Brylin leaving?

NJDevils1214

I dont think that is happening. That is mere speculation that Brylin could be someone to go, with no actual source to validate taht Lou would even entertain the idea.

Do I think Brylin is overpaid, in this cap era, yes. But I also think he'll take a pay cut his next contract and will contribute a few more seasons for us. Id much rather see Malakov and Mogilny dealt away, even if it means losing a good pick.

Doesn't make any sense now. We cut Brylin and we don't have a 2nd line center, even though Brylin is a bad 2nd line center - the whole point was for us to upgrade at center. Putting Travis Zajac there would be foolish.

I wonder if Lou could trade Dan McGillis and then trade back for him after training camp.

The Sporting News !

OMG, they would be one of the last places I would even think about looking at for hockey "news".

Iorio covered the Devils for several years before joining the Sporting News so she is familiar with the team; but her statements regarding Brylin are purely speculation, not even couched as inside info.

Hate to say it but if the Devils plan on keeping Gomer, Gionta and Hale...Brylin is expendable.

Think not...who else do the Devils trade then? Pando, Madden, Parise, Martin...

Take a good hard look at the Devils roster of who is expendable and who would really hurt the team if they left. FROM ON ICE PERFORMANCE VALUE, not from fan or player loyalty.

Brylin is one of the names on the list of people who could go.

Would we all hate to see it...sure we would, he's the hardest working man in hockey.

Plus I believe Brylin is in the last year of his contract. So if he was traded...dont be surprised to see Lou get him back next season when he has the money to take him back.

Edited by emptynet

Sarge had a very strange year last year. Something was going on. He had some serious laps in I don't know what, focus? effort? All I know is when I started thinking he's GOT to step up he'd put in a good game or two then slip back into whatever his thing was.

When I start to worry like that --- when I can't figure out what's going on with a guy... well, then yeah he's pretty much been a goner soon there after. It wasn't like "Brylin is pressing and things aren't happening" ... no, the effort wasn't there, but an attitude was - sometimes he seemed downright crotchety.

All I'm saying is there is a reason we are all saying Brylin is expendable and it's not a lack of talent or room. It's a absence of kool aid. We all know it. We all saw it. Some may be in denial... but thems the facts. Maybe Lou understands the deal and all is well. But we don't so in our minds he seems expendable. Might as well put it out there now.

Brylin isnt going anywhere. He fills in for any role we need, we need that. I think Luko is more expendable than Brylin. Luko is better than the d guys we signed, but not by that much.

I still believe we can dump Mogilny and Malakov

All I'm saying is there is a reason we are all saying Brylin is expendable and it's not a lack of talent or room. It's a absence of kool aid. We all know it. We all saw it. Some may be in denial... but thems the facts. Maybe Lou understands the deal and all is well. But we don't so in our minds he seems expendable. Might as well put it out there now.

absence of kool-aid?! :huh: Wow, PK, I'm not sure I buy that.

I just want to have mogilny and malacov delt with. They were serious duds. I think that if Tommy Albeline comes back then Lucowich is history in a Devils uniform for atleast next season. Brylin is one of the guys on the team the longest with Neds gone. I think that Lou will Keep him and Gomer no matter cost. There both too important to lose. I think that Marshall or Rasmussen is more expendable.

So Manta, what do you think? Wouldn't Luko and Malakhov for Carney be a decent and fair trade? Wouldn't solve all the Devils problems but it would be a step in the right direction. and the Wild could afford it. Mally can even retire and be a special coach or something...

Carney has a 2 year contract at a little over 2 mil. So you can say your trading a Geezer and a scrub for a geezer scrub...

I think this is the first trade I've ever proposed :evil:

Weimer, Marshall, Matvichuk will definately be gone....

Weimer is replacable with Ryznar

Marshall is replacable with Tallackson

Matvichuk is replacable period..

3rd and 4th lines should look like this respectively..

Pando/ Madden/ Tallackson

Jansen/ Rupp/ Ryznar

i thought for a long time that Brylin's middle name was kool aid.

IMO, he's the guy with the best effort night after night. No surprise that he gets the Devil's unsung hero award (or whatever they call it) as voted on by the teammates nearly every year. The guy is an asset and I think that moving Brylin would be the last of Lou's options.

I think that Matmachuck is good. He is experanced and better then most. Just needs time to get into Devils Defense like Lucowich does. For a period Matmachuck was doin awsome then he got injured. I dont think we want to replace anyone with Tallackson at this point. Ryzner would be ok and we got Janson.

Brylin's middle name would have to be Kool-Aid if he'd come back to the Devils after a trade and being with another team for an entire year.

Trading him wouldn't be my first choice but let's face it in a lot of ways the ultimate role player had no role on the team in the second half last year. Yeah he had 15 goals but like eight of them came in the first month then after that he was a non-factor scoringwise. Particularly after Elias came back and Brylin was pegged into being a second-line center which does not suit his talents. Since the team has not changed I can't imagine how his role would be any different or better this year.

I'd like to keep him as a lifelong Devil, but this is the hard reality of the cap. Sometimes decisions like this have to be made. And no I don't think Lou will trade Brylin when push comes to shove, but something needs to be done and it's not out of the realm of possibility to think trading Brylin is an option. If it was up to me and most of us, we'd pawn off Mogilny and Malakhov even if it took a second and a third rounder (most likely in two seperate player with pick deals). But that might not be an option if the NHL insists on playing Inspector Javert to Lou's Jean Valjean.

If I had to guess right this minute, since Malakhov is dead money anyway Lou is trying to recusitate him to actually carry him on the active roster and then trade off one of the other defensemen (maybe Matvichuk, I love the guy but he might break down any year now), and hopefully pawn Mogilny off in camp, banking on either him staying healthy enough to be traded or not being healthy and being eligible for long-term IR.

McGillis can still be hidden in the minors. Losing Mogilny and Matvichuk would be $5 million combined and probably gets the team under the cap or very close to it when all is said and done. But I might think something different will happen tomorrow :P None of us have a idea in hell of what Lou's going to do...then again, what else is new? :lol:

Edited by Hasan4978

Brylin's middle name would have to be Kool-Aid if he'd come back to the Devils after a trade and being with another team for an entire year.

I'm going to run and check Tommy's birth certificate, because I think that name's already taken :koolaid: . IF BRylin were traded and came back- he'd just be that much more a hero of this team in my eyes.

Trading Brylin isn't a salary cap issue and never really was. It's a simple question of effectiveness. He doesn't belong on any line as constituted. He's a 3rd line LW, and we already have one of those in Jay Pandolfo. The original plan before this mess was to trade him and sign a more offensively gifted or bigger center. I love Sarge but he's not a center or right wing - he was switched to left wing because of his disastrous 95-96 season at center.

I love Sarge but he's not a center or right wing - he was switched to left wing because of his disastrous 95-96 season at center.

He was a young rookie back then, I don't think it's fair to start bringing up years that long ago when you're talking about a situation like this.