be the #1 guy?? Giggy ended up being #2 and has a hefty salary.

smid has no.1 potential. The kid can play, he was outstanding for the pirates this year. He's can play safe and simple, but can also step up and make huge plays. I think at the least he'll be a no.3

Lupul is highly overrated. He has an amazing shot and great puckhandling to go with size and speed. But he is one dumb defensive player. He takes countless bad penalties. Before people start gushing over his damn 4 goal game, how bout you look how many freaking times he was in the box for a simply STUPID minor. It's not like the kid fights, he jsut takes so many stupid minor penalties. I'm 90 percent sure he led the playoffs in minor penalties.

He's going to be a star for sure, but right now he is a player who's talent is exceded only by his lack of discipline. He's bertuzzi-esque in that manner.

Wow, the Ducks now have an amazing D just alone with Niedermayer and Pronger. Great move for them.

At what price? A quick fix to be a contender for a year or two? then they'll be dead for 5 years or so.

When will teams learn that trying to buy the cup does not work? The Rangers,Flyers and Leafs are living proof of that :hah:

The Ducks still do not have a legit goalie, Giggy sucks.

FYI - According to sports radio in Edmonton, the deal is Lupul, a prospect and picks. Edmonton fans are LIVID that they lost their star player for Lupul, but that's short term thinking. I think long term, Edmonton wins this one.

Agreed, Lupul is a good player, and young.

smid has no.1 potential. The kid can play, he was outstanding for the pirates this year. He's can play safe and simple, but can also step up and make huge plays. I think at the least he'll be a no.3

Lupul is highly overrated. He has an amazing shot and great puckhandling to go with size and speed. But he is one dumb defensive player. He takes countless bad penalties. Before people start gushing over his damn 4 goal game, how bout you look how many freaking times he was in the box for a simply STUPID minor. It's not like the kid fights, he jsut takes so many stupid minor penalties. I'm 90 percent sure he led the playoffs in minor penalties.

He's going to be a star for sure, but right now he is a player who's talent is exceded only by his lack of discipline. He's bertuzzi-esque in that manner.

28 goals, 48 PIM in the regular season.

9 goals, 31 PIM in playoffs- 19 of those came against Calgary

At what price? A quick fix to be a contender for a year or two? then they'll be dead for 5 years or so.

When will teams learn that trying to buy the cup does not work? The Rangers,Flyers and Leafs are living proof of that :hah:

The Ducks still do not have a legit goalie, Giggy sucks.

Agreed, Lupul is a good player, and young.

They'll unload Giguere.

I love Lupul.

As for Smid, I think hes more solid than spectacular, but it wouldnt shock me if in another 3 yrs or so, Smid is/was every bit as good/or possibly better than Pronger, especially since Pronger will be 34 or 35.

Weird -- I'd love to agree with NZT and say you can't buy a Cup but this looks nice after this years playoffs. I personally suspect Nieds chokes when the rings in his grasp -- he needs some backup in the leadership dept., truth be told. This coudl be a good thing.

and look show we tore up Carol the Wicked Witch of the West for forcing Nieds to move back under her rule :puke: