How was your experience getting to and leaving the arena?

Satans Hockey

Not bad getting there little pain getting out due to streets being closed/me not knowing where to go.

It's just a haul for me but worth the trip when I can do it.

I parked @ Starpark on Edison so I probably had on of the shortest walks,

but prob the longest drive after the game.

Take Broad Street instead of McCarter Highway and it'll cut your time in 1/2. Also, leaving Star Parking, they won't let you make a left. Make a right out of Edison, left on Market, left on Halsey and left on Branford (a lot of work to just turn around!). That'll take you back to Broad Street. Been there for both the concert and now the Devs and Broad is a breeze in and out. So far with 2 pretty packed houses at the Rock, the commute is WAY better than what was at the Meadowlands (parking at Giants Stadium and either walking or busing over). The real test will come now that people have taken the trains and will want to test driving if mass transit was a bad experience. But as of today, I'm digging this whole experience! :dance:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting to the arena was no problem, leaving was a different story altogether. I parked in the lot across from which was 25 dollars pre-paid, and than had to wait in a ridiculous line to get my car after the game. Then on my way back to the turnpike, there was a green trailblazer in front of me that literally hit a guy and ran. It was unbelievable. Im not sure the street name but we were making the right turn that takes us to the turn pike and there was a guy in the middle of the road(very hard to see him), we think he was trying to clean car windows and we see him do a complete 360 in the air after getting hit by the truck and the truck just hauled ass and got out of there. An authentic newark experience i guess??? Overall though not a bad drive in and out. Arena looks awesome and I'm sure everything will get more efficient as the season goes on.

Anyone here drive a green trailblazer?

Geez did you report it to the police?

Getting in was terrible. All those fans trying to get into 2 cylinder entrances with only 2 doors open. Not smart.

Getting out was easy.

My only real problems are the trains. Leaving, we miss the 9:25 train, and have to wait for the 10:25. I ended up not getting home until almost 1am. That's unacceptable to me. That's 2 hours longer than it takes me to drive home from the Meadowlands, and Newark is closer! Add to that, I have to leave my house for a game now, almost an hour sooner than I would have for CAA, I'm not liking the train option at all. The problem being it's my only option.

I'll suck it up for the games I have in my plan this season, but if the train schedules don't become more accommodating to Event-goers, I'll be watching most of the games from my living room from now on :( which is a shame, as I really really love the new arena.

Edited by DevilzFan

I'll suck it up for the games I have in my plan this season, but if the train schedules don't become more accommodating to Event-goers, I'll be watching most of the games from my living room from now on :( which is a shame, as I really really love the new arena.

I wondered how many people would get caught in a situation like that. I don't know for certain, but NJTransit's new schedules go into effect today - I'd check out the new times, maybe there'll be better accommodations.

I carpooled in, but the people I went with had ridiculous VIP season ticket parking in the garage right next to the arena. Easy in, rather easy out - just a little tricky spotting where to go in order to get back to 21 & 20. The next test will be doing it Wednesday night and seeing how the drive is impacted by normal city traffic. The final test for me will be when I drive in to see a game without this guy, and I have to find parking on my own.

Anybody have suggestions for lots, with prices? Thanks.

If your train doesn't go right to Penn Station it can become a problem leaving, the new weeknight schedules have 9:44 and 10:32 departures back to Madison and Morristown from Broad Street. I'm not making the 9:44 one unless I leave early which I never do unless I have two things I'm doing at once like last night lol and 7 PM starts usually end at 9:30 or so which means about an hour layover (not counting the time it physically takes me to get from the arena to Broad Street, probably about a half hour or so).

At least there are 'some' things to do around town in the meantime, have a drink with a buddy somewhere in Penn Station if that's your thing. And you don't have to rush right out of the arena to beat the traffic if you're taking mass transit, you can hang out there for a while and watch the postgame highlights or even have a drink there, I think the bars are open but not sure about the rest of the food places. Maybe they'll even put the postgame show on some of the arena TV's, I don't know cause I didn't say after.

Getting there is pretty good, there are far more options as far as times go coming in than going out. And I'd still rather not worry about driving and getting caught in traffic even if the train overall takes a little more time.

