12/6/06 GAME DAY: Habs vs Devils

themiddle91489

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

back from the game. i'm surprised by some of the responses here. the game was terrible, regardless of outcome. i was thinking the whole time about how triumph always asks me how i can be a season ticket holder with this situation. tonight was the first time i really felt like i wanted my money back. people saying that the devils played well were watching a different game than i was. gomez made some terrible plays tonight and the end rush that lead to the goal was nice, but really was a lucky bounce of souray. rafalski and martin returned to chateau bow wow for me as well.

i found myself staring into the rafters when the3rd and 4th lines were on as they did nothing but aid in passing the time.

really a crap game to watch.

that said, i'll always take the 2 points and run.

I don't know how you could have been at the game and not see that the Devils played well. Both teams had lots of chances and there was lots of skating going on. Marty making big saves when he needed to. Close game. Other than not getting a fight of a few more of the good chances going in the net I'm not sure what else you might want from a game.

The 4th line actually played really well and created a couple of scoring chances and hits which is reflected by the fact they played over 10 minutes tonight.

This is just not true.

Yes, they struggled to get things going in the second period - but in the third they had plenty of energy and were being denied only by a combination of Aebischer, luck, and the Montreal defense. New Jersey was clearly the better team tonight and deserved to win.

I felt this game was played far better than a lot of their OT or shootout wins. Montreal's looking pretty solid on D - imagine if they had a decent goaltender.

They have one, but he wasn't playing tonight. Actually it's the rest of Montreal's team that's been pretty suspect this year but Huet's carried them.

As for the game I don't know what game some of you were watching, then again I myself saw two different games. The Devils in the first period and the last ten minutes attacked. The middle thirty minutes (and most of OT until the power play) was about as exciting as the soccer games from this year's World Cup. I don't know what happened, it's as if the Devils were more concerned about getting blown out than they were about going on the attack until the game wound down and they had no choice but to attack. Or they were frustrated that they didn't get a goal in the first and it took them half the game to get over it.

But whatever, winning teams win these games when they're not at their best and with the way Elias was creating chances on the final shift of regulation you could just sense his confidence coming, hopefully the goal tonight is the one that starts the vintage hot streak.

The 4th line actually played really well and created a couple of scoring chances and hits which is reflected by the fact they played over 10 minutes tonight.

Here's a pet peeve of mine: This belief that all of a sudden without Janssen the Devils' fourth line is a force to be reckoned with because they look better offensively. Well looking better in not scoring doesn't do anything for me. I'd take the masher fourth line the Devils had late last year over the fourth line they have now; even if Rupp-Rass-Dowd come tantalizingly close to scoring on occasion. The problem is some of you want scoring on every line, it just isn't going to happen with the Devils.

I don't know how you could have been at the game and not see that the Devils played well. Both teams had lots of chances and there was lots of skating going on. Marty making big saves when he needed to. Close game. Other than not getting a fight of a few more of the good chances going in the net I'm not sure what else you might want from a game.

there were not a lot of quality chances. i saw lots of sloppy play by both teams, bad passes, and guys watching while one guy worked. i actually saw the guys playing out of sync a lot. gomez and gionta ran into each other. the entire defense had issues dealing with montreal's forecheck often. even the goal marty let up was his own fault. he made some nice saves during the game, but i can't say that the habs had any really great chances. i recall gionta's post shot and a few scrums in front of the net where there was a loose puck that might have gotten banged home but otherwise it was a difficult game to watch. that's why they were booed off the ice after period 2.

Here's a pet peeve of mine: This belief that all of a sudden without Janssen the Devils' fourth line is a force to be reckoned with because they look better offensively. Well looking better in not scoring doesn't do anything for me. I'd take the masher fourth line the Devils had late last year over the fourth line they have now; even if Rupp-Rass-Dowd come tantalizingly close to scoring on occasion. The problem is some of you want scoring on every line, it just isn't going to happen with the Devils.

