GDT 12/16/06: Red Wings @ Devils 1pm ET

brodeurfanatic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I've got to agree with Sundstrom, the last few games this weeks has shown me that the devils are not playing like a top NHL team.

That's the key phrase, not playing like it. They're better than the outright garbage they've been giving us the last two games. I don't get this team at all. How can you come out in the third period of a 1-0 game against a marquee team and just give no effort and completely disintegrate?! I left the building much more unimpressed by the Devils' performance than impressed by the Wings, they're not good enough to outshoot us 38-16 or whatever the shot total was. The Devils just did nothing until Hasek melted down and turned the momentum of the game briefly. Gomez was indiciative of the whole team, I don't look at individual play that much but when even I can see he's not hustling in the third period (except for when there were two minutes left of course) then he's really got issues. You'd think in his WALK YEAR the guy would come to play for 82 games at least?!

This isn't panic time yet - but the team better win tomorrow, or this could get really ugly really fast, especially with Atlanta (who we never beat) looming on Tuesday.

Edited by Hasan4978

This is probably more of a reaction after another tough loss but I was just looking at the schedule and this team has not beaten anybody this year. The only playoff teams they have beat this year that currently would make the playoffs is Montreal, Pittsburgh and Toronto (who is barely in right now). That is 3 out of possible 10 teams the Devils have played. I think this is cause for concern, the Devils record is very inflated right not.

Edited by jkrdevil

The Devils took 4 shots in the 3rd period and I think 3 of them were in the last two minutes with a 6 on 3. Disgraceful. You can't score if you don't shoot the puck. :argh:

I got the distinct impression that the Devils came out in the 3rd period with one goal in mind: "Kill a 20 minute powerplay". Limited forechecking. Everybody played back, allowing Detroit to attack freely. When the Devils did have chances, they were attacking 1-on-4... there was nobody to pass to.

Under the old W-L-T format, the Devils are 12-12-7. Which is about right. We've looked like a .500 team most of this season. Flashes of brilliance at times, absolutely crushed at others. But overall, a .500 team.

just back from the game...the devils should've lost 6-1. Brodeur was excellent all game. The wings really controlled the play from start to finish. i saw a high school team vs. the pros today. the wings constant pressure along with their skill and speed were absolultely NO match for the devils.

the penalty on langenbrunner that led to the PP goal against and the hale call before it were awful...like mactavish getting fined $10k for having to call the refs out on it awful.

this was one of the most disappointing games i've been to in a while. a loss is one thing. but when you really have no chance because the other team is just SO much better than you it makes you step back and look at this devils team. now i'm not screaming to trade everyone and tank the season. but what i am saying is that its games like these that show you exactly what you are. the devils will most likely make the playoffs getting the 5-7 seed. they may even win a round. but they have no business being mentioned with the top 8 teams in this league. they're like a decent restaurant in a suburb of NY. sure you'll most likely get a pretty good meal and the service will be fine. but it will never be a top end restaurant in NYC or even one of the leading restaurants in Jersey.

i know what i've got with this team....and it sucks when you can't really dream past it.

WRONG!

First, the Devils couldn't do much offensively but to say the Devils are a high school team and the Wings are pros is just stupid. The Devils haven't been playing well lately but to say they aren't in the Wings class is ridiculous. The Devils just lost a regular season game to a team they play once a year by a score of 2-1. Relax.

Second, I try to watch all the games around the NHL and I think I have a pretty good feel of all the teams and the Devils are absolutely in the top 8. Not a top 4 but definitely a top 8. In the NHL all you have to be is top 16 and you've got a chance Name 8 teams that have a better chance to win the Cup than the Devils. Just with Brodeur alone the team has a chance to make a Cup run every year.

Third, I like your quote, "i know what i've got with this team....and it sucks when you can't really dream past it". It's a good thing the 1980 US Olympic team didn't have the same attitude as you or there would've been no miracle. It's a good thing last year's Oilers didn't have the same attitude or Buster Douglas or the 69 Mets or any other underdog in sports for that matter. Do me a favor and dream a little.

Or last year's Devils for that matter who won the division from 19 points behind in January. Unfortunately that might be part of the problem, the team now feels they can turn it on whenever they need to and that's always dangerous (see: 2001 Devils).

I don't think there's that many teams clearly better than the Devils. A few reside in the West but you only have to play one in the Finals. Other than Buffalo and I suppose a healthy Carolina there aren't really any teams in the East you can point to and say they're better. Possibly the Rangers if they keep playing the way they have, but they have up-and-down tendencies too.

Of course there are a lot of teams that can play with the Devils, it's all a part of parity. Almost any team can beat any other team on a given night, which is why teams can't pick and choose which games they want to play. This team has to come and play every night or they will be in trouble.

BTW the schedule argument is a bit silly, the Devils are 9-2 against Pittsburgh, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Carolina. Does Carolina not qualify as a tough team anymore, they were hot early in the season when we beat them twice? So they didn't win two games on the West Coast against Anaheim and SJ and they lost to Buffalo and Detroit at home, that means they can't beat a good team anymore? A lot of teams lose at Anaheim and SJ and against Buffalo and Detroit.

