GM's not happy with Lamoriello

section 110

the league will allow the Devils to spend over the $44 million salary cap by the amount of Mogilny's contract ($3.5 million) for as long as he remains on LTI.

In effect, as long as Mogilny remains on LTI, the Devils' salary cap is $47.5 million, which of course includes Mogilny's $3.5 million.

Many in the NHL community are shocked by the way this is unfolding because it was thought that there was no way for a team to get out from under the financial burden of a multi-year contract to a player who is 35 or over.

The new CBA included a clause that basically said any 35 and over player who signs a multi-year contract will count against the team's salary cap even if he retires or plays in the minors. It is why the Tampa Bay Lightning have to account for retired Dave Andreychuk's salary. Ditto for the New York Islanders with retired goalie cum GM Garth Snow and the Toronto Maple Leafs with the retired Tie Domi.

Why would Mogilny be any different?

That's the question a lot of GMs want answered.

he isn't any differnt!!! mogilny still counts against the cap :rant: so the over 35 rule is not an issue here!!! :argh:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny because at first many thought the Devs would get the relief on Malkhov - because he deserted, but not Mogilny because he was demoted last year.

Now it tuens out that Mogilny's relief is more legitimate than Malakhov's relief.

The NHL should fix the loophole that allows trading of cap space.

If the guy is hurt then the LTI thing is fine with me.

There is no loophole. So long as Malakhov is not officially retired, he's a tradeable asset.

Why Malakhov refused to sign his papers are unclear - I think the Devils could have fought for breach of contract but that would've taken far longer and required an arbitrator - it would've meant having to trade someone before the season started anyway (or holding Gionta out).

731, most teams are staying away from signing players 35 and older to multi-year deals. Sather claims it's why he didn't sign Martin Rucinsky this summer. Had they known that they could get this exception, they might've done things differently.

731, most teams are staying away from signing players 35 and older to multi-year deals. Sather claims it's why he didn't sign Martin Rucinsky this summer. Had they known that they could get this exception, they might've done things differently.

Hopefully what has gone down with the Devils regarding their over 35 player will allow teams to do things differently. There will be changes in the next CBA.

The NHL should fix the loophole that allows trading of cap space.

What loophole? Despite what Malakhov says, he's technically an active player (until he files retirement papers), so he's a tradeable asset. If he was retired in the eyes of the NHL, then he'd be dead cap space and probably not tradeable.

These anonymous GMs were probably circling like vultures waiting for the fire sale, and are now eating sour grapes.

We have a winner!

Lou Wins At Life. The. End.

centralnj is right, the other GM's are peeved b/c they thought they were getting a Gionta. Hale, Martin or Gomez for cheap.

i guarentee that the GM's that are bitching about this are clarke and sather....

clarke is terrible

i give credit to sather for what he's done with the team.. but of course he is going to whine.. .we are going to beat him again

I don't think it is Clarke and Sather, at least not the anonymous quotes here. I don't think either one of them would have a problem saying what they think on the record. Unless the NHL sent around something, before the ruling hit the papers, that said, this is happening and any comments you make on the record about this, or the Malakhov trade, will get you fined. Bettman has done that sort of thing before.

i actually have no problem trading cap space. it's an asset. why shouldn't a team be able to trade an asset. the devils had to give up a 1st rounder to dump malakhov. i'm surprised the devils couldn't get a team like washington or pittsburgh that had even more room than SJ and much less chance of competing this year to make a deal for less. pitt and wash have the cap space this year. getting more picks could make them much stronger later on.

Recall somewhere on the forum where there was talk that teams can trade cap space and teams could accept a cap space trade if needed to be at the minimum of the cap...if it is ok to trade cap space for this reason why would it not be legit for other reasons...all contracts have holes especially when treading new waters...btw...how long is this CBA for? Articles cannot be changed until CBA expires or are there reasons where it may be altered?