Edited by Hasan4978

Yea the main issue for everyone was getting into the building. For some reason it didn't open until 5:45, when most assumed by 5 it would be open and free to roam...think of all the beer sales they lose...open up by 5:30 on game nights...

Also, things that were a bit confusing and not the best working will get fixed as tehy get used to it. This is especially true for the Club lounges. THeir food had trouble being replenished and the lines were too long. I attribute that to everyone getting in at the same time and not coming in over 2 hours.

That is the one thing the Devils SHOULD be taken to task for... they have this beautiful GEM of an arena they've been bragging and BEGGING to show off to us to "give us the arena we deserve".... and they keep you locked outside of the damn place FOREVER and give you NO TIME to get the hell in there to enjoy... and more important SPEND MONEY inside the place....

Though like I said... major props to the Arena Cafe bar outside!! :koolaid:

Drove up from Annapolis, MD in the pouring rain which ended about the time I reached Jamesburg. Drove to a manned parking lot in Harrison across the street from the Harrison PATH station ($7) and took the PATH train across the liftbridge into Penn Station. After postgaming at Scully's (good solid Irish pub 2 blocks from the arena) I took the PATH back to Harrison, hopped on I-280E and back on the turnpike. Eventually got back to the land o'crab cakes at 3:00 a.m.

I drove in from Staten Island also. I just did what the Devil's website said to do; Exit 15E on the turnpike to Raymond Blvd. Only problem was I didn't notice any parking at all until lot number 6 in the purple zone. I wouldn't recommend making that walk alone, especially down Academy street. I thought the 25$ lots in front of the arena had plenty of spots, so I'll probably use them in the future, especially since I always go to games by myself.

Train in = easy

Shuttle to Arena = easy

Realing my seats didn't exist = horrible

Shuttle to train = easy

train out = easy

It was kind fo cool seeing all of the Devils fans packed into the trains. Actually rain into someone I went to high school with. People who weren't going to the game just walked and looked around confused. I loved it! :evil:

And before anyone asks, yes, the seats I bought were legit. They just rain out of room when installing them and realized row 10 wouldn't have enough room for 15, only 13. And Jen and I had seats 14 and 15. Awesome job guys.

An usher got someone in a suit to come over and he gave us seats in the same section, Row 21. He told me to call the Devils on Monday because they'll do something for me. I felt bad for him because this happened to another couple and they were freaking out. I was just happy to sit down and watch the puck drop after standing for the opening ceremonies.

At the risk of giving away a juicy secret.

The line to get in on Lafayette on the backside of the practice rink took 5 mins while the cylynders were 50 deep... ;)

Hell's Kitchen on Lafayette and Beyruen was a kick ass bar.

Train from Ramsey was pretty simple.

Jen and I saw that small group of people there... but we walked past it because we waned to walk around the outside to see the whole arena. It's an awesome looking place. I have lots of pictures if anyone wants to see them. I'll wait for someone to ask so I don't whore my site like RD.

:lol:

Like I never do anything like that!

I drove in from Staten Island also. I just did what the Devil's website said to do; Exit 15E on the turnpike to Raymond Blvd. Only problem was I didn't notice any parking at all until lot number 6 in the purple zone. I wouldn't recommend making that walk alone, especially down Academy street. I thought the 25$ lots in front of the arena had plenty of spots, so I'll probably use them in the future, especially since I always go to games by myself.

Which train had a shuttle to it?

Concerning safety, I didn't feel unsafe anywhere. Hell, in the past when I'd walk from NY Penn to Javitz there were moments I felt less safe than I did Sat. night. There were plenty of cops everywhere and people guiding you on where to go.

I entered through the cylinder but one of the lines at the south cylinder, closest to the practice arena entrance, moved pretty quick. I was inside in no time. Some ass stopped and started asking the wand wavers some questions and held us up a little but not too long.

Exited through the north cylinder, also easy.

Everything was easy for me. Took the train from Point to Penn, no problems at all. Since we hung out at Arena Bar after the game, we didn't head home till the 12:54 train took off. No problems there either ... except for the fact that me and my buddy are idiots and missed our stop. :doh1: We had to walk from Bay Head to Point, but that's on us, not NJ Transit.

Also ... walking about five blocks in Newark around 1 a.m. wasn't bad at all. Never once did we not feel safe.