The move from East Rutherford to Newark

LOTCB

Now that we are getting close to the end for the Brendan Byrne / Continental Airlines Arena for the Devils (could have anywhere from 1-8 games left at the arena) I was wondering how some of you who have been going there either since 1982 or just started going last year...are any of you going to miss the new arena tremendously? Are you indifferent about it? Or are you just so pumped for the new arena that you do not care at all about leaving East Rutherford?

Just putting this out there as I am curious about the emotions of the move now that we are getting closer to it becoming a reality.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been attending games since 83 and I am just super psyched for the new arena, I really do not think I will miss much about CAA. I mean just memories of things tehre, but we can always talk and reminisce about that for the rest of our lives. And we can make new memories at the new arena

Good question and I have been thinking about this a lot. I will miss the Brendan Byrne/CAA with all the years and memories I have had seen in that building. All the season and playoff Devils games to concerts, basketball, the circus and other events over the years I will take those memories and never forget them. It will be a sad day for me and most likely a very emotional one knowing it could be the last game ever to be watched at the CAA. :saddevil:

The good news is most of that sadness will be filled with joy knowing the Devils and us fans will be having a new home and arena for next season. :evil: I am sure there will be lots of new memories for years to come.

I will never forget the Brendan Byrne/CAA. It was our home for 25 years and even longer for me as far as other events there. It will be missed by many.

For me it's great bc it's a little closer they'll have a team store and restaurants.

Thus making the fan and family experience better as a whole(mostly bc it's a day

trip for someone like me) Now for those of you who go and tailgate and have

a great time eating, drinking, playing hockey ect I'm not sure what you're

in for. Is there a place for those people to continue that which has become

a game day tradition for so many fans. And what will become of the 228 crazies???

Or section 218??

Thanks for the correction Satan

Edited by Devilish34

I've been going there since the 92-93 season but I've only been driving there since the lockout.

I thought I would miss it, but the more I think about the Newark arena, the more excited about it I get and the less I feel like I will miss CAA. It's going to be so nice just taking a train there from New Brunswick and Metropark.

I never really hated the CAA but I appreciate that it is an antiquated dump and for the Devils to draw, the move was absolutely necessary.

i would never have paid to sit downstairs at CAA for a full season. My center Ice 5th row upstairs were fine. I am pulling every string I can to be able to get Club Seats for Newark because this arena will be awesome and the benefits of those seats (bigger seats, included food & parking, etc) are very much worth it to me.

I won't miss CAA one bit. Coming from West Orange, it should closer from 280 but the traffic around the arena could make up for the fact that there was never traffic for me to get to CAA.

Wasn't there talk in the really initial stages regarding the move of a site in Hoboken? That would be really good with the PATH being there, bars and night life, etc - guess it was just a thought...

Now that we are getting close to the end for the Brendan Byrne / Continental Airlines Arena for the Devils (could have anywhere from 1-8 games left at the arena) I was wondering how some of you who have been going there either since 1982 or just started going last year...are any of you going to miss the new arena tremendously? Are you indifferent about it? Or are you just so pumped for the new arena that you do not care at all about leaving East Rutherford?

Just putting this out there as I am curious about the emotions of the move now that we are getting closer to it becoming a reality.

I am very excited about it. Hate is a strong word and I won't use it to describe a building. However, its out of the way and far away location has certainly kept my game attendances to a minimum. In fact it is not a stretch to say that in the last ten years I have attended more Devils/Rangers games at MSG than Devils home games due almost exclusively to how much easier it is to get to MSG than CAA.

I am thrilled that I will be able to go to a train station a few blocks from my house and go to the arena. I have always envied the Rangers fans in that way. Going to games at MSG is great since the train stops right there.

Even driving will be easier since you have so many more road options available.

I have some great memories of games and concerts and CAA and those moments won't dissipate with the new arena.

I keep meaning to take an earlier train when I go into the city and walk around the arena. How close can you get to it now?

Edit: Hoboken was McMullin's dream. In the end it was just going to cost too much.

Edited by PeteyNice

I am pulling every string I can to be able to get Club Seats for Newark because this arena will be awesome and the benefits of those seats (bigger seats, included food & parking, etc) are very much worth it to me.

I have very mixed emotions about the new arena. I've been going to CAA since '87 and yes I agree it is now a dump. I have so many great memories there that I can't even begin to count. It would have been nice if they could have built the new arena in E. Rutherford but we all know that was not going to happen. My friends and I are among those who love to tailgate and that will be gone in Newark. :( Mass transit really doesn't help me where I live and I am very concerned about driving to Newark. The parking is limited and if you get a few blocks away from the arena it's not a very nice area. I am looking foward to a beautiful new home for my Devs though. It will be nice not to get stampeded between periods.

MD, I just had my first visit to the Panthers stadium back in April and thought it was very nice. Unlike our new arena they had plenty of parking and space for tailgating. I got a big kick out of the guy in the rikshaw bringing people up to the arena. And it was in a much nicer area then Newark. :blink:

I have very mixed emotions about the new arena. I've been going to CAA since '87 and yes I agree it is now a dump. I have so many great memories there that I can't even begin to count. It would have been nice if they could have built the new arena in E. Rutherford but we all know that was not going to happen. My friends and I are among those who love to tailgate and that will be gone in Newark. :( Mass transit really doesn't help me where I live and I am very concerned about driving to Newark. The parking is limited and if you get a few blocks away from the arena it's not a very nice area. I am looking foward to a beautiful new home for my Devs though. It will be nice not to get stampeded between periods.

MD, I just had my first visit to the Panthers stadium back in April and thought it was very nice. Unlike our new arena they had plenty of parking and space for tailgating. I got a big kick out of the guy in the rikshaw bringing people up to the arena. And it was in a much nicer area then Newark. :blink:

I was thinking about this today. Most likely after the Devils complete their season (whenever that is) this year I will most probaly NEVER go back to the arena. For the most part I feel that the arena is going to have a very hard time competing with the new arena in Newark. If you were going to have an event, where would you rather have it, at the construction site known as Continental Airlines Arena, or in a new state of the art arena in Newark. I have a feeling the Nets are the only thing this is going to keep CAA open for however long they remain in NJ. CAA is a mess, it's turned into a big dump, BUT I have to say I will miss it.

Not only because of the Devils, but because I have been going there since I was 7 years old. Alot of great memories in that building.

Needless to say a little part of me will miss it, but I am super psyched for the new arena.