Edited by StarDew

:hail: LOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!! These other GM's can take long walk off a shor pier. If they were in the same predicament, they would try and do the same things- they know it, we know it, EVERYONE knows it. Let's get the rest of the guys signed and rock babyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference between LTIR and the methods covered in that clause is that LTIR is passive, not active. If this were a 35+ player that was actually playing on the big league roster at the time of his injury, it wouldn't be a question. You can't have it both ways. If a guy is injured, he's injured... no matter whether he was contributing to his club (and they're disappointed he's injured) or he wasn't (and they were looking for a way to get his salary off the cap).

I can't blame other GMs for being furious with this. I don't have any issue with the Mogilny LTI thing because that was legit.

But the whole trade the other night reeked of something. And to think the conditions of that first round pick are on Lamoriello's terms. Like his team would actually miss the playoffs. Come on. There's a better chance of Hell freezing over.

Korolyuk is a good player. So if he somehow convinces him to come over say next year (and don't say it's not possible Lamoriello has his ways), the Devils make out like bandits. The first round pick won't even mean didley if they win another Cup. Not only did Doug Wilson do them a big favor but set them up favorably for the future.

So what happened to those league conspiracy theories?

Let the season begin!

I can't blame other GMs for being furious with this. I don't have any issue with the Mogilny LTI thing because that was legit.

But the whole trade the other night reeked of something. And to think the conditions of that first round pick are on Lamoriello's terms. Like his team would actually miss the playoffs. Come on. There's a better chance of Hell freezing over.

Korolyuk is a good player. So if he somehow convinces him to come over say next year (and don't say it's not possible Lamoriello has his ways), the Devils make out like bandits. The first round pick won't even mean didley if they win another Cup. Not only did Doug Wilson do them a big favor but set them up favorably for the future.

Let the season begin!

Korolyuk stinks - and he's not coming back over because he's due to earn $1.3 million no matter what - he probably makes as much if not more in Russia.

Doug Wilson didn't do anyone a favor. How is this a favor? He got a 1st round pick for nothing - that's smart. He can then move Vladimir Malakhov's salary at the deadline for a 4th round pick when he wishes to add salary later in the year. If other GMs had the cap room, they'd be interested in this deal too. This is just how a lot of people on this board expected it would go down - just didn't expect it would be San Jose who would do it.

Edited by Triumph

These GM's don't have a leg to stand on. The Mogilny thing was legit, he was checked out by an independent doctor. And the league didn't have a leg to stand on with their initial stance that he suffered his injury in the minors, since they already granted the Devils IR on Elias last year when he suffered his heptatits while playing for another team outside the NHL.

The Malakhov trade was fair for both sides. If Lou had traded the first-round pick for Korolyuk and Fahey, he would have been condemmed for lunacy but the trade would have been allowed. So throwing Malakhov into the deal makes it unfair? Clarke himself more or less did a cap trade last year. Teams do cap trades in other sports, especially the NBA. Both teams got something out of the deal, the Sharks got a top 30 pick in one of the next two drafts and the Devils got rid of Malakhov's cap figure and got two players.

Why Malakhov didn't file for retirement is a mystery, as I said a couple of times he may have intentionally been doing the Devils a favor for whatever reason (or he was just a lazy douche and didn't think to file for retirement).

Why Malakhov didn't file for retirement is a mystery, as I said a couple of times he may have intentionally been doing the Devils a favor for whatever reason (or he was just a lazy douche and didn't think to file for retirement).

Maybe, just maybe, he may lace 'em up yet, get hurt, really good, and collect. He might not be as dumb as we make him out to be.

The GMs complaining should be fired on the spot for their incompetence and whining about something perfectly legal and moral. These are the same GMs that helped construct the damn CBA. what the hell can they be complaining about? Mogilny's injury was legit!! Sounds like devils-bashing and lou-jealousy to me.

Who's ready for Friday! Let the Games Begin!!!

The GMs complaining should be fired on the spot for their incompetence and whining about something perfectly legal and moral. These are the same GMs that helped construct the damn CBA. what the hell can they be complaining about? Mogilny's injury was legit!! Sounds like devils-bashing and lou-jealousy to me.

Who's ready for Friday! Let the Games Begin!!!

