Who do you want to see in a Devils jersey next year?

stevestevens

Which free agents do you want to come to NJ next season?

On this think somewhat realistically, but let your mind stretch out and pick a player that probably has a small chance of being here.

Some of mine include either, Smyth, Kariya, (if he becomes a free agent) Shanahan, someone like that who would come in and give our offense a push.

I would want Smyth, but the problem is he will command a very long deal, at least over 4 years if not 6. He is a great player but with the way he plays, I can see his body wearing out midway through the deal and him declining a lot. Sort of like Johnny Damon with the Yankees right now.

The free agent I really want (not coming from the Devils already) is Scott Hannan. 6-1, 220 pounds defenseman, who knows how to use his size effectively. The Devils really need a solid, stay at home defender, and he fits the bill perfectly. With the salary cap going up, Lou should have enough room to add him and other players like Rafalski with no problem. He also has been a leader in San Jose and that seems to make him a good clubhouse guy.

I hope the Devils can re-sign Rafalski (which is going to be official soon) and hopefully Oduya.

I appreciate Scott Gomez, but I think it is best for the Devils and for him, if they were to split ways. Thanks for everything Scotty and have a great career.

forsberg..that would be neat-o-rific...:P

Shanny would be awesome, i'm a huge Shanahan fan

I don't really think any of the available free agents are worth overpaying for this summer. I would rather Lou save some money to see who becomes available during the season or even for next years free agent market, when there may be some real superstars available.

I don't really think any of the available free agents are worth overpaying for this summer. I would rather Lou save some money to see who becomes available during the season or even for next years free agent market, when there may be some real superstars available.

Jason Blake or Ryan Smyth. I don't know why I'm tapping into the Islanders, but both of those players would be great.

Blake has awesome speed and can score some great goals, and Ryan Smyth just seems like he should be playing for the Devils. He has an incredible work ethic, backchecks efficiently, and does wonders in front of the net.

I agree with Troy about getting Drury, but that seems like a bit of a pipe dream to me, although that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump for joy if he signed with New Jersey.

You're probably right but if we lock ourselves in to long delas for Gomez and Rafalski (I actually consider Raffy a foregone conclusion so I don't really consider him part of this discussion) our team is pretty much locked in for the next several years. I would rather be one of the teams that holds out and has the ability to take advantage as real superstars become available. Think about it, in the last 2 years, Thornton, Luongo, Niedermayer and Proger (twice) have all changed teams.

I wouldn't be against signing one of the older players to a short term contract but I don't think it would be wise to commit 7 million for the next 5 or 6 years to any of the big 3 centers available.

Edited by Triumph

I love this idea, Philly, but the market is settling down. After the lockout, none of the teams really knew what was going on - look at the contracts Pronger and Thornton signed, they're a joke now. Players far worse are going to be making a lot more money. Since teams know what the market's like these days, they now lock up their superstar players before they can get to free agency, like the Canucks did with Luongo, and Tampa Bay with Brad Richards. The market isn't going to get any better. Patrick Marleau will likely be the best thing available next year, and he's no superstar.

I would not sign one of the big centers either, but bypassing this market altogether guarantees the Devils will have a hard time making it out of the first round, and could struggle to make the playoffs. Ideally I'd like to see Forsberg but I hear he's unavailable - tough luck.

Forsberg would be a good addition if he plays. Which i dont see happening really. If he dose play, it wont be a full season and he wont be 100% either. Shame that luck has never been on his side to keep him healthy. I havent seen Shanahan receiving a deal yet. I'd LOVE to have him. Im close with my brother and hes a Ranger fan and we commonly will watch a game together. Ive never been too impressed by Jagr, but Shanahan is another story. He was the Rangers. If we can steal him, we hurt the Rangers and give us a huge plus. He's the guy i want, though probably not happening.

Jason Blake or Ryan Smyth. I don't know why I'm tapping into the Islanders, but both of those players would be great.

Blake has awesome speed and can score some great goals, and Ryan Smyth just seems like he should be playing for the Devils. He has an incredible work ethic, backchecks efficiently, and does wonders in front of the net.

I agree with Troy about getting Drury, but that seems like a bit of a pipe dream to me, although that doesn't mean I wouldn't jump for joy if he signed with New Jersey.