Devils sign F Arron Asham

empulse27

I'm glad everyone's starting to see that having four fairly balanced lines is much better than what we've had in the past.

Now with our first and second line, our third line can be

Madden-Pando-Clarkson --> Clarkson will give the line offense which makes it more balanced

And our fourth line can posstibly be

Viukohla-Brylin-Asham with Rupp/Janssen/Pelley rotating in every once in awhile

Does everyone see how much more offense the fourth line has now with Brylin back there, Viukohla's potential, Asham's 25 points a season, Pelley's potential and Rupp's all-around ability to score a goal every once in awhile? As much as I like Janssen, he really should just go down to Lowell or get traded to a team like St. Louis for a draft pick.

No. I love Sarge, but I question his offensive ability 5-on-5. I love him on our second PP unit, but he is more of a defense first type of player and too expect much offense out of him is pretty dated thinking.

Asham on the Madden line gives them the grinder and the agitator they we have been missing on the shutdown line since Holik left. Asham can keep up with Madden and give Pando more space.

Brylin-Rupp-Janssen/Clarkson will probably make up the 4th line, but I can see Brylin and Clarkson on the 2nd PP unit.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils sign Asham

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2007/08...s-sign-ash.html

The Devils signed former Islanders right wing Arron Asham today to a one-year contract for $700,000. Asham, a 29-year-old unrestricted free agent, registered 11 goals and 12 assists in 80 games with the Isles in 2006-07. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound native of Portage La Prairie, Manitoba was drafted by Montreal in the fifth round in 1996 and traded to the Islanders in 2002. He scored a career-high 15 goals for the Isles in 2002-03. He'll likely fit on the Devils' fourth line, but is capable of filling in on the second or third line as well.

i don't see why we'd want any more than one year. rod pelley is a year away (or won't make it at all), and rupp and janssen are signed to multi-year deals.

it is interesting how there are about 15-25 guys who played in the NHL either last year or in the past not signed yet - mike johnson, dan mcgillis, tony amonte, jeff friesen, mark smith, erik rasmussen, etc. - maybe asham just wanted to be on a team in the NY area. seems to me he could make more money and years elsewhere.

Edited by Triumph

Id expect 2 years too.

Dose anyone else get reminded of Langenbrunner when they saw Asham play? Langenbrunner is definatly more talented and has more things workign for him, but the grit and play is similar.

I dont think Janssen getting less time is that concernable. I hope Asham is on the third line but if not i dont see it being a problem. Janssen woudl go in and out of spots such as pinching into Bryling and Clarksons spot to go out, rough up, then return or he could go out, fight. Either way i dont see a problem.

Janssen dosent have the ability to play all that great, his skill level is about Orrs, Cam and Orr are similar players but i honestly give a fighting edge to Cam.

Asham is a more complete hockey player and his fighting ability is about the same as Cams. Asham is a guy capable of maybe pulling a Bobby Orr hattrick in a good game. He has good hands and could make things happen. Definatly a good pickup.

As for Ras, i dont expect to sign back.

I just loved when Asham faught Cam last season. They seemed to like each other, and Arron patted Cam on the butt as they skated off to the box. :rofl:

PS - I traded for Asham last year in NHL 06 and put him on the third line with Madden and Pandolfo... psychic maybe... or just as smart as Lou? :P

Edited by mddevsfan

Isles have a ton of guys like this in their system with Bergenheim and Nokalainen. It's also possible that Asham didn't want to return to Long Island.

I really don't see Janssen getting in less games than he did last year, even so. The Devils did just sign him to a 3 year deal.