Agreed. F^ck Bobby Clarke and drop the puck!

there's an expression we use in the MMO games like World of Warcraft for people like this..

CRY

MORE

NOOB

They rewrite the whole NHL ruleset to make it so our strengths are minimized, especially Brodeur's puck handling ability, and we suck it up and still win a division title.

WAAAAH

We get our ass in a sling with a couple of bad signings, and Lou figures out a way to make it work.. Within the rules..

WAAAAH

These guys sound like my 5 week old daughter... Crying a lot for no reason.

Congrat's on the daughter!

Let the season begin!

I could really care less what these other a$$hole GM's think. They would do the same thing if put in the same position if they could. It's bitterness, jealousy, and anger because it was these same crybabies that were ready to pounce on our roster. Now they're not getting any of our players. Boo-fvcking-hoo. These guys should shut the fvck up and worry about how their teams are gonna beat us. And if you're gonna make a comment, for the love of all that is holy, PUT A fvckING NAME BEHIND IT. I'm sick of these anonymous pussies who always have something to say, but never wanna admit who they are. fvck OFF.

Korolyuk stinks - and he's not coming back over because he's due to earn $1.3 million no matter what - he probably makes as much if not more in Russia.

Doug Wilson didn't do anyone a favor. How is this a favor? He got a 1st round pick for nothing - that's smart. He can then move Vladimir Malakhov's salary at the deadline for a 4th round pick when he wishes to add salary later in the year. If other GMs had the cap room, they'd be interested in this deal too. This is just how a lot of people on this board expected it would go down - just didn't expect it would be San Jose who would do it.

He got a 1st round pick for nothing. You just stated one of the big reasons this deal should not have been allowed. The Sharks don't have to worry about ever paying the guy a salary, or ever seeing his face. This is the sort of salary dump the CBA was supposed to take care of. In addition, Malakhov says his knees are so shot that he couldn't play if he wanted to. That means he would never pass the physical required to play for San Jose. Whether or not there is verbiage in the CBA to specifically cover this is immaterial, IMO. The important thing is it is exactly the sort of thing that the CBA is supposed to prevent, and is not in the best interests of the game. What this comes down to is not so much that Lou a genius, but rather that Gary Bettman is incredibly weak-willed as a commissioner.

Edited by mcDevil

Bettman is so weak willed he wouldn't let himself be bullied into changing his mind by Sather and Clarke?

Is it or is it not in the best interests of the game to have allowed Lou to do what he did. That is the central question here, not what Sather or Clarke think about it. Not that there's been a quote one way or the other from either of the two. Bringing Clarke and Sather's names into it is a convenient way to fool oneself into thinking this is simply jealousy from close rivals, but there is a bigger picture out there.

For one thing, I can think of no reason a 37-year-old player would sign retirement papers now, since it will hurt his former team's chances to trade away his rights.

Edited by mcDevil

I am surprised no one has complained about the Pittsburgh Penguin model of building a team.

Tank games and field minor league equivalent teams for 5 years or so to stockpile high draft picks and prospects so they can then in turn have powerhouses for the next 4-5 years. To me it is disgusting and insulting to their fans. Why would anyone go to games. Hopefully the new ownership group will have more class and respect for their fanbase.

You can use financial difficulties and an old arena as an excuse but it is a pathetic one at best. Pittsburgh was always a great hockey town and if they consistantly tried to field a competative team they wouldn't ever have problem keeping their seats full and corporate sponsors.

Is it or is it not in the best interests of the game to have allowed Lou to do what he did. That is the central question here, not what Sather or Clarke think about it. Not that there's been a quote one way or the other from either of the two. Bringing Clarke and Sather's names into it is a convenient way to fool oneself into thinking this is simply jealousy from close rivals, but there is a bigger picture out there.

For one thing, I can think of no reason a 37-year-old player would sign retirement papers now, since it will hurt his former team's chances to trade away his rights.

It is in the best interest of the game. This rule was a poorly written rule to try and prevent front loaded contracts to veterans and instead turned into something much more. The rule should be followed to the letter and nothing greater and that is what the league did.