NBC Cleans House

Devilsdude530

The studio intermission show will be scrapped. Likely Milbury, possibly Ferraro and a new host (My guess: NBC's Al Michaels, 2nd guess would be Costas or Keith Olbermann) on site from each "Game of the Week" aired.

I wouldn't expect Doc's role to change.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...sHockey/?query=

Edited by Devilsdude530

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Doc and Ray Ferraro would be a good pair. But Eddie Olczyk is good and I think Jeremy Roenick is probably gonna try to get a piece of the action too.

I thought Clement was DECENT as a Studio Host guy... that's a shame.... but I guess they are trying to remove the ESPN Stain from their studios which is good too...and I loved how he told Hull to shut up and let him speak for ten seconds :lol:

Hull was even sorta growing on me.... he was growing even more if Roenick was gonna replace him :P

but yes Mister Ferraro I WOULD like fries with that... I am all about that B )

Yeah i'm surprised I thought Clement did a good job as a studio host. Hull was unbelievably terrible, and ferraro was his usual mediocre self. I hope the best part of the NBC telecasts, Doc and Eddie O are still in tact.

The fact that Bucciogross is no where near hockey coverage in america is a tragedy.

I didn't like the fact that one guy represented all hockey on the only national networks in the US---Clement.

NBC is NOT going to invest Costas, Olberman or anyone significant for this.

I expect Roenick to join and they will probably get some ESPN cast off to take the post.

Is Olbermann losing his show on MSNBC? I don't get MSNBC so I watch Countdown on Youtube. I didn't even know he did sports.

Olbermann started out in sports, at least on a national level. He and Dan Patrick brought SportsCenter to the national prominence it enjoys today, and even still the current guys there try to emulate their style.

Yes, because what we really need to sell the game is a guy making Stryper and White Lion references during the highlights.

As for Clement, I have to disagree with some on the board -- he was the perfect Ernie Johnson-esque square as a studio host. The problem was that Hull and Ferraro had zippy chemistry, and the whole operation was so rushed that they never had a chance to establish a rapport. I liked Clement about 10,000 times better in the studio than in the booth.

<JESTER>

I wonder if this means Clement will be the color guy with Doc. I hope not. Also, I've seen Al Trautwig fill in for Clement at times so he may be the replacement.

Yes, because what we really need to sell the game is a guy making Stryper and White Lion references during the highlights.

So how would YOU sell the game, Jester? You slam one of the few hockey-loving American members of the media whenever his name comes up, but with the exception of one column during the lockout where you advocated the TV contract going to HBO, I don't think you've ever mentioned who you'd rather see. Who do you think will capture the attention of the American viewing public?

Wow I'd rather have MELROSE over Milbury :argh::argh:

Bucci would have been okay I guess... but he's a better sidekick anaylst type... Clement was the ideal presenter and set up the segments guy, maybe he still does it for Vs??

Al Trautwig will make me want to go Chris Benoit on the NBC Studios!!! :rant:

The NBC broadcast needs the following:

1. Analysts who can sell the game in a simplistic and enthusiastic manner: Let's be honest, I believe a lot of us here represent a small percentage of hockey fans...we read about the NHL every day, and are very knowledgeable fans...most are not as hard core as we are...and the fans who are considering watching the NHL and do not know about the little nuisances and obscure rules need to be sold the game in a simplistic manner to be able to enjoy this great game.

2. Market the heck out of the top stars: Make us here get sick of Sidney Crosby...because it DOES work...look at Tiger...look at Michael...the NHL NEEDS to improve on this BIG time, and the NHL stop assuming people want to seek them out. Use NBC as an outlet to make this happen.

If NBC wants Trautwig, they are first going to have to extricate his lips from Jim Dolan's posterior.

My vote for studio host is the monkey from "Most Valuable Primate," if he's available. I think he'll get the ratings up to 2.0.

The NBC broadcast needs the following:

1. Analysts who can sell the game in a simplistic and enthusiastic manner: Let's be honest, I believe a lot of us here represent a small percentage of hockey fans...we read about the NHL every day, and are very knowledgeable fans...most are not as hard core as we are...and the fans who are considering watching the NHL and do not know about the little nuisances and obscure rules need to be sold the game in a simplistic manner to be able to enjoy this great game.

2. Market the heck out of the top stars: Make us here get sick of Sidney Crosby...because it DOES work...look at Tiger...look at Michael...the NHL NEEDS to improve on this BIG time, and the NHL stop assuming people want to seek them out. Use NBC as an outlet to make this happen.

Edited by Jerrydevil