Say bye bye to Vlad

Sarge18

Korlyuk is unisigned now.... maybe he will fit somehow if we can get rid of Mogilny too

Why even bother fitting him in? If he's unsigned and won't come over, leave him be. If he will come over and the Devils have room for him after fulfilling their other obligations, fine, but Lou shouldn't bend over backwards trying to clear more cap room to fit Korolyk in.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deal is definitely a head-scratcher.....what the hell do SJ get out of it exactly.

But hey, a salary dump for a "conditional" pick seems to work.

since sj won't have to actually pay malakhov anything they basically got a first round pick for nothing but a cap space hit that apparently they could afford to take.

If the Devils can coax Korolyuk out of Russia, they are far from being fleeced in this deal.

I'd say they're still far from being fleeced. The Devs tend to pick low, so it's not like they'll be missing out on the next Crosby. Yes, losing a first-rounder is a steep price for Lou to pay for getting out of his mess, but considering the alternatives, it's a bargain. :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

LizDevil, there are those on TSN who agree it seems. :blink:

STEAL FOR SJ! Malakov is still a good 5th or 6th D-man, with potential to become a top 4 in the fast skating high flying SJ offence. They got rid of a stay at home D-man and 4th line forward for a first round pick aswell. SJ wins short term and long term. NJ only improves its imminent depth.

:rofl:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-s...p&type=lgns

Devils trade Malakhov, first-round pick to Sharks for 2 players

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer

October 1, 2006

The New Jersey Devils made a major move to get under the NHL salary cap Sunday by sending suspended defenseman Vladimir Malakhov and a conditional first-round draft pick to San Jose for defenseman Jim Fahey and the rights to left wing Alexander Korolyuk.

The deal will save the Devils $3.6 million on their cap -- Malakhov's salary -- and it probably won't cost New Jersey much because Korolyuk will play in Russia again this season and Fahey might not make the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

With the NHL season scheduled to open this week, Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello has been desperate to make some moves to get under the NHL's $44 million salary cap.

Lamoriello would not say whether the Devils will have to make more moves before the season opens on Friday in Carolina against the Stanley Cup champion Hurricanes.

However, he still has to sign right wing Brian Gionta, who scored a team-record 48 goals last season, defenseman Paul Martin, and backup goaltender Scott Clemmensen. So there might be another deal in the works.

"We'll take it one thing at a time," Lamoriello said in a telephone call from his office in East Rutherford, N.J.

The Devils were pushed over the cap limit this summer when they signed forward Patrik Elias to a seven-year, $42 million contract -- a $7.5 million contract this season -- and center Scott Gomez was awarded $5 million by an arbitrator.

The Devils, who also signed Jamie Langenbrunner in the offseason, also owed Malakhov and forward Alexander Mogilny some $7.1 million this season, even though they will not be on the team. They were signed as free agents last season, but they were dropped from the roster for poor play.

Mogilny was sent to the minors, and Malakhov first retired and then was suspended by the team.

Since they were both over 35-years-old when they signed last year, their salaries counted against the Devils' salary cap.

Lamoriello has petitioned the NHL to have Mogilny's salary removed from the cap because of a long-term hip injury.

The 30-year-old Korolyuk had 19 goals and 15 assists in 45 games for Vityaz Chekhov in Russia. He last played in the NHL for the Sharks in 2003-04.

"We're getting an exceptional hockey player who could play for us next year," said Lamoriello, who refused to reveal the conditions placed on the first-round pick sent to the Sharks.

Fahey appeared in 21 games for the Sharks last season and had two assists.

"We'll have to take a look at him," Lamoriello said of Fahey.

The 38-year-old Malakhov had four goals and five assists in 29 games with the Devils. He has played in 712 NHL games with the New York Islanders, Montreal, New Jersey, the New York Rangers and Philadelphia.

LizDevil, there are those on TSN who agree it seems.

STEAL FOR SJ! Malakov is still a good 5th or 6th D-man, with potential to become a top 4 in the fast skating high flying SJ offence. They got rid of a stay at home D-man and 4th line forward for a first round pick aswell. SJ wins short term and long term. NJ only improves its imminent depth.

Well I guess they hope he un-retires! This is unfreaking believable! :rofl:

Lamoriello has petitioned the NHL to have Mogilny's salary removed from the cap because of a long-term hip injury.

The 30-year-old Korolyuk had 19 goals and 15 assists in 45 games for Vityaz Chekhov in Russia. He last played in the NHL for the Sharks in 2003-04.

"We're getting an exceptional hockey player who could play for us next year," said Lamoriello, who refused to reveal the conditions placed on the first-round pick sent to the Sharks.

Exceptional? :blink: Lou, I love ya especially after this deal but don't drink any more Kool-Aid tonight buddy :evil:

Lou basically has an itch to have an enigmatic Russian every year and Korolyuk satisfies that itch :lol: I could care less if either play a game for the Devils though.

I guess this means Lou has 'finally' petitioned the league for Mogilny? If Mogilny can come off the cap they don't even need to do anything else and get under, if he can't, they probably only need to make a minor move or two to get under.

Edited by Hasan4978

awesome awesome move by lou...

i wonder if this will have some influence on the mogilny decision... i mean i know it shouldn't but i just think it will...

also.. i was searching through some news articles and 24 hours ago... this article was posted...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6017546

i found it funny that the first lines read..

Forget about the notion of the Devils trading Malakhov. He was recently quoted in a Russian sports magazine that he has no intention of resuming his NHL career and that, for all intents and purposes, he's effectively retired.

Wow...this nearly takes the sting out of seeing the Jets blow another one.

A couple of quick thoughts:

1. The Sharks win the trade battle, but obviously the Devils win the war with the NHL. San Jose traded a player who wouldn't suit up for them and a defenseman that was down on the depth chart (if on the chart at all) for a first-round pick and a defenseman who, should he find his smile, has been known to show up for a game or two in the postseason, when the Sharks would actually need a veteran like Vlad. But it's pure speculation that he'll ever even play for the Sharks.

2. As for the Devils, it's a first-rounder for $3.5 million in cap space. Anything else is icing on the cake. And the bottom line is that I'll make that trade a thousand times before I trade Madden, Brylin, Raff or any of the other non-Gionta/Gomez parts that had been bandied about in a salary dump. None of us will give two sh!ts about trading the No. 1 if the Devils make a Cup run. And in what could be Gomez's walk year, that's really all I care about this season; preserving the core of the team and solving the cap crisis is nothing short of miraculous.

3. As for Lou...look, he's not infallable. Ask anyone who saw Sylvain Turgeon yank down his leg jerseys and take a dump for a season in New Jersey about that. But he does make up for his mistakes in a pretty dramatic way -- recall who Turgeon eventually brought to the Devils when Lou "corrected" himself.

Hate trading the No. 1, but if the season goes as planned it'll practically be a second-rounder anyway.

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester