Are we the new Flyers?

eaglejelly

I'll take a 1st round loss in the playoffs then never having the chance any year. I was happy with the team and while disappointed we didn't win the cup, valued our long lasting consistent success.

I have no doubts that we will get it together and continue the tradition, but getting knocked out in the 2nd round of the playoffs and winning the division, 2nd in the conference is nothing to sneeze at and something to build off of, not tear down and start from scratch. But not all of that is Sutters fault, I don't blame Lou for Gomez, but he could have had Rafalski and Luko signed and in NJ if he wanted and those 2 are better then any pair of D that have skated in the 4 games thus far.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I remember about a month ago when everyone on this board has IV's of :koolaid: sticking out of thier veins for Mr. Sutter. 4 games into the regular season and he's quickly becoming public enemy number 1.

I just don't think we have the personel to play his agressive forechecking style. Problem is, we don't have the personel to play a tight defensive style either. Time will tell if this team can truly jell, but it's going to be a long painful road to get there.

We'll be good again...we just have to be :gasp: patient!!

Of course, the big question right now is was it the right one? It's way too early to say, even though they couldn't look much worse. But if the Devils are going to change their approach on the ice, I'd like to Lou change his approach off it as well. Why are the Devils automatically not in the running for big-name free agents? Why is it that when it comes to free-agent signings Lou always seems to be reactive and not proactive...it's always, "Well, we're going to lose this guy and that guy, so once the big names are gone let's see how we can plug the holes."

The problem with big-name free agents is that a team invariably has to give out BOTH too many years and dollars.

Look at what Gomez, Briere, Drury, Rafalski, etc. got.

Mid-range free agents, a team will often have to give either too many years (Dainius Zubrus) or too many dollars (No one on NJ - but there's plenty of mid-range guys making too much).

The only way I could justify the Devils signing a big-time name is if they were in the running for the Stanley Cup. So - next season, Lou could possibly justify it. I'm not sure it will happen though.

Six years for Zubrus was absurd. I haven't liked that deal since it was announced. I hope he can stay healthy and show some of the ability he did in Washington, because that contract is as untradable as it gets.

It's definitely a risk, and I wouldn't want Lou to sign a big-time name just for the sake of doing it. But I get the feeling Lou doesn't even consider that kind of signing as an option. Why not? Yes, on some of these deals, the money seems huge at first, but it looks like the cap's going to keep going up, so in a few years the annual salary isn't going to be as big a deal as when the contract's signed. I agree that the lengths of these deals are the killers...but if the guy's in his prime and clearly has top-level talent, I'd like to see Lou, just once, throw his hat in the ring.

Edited by Triumph

Look at the last three seasons. One playoff round win over a team that was in complete disarray and freefalling, and another over a team that absolutely no goaltending to speak off...three playoff round losses where the Devils looked like they were always two steps behind and constantly overwhelmed...solid regular season point totals, but too many bite-your-nails victories that wear down a team over the long haul (as the Devils' low goal differential relative to their record shows). I think Lou realized that the organziation had taken this approach as far as it could go (especially since the Devils no longer have the talent on defense that they once did), and opted to go in a different direction.

Of course, the big question right now is was it the right one? It's way too early to say, even though they couldn't look much worse. But if the Devils are going to change their approach on the ice, I'd like to Lou change his approach off it as well. Why are the Devils automatically not in the running for big-name free agents? Why is it that when it comes to free-agent signings Lou always seems to be reactive and not proactive...it's always, "Well, we're going to lose this guy and that guy, so once the big names are gone let's see how we can plug the holes."

As a newer Devils fan, I'm in horror here. You guys are in a total panic! The season is SO young right now. Let me remind you all that we are starting the season on one long ass road trip. If we left the road trip .500 I'd be happy...and that is still attainable.

You know, the truth is....it's not even about having the best regular season. It's about hanging in there, getting hot at the right time, and having a great playoff run. There is plenty of time later in the year to worry.

As a newer Devils fan, I'm in horror here. You guys are in a total panic! The season is SO young right now. Let me remind you all that we are starting the season on one long ass road trip. If we left the road trip .500 I'd be happy...and that is still attainable.

You know, the truth is....it's not even about having the best regular season. It's about hanging in there, getting hot at the right time, and having a great playoff run. There is plenty of time later in the year to worry.

thats what i was thinking after this loss tonight! But no, there are many much worse teams this year than us like atlanta!

i think to improve we should: Fire Sutter ReHire Robinson or move up MaClean, Make Elias Captain again, go back to the trapping style until we can find a good solid defense,put all the lines together from last year! Basically do everything we did last year until lou feels like getting a good all-star defensman!

Great Odin's raven! The Devils are 1-3!

I hate to be the guy that says Sutter's off the hook, but...Sutter's off the hook. Players play the game, and there's no excuse for some of our big-time offensive players going goal-less thus far this season -- especially the 3-for-18 roll on the power-play.

<JESTER>

Edited by Triumph

It's very early in the season. It's a nine-game road trip. Players are injured.

You have to take this into consideration. It's not like the Devils are THE DEVILS right now. A nine-gamer is rough enough, and doing it with a new coach, a new system, and half your roster on the meat-wagon, you can't expect to be like "OMFG WE IS 9-0-0 ON TEH TRIP!"

Sit back and enjoy the season. Things look a little sh!tty right now but trust me.. when they start enjoying the luxury of HOME GAMES and the adrenaline that The Rock is going to put forth, it'll be a whole new ice-game. Chemistry will develop in time and Marty will be better.

We're talking about the New Jersey Devils here, guys.

Meat wagon? jansen and white never puts up points and jamie is much more of a clutch playoff performer then a consistent scoring threat on the ice. Ill grant you having the latter two will improve the team but I don't see much relief from those three from a scoring persepective. Don't forget they get their automatic half season "recovery" grace period to play lousy hokey.

The Devils' power play is going to be terrible. It's definitely in the bottom third of the league. Being 3-18 is not at all unexpected.

One thing that Sutter has done, either rightly or wrongly, is constantly changed lines during the course of a game. This has probably hampered some chemistry from forming right away.

Our PP will be fine this year, once our forwards remember how to score. Our point men are already an improvement over last year.

3-18 is much better than an expensive 0-16 PP over at MSG....at half the price!!!

Constantly changing lines shift by shift is not coaching, its guessing and hoping.