Edited by Hasan4978

And the Penguins 5-2 down @ Montreal.

Sounds like a dreary game (Devils), unfortunatly was in Nottingham so I had to miss it :(

WRONG!

First, the Devils couldn't do much offensively but to say the Devils are a high school team and the Wings are pros is just stupid. The Devils haven't been playing well lately but to say they aren't in the Wings class is ridiculous. The Devils just lost a regular season game to a team they play once a year by a score of 2-1. Relax.

Second, I try to watch all the games around the NHL and I think I have a pretty good feel of all the teams and the Devils are absolutely in the top 8. Not a top 4 but definitely a top 8. In the NHL all you have to be is top 16 and you've got a chance Name 8 teams that have a better chance to win the Cup than the Devils. Just with Brodeur alone the team has a chance to make a Cup run every year.

Third, I like your quote, "i know what i've got with this team....and it sucks when you can't really dream past it". It's a good thing the 1980 US Olympic team didn't have the same attitude as you or there would've been no miracle. It's a good thing last year's Oilers didn't have the same attitude or Buster Douglas or the 69 Mets or any other underdog in sports for that matter. Do me a favor and dream a little.

1) Please do not come here and tell me to "relax." I was not screaming. I was not venting. I was not insulting other posters who believe this team can do no wrong. You make it seem like I'm new at this and that I take one particular game to hard. I assure you, I'm not and I didn't.

2) The Devils are not in a class with the Wings and it showed tonight. While it's true that Detroit only has 4 more points, they have scored more and given up less and that's with the Devils getting a great season out of Marty. The Wings speed and skill blew away the Devils tonight and if Brodeur wasn't awesome and the wings didn't hit 3 posts, it would've been 6-1.

3) Teams better than the Devils (not just points - better): Buffalo, Atlanta, Nashville, Detroit, Anaheim, SJ, Dallas, Montreal

4) Don't talk to me about underdogs. This is not David and Goliath here. This is a decidedly average team with an excellent goaltender and several players, who when on, are fantastic but when not, are ordinary. To this point, they have not risen to the occaision at all this year - I don't count comebacks against low level teams when the devils play hard for the last 2 minutes after sucking for the first 58. And I didn't say I was incapable of dreaming for hard things. I believed back in 2000 when they were down 1-3 to Philly (go back and find it...you'll see I was one of the VERY few that not only believed, but was determined that they would come back).

to this point, officer, your posts haven't aggitated me as much as others. but you'll excuse me if i take exception with you calling me to task as if i'm some overcrazed fan that jumps on and off bandwagons with every change in the wind.

Edited by sundstrom

Sundstrom this team isn't that far away here from being one of those elite teams. Detroit was not that much better today. I think the Devils 1. missing a power forward. 2. another defenseman.

Most of all this team is missing a fire under its ass.

When they play with that fire under their ass, they are damned good.

I think the Devils 1. missing a power forward. 2. another defenseman.

Totally agree,

This team needs a defenceman with experince, a good set of wheels and can score.

That is the reason this team is producing so little offensivley, the D isnt setting anything up, and thats meaning the forwards are having to work harder to create chances.

If lou can find a way to adress this before the end of the season , i see no reason this team cant make a mark on the playoffs.

I didnt get to watch the game tonight,

Who was the best defenceman????

3) Teams better than the Devils (not just points - better): Buffalo, Atlanta, Nashville, Detroit, Anaheim, SJ, Dallas, Montreal

The same Atlanta that just got pounded 6-0 by the Isles and also got pounded 8-0 by the powerhouse Lightning last week? Atlanta has offensive skill but they are way too bipolar for me to consider them among the elite teams. Every time I see Montreal they win a game getting outshot 42-25 with Huet making 40 saves, I'm not sure they're an upper-echelon team either. Most of the other teams you named are in the West and will beat each other up in the playoffs.

This team needs a defenceman with experince, a good set of wheels and can score.

where, and with what cap space will this player come from? and the same can be asked for the "power forward" that the team is lacking. in truth, lou's plan was for rafalski to be the player you're describing. but he has been terrible this year, leading to some of the problems the devils have had. martin's regression hasn't helped matters. sure, this team may have a second half surge again, but i just don't see enough. marty would have to have a gaa under 2 the rest of the way for this team to really make hay and his defense won't help him out.

where, and with what cap space will this player come from?

I dont know, you tell me????

I didnt say it was possible , i was just saying that is what we need to really move up a gear.

Thats also why i said if lou can find a way.

I know Lou was hoping Rafalski would be that player but he isn't, he is a great d-man and i dont want him to leave.

Its a shame Martin and Rafi are having below par years because Odouya and Luko have been much better than i expected.

No way in hell is Montreal a better team than the Devils. The Devils and Brodeur have owned this team over the last few years. Go ask Montreal fans who they would least like to see in the playoffs and I bet most would say NJ.

I don't care what the standings say Atlanta is not a great team. They can score but they're defensively irresponsible and Lehtonen hasn't had many good games since October.

I'll give you Buffalo, Anaheim, Dallas, SJ, Nashville, Detroit. That's 6 teams. You're telling me the Devils aren't a top 8 team in hockey? All because they lost 2-1 to Wings.