The 4th line with Rupp instead of Jansenn hits slightly less, is much better defensively due to better puck control, and much better offensively. I don't need offense on every line but if I have a slightly less physical player that does pretty much everything else better that player helps the team more. Rupp dropped the gloves the other night, Rupp has been hitting people, Rupp has been creating offensive chances. Do you want to take Rupp out of the lineup just to get 1 or 2 more big hits a game but a have line that can rarely play and you have to worry about defensively?

yes, i only recall one because gionta usually nets those. when were the other two? and if they were low percentage shots that went off the outside of the post, then i'm not all that impressed with them.

Zajac had one when he had the open net and the goalie just got a piece of it with his body and it went off the crossbar and I think Langebrunner had one from around the faceoff circle that the puck went right along the ice but banged off the post.

The 4th line with Rupp instead of Jansenn hits slightly less, is much better defensively due to better puck control, and much better offensively. I don't need offense on every line but if I have a slightly less physical player that does pretty much everything else better that player helps the team more. Rupp dropped the gloves the other night, Rupp has been hitting people, Rupp has been creating offensive chances. Do you want to take Rupp out of the lineup just to get 1 or 2 more big hits a game but a have line that can rarely play and you have to worry about defensively?

Oh I like the way Rupp's played this year, I'd probably take the 'new' Rupp over Rass in fact. And if they can play ten minutes a night without hurting the team god bless 'em, but I have to see them play ten minutes against a better team before I go gaga over the new fourth line.

But for all the 'chances' they get, I don't know how many goals anyone expects them to score as a line if they played every night ten minutes a night...20-25 for the season? That'd be my over-under.

20-25 is better than the 1-2 they would score with Jansen on the line. I don't expect a 4th line to play a lot of offense but if you can have a line that is well rounded versus a one that is a liability in many situations I will take the well rounded one.

Don't exaggerate, Janssen may get one or two if that, but Dowd and Rupp/Ras would still have chipped in around twelve-fifteen goals, especially since Dowd will occasionally get a shift on one of the higher lines (see the Carolina game) and plays penalty kill.

I'm sorry. Cam all but destroys his lines ability to operate in the offensive zone which then leads to the line having to play defense most of the time. The guy can't do anything with the puck. Tonight the line was cycling and had 2 good chances in one shift. They'll often go a whole game without any scoring chances. The fact they got so much ice time shows how much better overall the line was playing.

They have one, but he wasn't playing tonight. Actually it's the rest of Montreal's team that's been pretty suspect this year but Huet's carried them.

Triumph doesn't like Huet. Once said he'd never be a starter. Said his first few weeks were a fluke. Then Huet won defensive player of the month. Still, Triumph is living in denial.

I still saw the same game sundstrom saw... timing off on passes, guys doing nothing more than reacting, no creativity, no looking for lanes, impossible for either team to sustain any pressure. At least I was watching on the internet and could place it in one window and read canoe.ca in the other. If I was there live I would have fallen asleep.

I found this an exciting game to watch on TV, so I don't know how you could've been bored at this game.

So you started a blog covering the entire division without bothering to first land people who know anything about the other teams in the division. Pure genius.

I'm workin' on it, jeepers. BattleofCalifornia took a few days to find Ducks and Sharks bloggers, and I figure it won't be hard to find someone for these teams.

It was a boring Sloppy game......BUT they came away with a win! if we play like that against a team like Buffalo we are dead! Still need to improve, still not playing to our full potential, but we are winning!

Triumph doesn't like Huet. Once said he'd never be a starter. Said his first few weeks were a fluke. Then Huet won defensive player of the month. Still, Triumph is living in denial.

I still saw the same game sundstrom saw... timing off on passes, guys doing nothing more than reacting, no creativity, no looking for lanes, impossible for either team to sustain any pressure. At least I was watching on the internet and could place it in one window and read canoe.ca in the other. If I was there live I would have fallen asleep.

Every time I see Huet he's always getting rocked or looking shaky - bad luck on my part I feel. I watched him get pulled in the 2nd period against Boston - he looked terrible.

According to the stats that's the first time he was pulled this season. Still, he's not a guy I'd want starting for me. The Montreal defense is terrific and covers up a lot of possible problems with Huet. Any goalie can get super hot for a month - I feel like he's league average or slightly worse.