49 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Hiring of Brent Sutter
    • Dainius Zubrus
    • Vitaly Vishnevski
    • Arron Asham
    • Karel Rachunek
    • Kevin Weekes
    • Grand-Pierre, resign of Oduya, the other little things...
    • Not getting into a bidding war over Gomez
    • Not getting into a bidding war over Rafalski

With the liklihood that the team is virtually set for next season, which is going to pay the most dividends for the team next season?

I would say Sutter, but being he's never coached in the NHL, I can't say that just yet. Everything about him screams success though and I've never been this excited about the Devils' coach before.

From a player perspective, I think Zubrus will thrive in NJ so he would be my pick. I also don't want to downplay Weekes' pickup either, while he's not going to play a lot, he is definitely going to be more dependable than Clemmer and should help us win a few games.

Edited by ghdi

I voted for the Gomer one, but that was really more of an "Unloading Gomer" vote. There was no way we were going to match anything obscene like that.

I'm happy Lou didn't go out and find a retread to coach though. I think the new blood is going to succeed.

Not getting Souray sucked. It was a big hit to the babe level in the building.

Have you not scene his gorgeous wife?? :whistling:

This was a tough one between Sutter and not bidding for Gomez. In the end, not signing Gomez allowed us to add more talented depth (VV, Rachenek and Asham).

We still need a good center to play between Elias/Gionta as Zubrus will probably be on the 4th line by November.

In the end, not signing Gomez allowed us to add more talented depth (VV, Rachenek and Asham).

We still need a good center to play between Elias/Gionta as Zubrus will probably be on the 4th line by November.

I concur on the 1st part.

And I see yer still lugging around that black cloud for the 2nd part. :lol:

I concur on the 1st part.

And I see yer still lugging around that black cloud for the 2nd part. :lol:

LOL

Actually, I was starting to be swayed by members on this board, THEN I picked up the Hockey News 500 player projections for this year and reality entered the equation again:

"Without special circumstances, he is an often injured second or third line player". They are projecting him to be in the 40-50 range, which is what I was thinking initially.

Believe me, I am hoping for the best (Arnott turned it around here), but Zubrus has never shown that he can do the job in his entire career as teams over and over have just given up on him.

On this cue, let us introduce the Triumph rosy colored glasses rebuttal:

Maybe Im a little overly optimistic about him, but I really like the Vishnevski signing, Ive always liked him and I think he will fit our defense very well.

I am kind of expecting big things this year, don't know why, Im just feeling like we are putting together some guys who will play the system very well, and Parise and Zajac are going to really bloom (even more) this year. CUP!

I think that Zubrus is going to fit well with us, we have needed a big first line center ever since Arnott was traded. This allows Elias to set up plays the way Gomez used to. If we didnt get Zubrus, we would most likely have Zach Pairse at first line center and that would break up the ZZ Pop line from last year, the most consistant line.

Sutter is a good coach but, I think it would have been easier to find another good coach than to find someone that can be our first line center.

I think the best move this off-season was from the CAA to the Rock

wow yeah hands down winner

as for a real response, Sutter has coached exactly 0 NHL games. Obviously I think he'll be a good coach given how much $ and years Lou threw at him, but beyond that I can't say whether this is great or not.

Zubrus was pretty damn good when he went over to Buffalo, that's been his problem since his first year, he only shows up for part of the year. I think with the leadership on the team, the winning tradition and the defensive first mentality he's the type of player (see Arnott etc) that can fit here if his head is on straight and he stays healthy. Sutter nor Lou nor the team will let him slack and if he does he won't last and some other team will take him in trade.

I have to say that most of the moves (exception: Rafalski) that Lou made this off-season have been great.

He's not going out and picking up big-name (and big dollar!) guys like the Rangers or loading up with washed up has-beens and never-were players like the Islanders.

With guys like Rachunek, Zubrus, and Weekes, Lou's additions have been subtle. But those subtle moves, coupled with the new coach will be more effective than a lot of people seem to think.

Sutter gets my vote. I think this new Devils team is going to be a well-oiled machine.

Edited by puckrock