Oduya's Muffs

peteyvegas

Although I scream as loud as anyone everytime this kid coughs one up, I gotta give him some slack. Memories being short, doesn't anyone remember how Neids gave up one of these every period? Look how he turned out. In all fariness to Oduya, Marty stopped a lot more of Neids mistakes than he is his. But I'll be damned if religiously, three times a game, Neids would hand off one to an opposing forward. but just like Neids, the guy has speed breaking out of the zone and we need that. So lets save the noose until the final results are in on this kid, OK?

Although I scream as loud as anyone everytime this kid coughs one up, I gotta give him some slack. Memories being short, doesn't anyone remember how Neids gave up one of these every period? Look how he turned out. In all fariness to Oduya, Marty stopped a lot more of Neids mistakes than he is his. But I'll be damned if religiously, three times a game, Neids would hand off one to an opposing forward. but just like Neids, the guy has speed breaking out of the zone and we need that. So lets save the noose until the final results are in on this kid, OK?

no, he sucks and is a cancer to this team. playing one out of 10 where he doesn't make a mistake and is "normal" is not good enough for the NHL and he needs to go down to the minors where he belongs.

I think you are right, and he needs time to get his nhl legs. He is getting better.

Oduya's just too old to be making these kind of mistakes on a regular basis. I'd like to see how the team performs without him for a few games.

Sutter disagrees, because with Oduya we have won the last four. Not to say we couldn't have played better in this stretch (especially Oduya), but the way this season has gone I agree with Sutter that it would be a mistake to send that message during a winning streak. Athletes are superstitious and I'd just as well leave everything the same while we're winning. If things make a turn for the worse and the turnovers keep happening, then we can talk about letting him ride the pine.

Theres a difference between sitting a guy because of a lack of effort and sitting someone for making mistakes. I don;t think JO has motivational issues, and we all want him to do well, he just has to prove he can adjust to the NHL level.

But with someone like Rachunek sitting as a healthy scratch now, there is no room for Oduya's mistakes every night.

That was my thought. I also agree to not toy too much with a lineup that is winning but JO has done everything in his power to sabotoge those wins....time for him to sit.

Oduya was infact drafted in 2001, 7th round, 221st overall. Hes had a decent amount of time to gain experience. Andy Greene spent 4 years in college, less then 1 year in Lowell and is by far a more responsible player then Oduya.

Johnny O. ain't exactly Andy Greene. Greene could one day be a regular top pairing guy while Oduya would probably top out as a second pairing guy.

I'm all for giving Oduya every possible opportunity to succeed in October, November, and December. Let him get the experience. And besides, I still think Rachunek sucks. The guy scores one goal and sits a couple games and everybody forgets how terrible he was and wants to get him back in the lineup ASAP.

I'm honestly surprised he's playing above Rachuneck. I also think the Niedermayer comparison is ridiculous. No way could Oduya ever EVER EVER be a Niedermayer caliber player. No way, no how. Stop waiting for another Nieds and put the defenseman who is playing better in the game.

Oduya has 1/1,000,000,000 the talent of Nieder, so I'm not sure how that arguement is relevant.

I look at it this way...I'm shocked when Oduya is a able to make a standard NHL play, so that has to be some sort of an indication he has no business playing at this level...in my eyes at least.

Oduya's performance this year is rivaling Odelein circa 2000 for the single worst performance by a regular player in modern Devils history. If he stays in the lineup, I'm sure he'll surpass it.

I think unless theres drastic improvement............

The Oduya Experience will end after this season, if not during this season.

Im getting sick and tired of his miscues, some of them are not entirely his fault.

However, his decision-making has been at times, absolutely horrendous, and theres no excuse for that as he has continually made some bad decisions over and over again, and ultimately as he has had the time to get his orientation into the league and get his NHL legs, so I think time is running out.

Oduya has 1/1,000,000,000 the talent of Nieder, so I'm not sure how that arguement is relevant.

I look at it this way...I'm shocked when Oduya is a able to make a standard NHL play, so that has to be some sort of an indication he has no business playing at this level...in my eyes at least.

Oduya's performance this year is rivaling Odelein circa 2000 for the single worst performance by a regular player in modern Devils history. If he stays in the lineup, I'm sure he'll surpass it.

C'mon now. At least Oduya has skating speed and can get the puck out of the zone sometimes. Odelein was simply lost all the time and totally inept.

Oduya will have whole games where he looks like an NHL player, and then will just make a horrible play that ruins the whole thing.

I can name TWENTY worse defensemen in the 15 years I've been watching this team that were LEGIONS worse then Oduya

stop being so damned spoiled... the days of a stacked hall of fame defense are GONE!

I think unless theres drastic improvement............

The Oduya Experience will end after this season, if not during this season.

Im getting sick and tired of his miscues, some of them are not entirely his fault.

However, his decision-making has been at times, absolutely horrendous, and theres no excuse for that as he has continually made some bad decisions over and over again, and ultimately as he has had the time to get his orientation into the league and get his NHL legs, so I think time is running out.

Oduya is signed for this year and next year at only $600k so I think he will have some more time to improve. I am not ready to give up on him yet, he is still young enough to correct his turnover habit, and to be fair, he is effective as a third paring defenseman in most games. I want to see how he finishes this year out before I really form an opinion on him, he still has 3/4 of the year left to show us something.

One thing I noticed is that Odelein does not get much love around these parts lol. It's been 10 years now since he joined the Devils but was he really that bad? Maybe he was, I don't know, but I just don't remember him being as bad as he is being made out to be.

As for Oduya, he is an interesting case. The guy has some skill. He moves the puck fairly well and he is a good skater and could possibly have a decent shot with a little work I suppose. It just seems like he isn't "getting it" yet. Sometimes it takes a little longer for some players but if he cuts down on the mental mistakes I think he could be a pretty good third pairing guy.

He just needs to play more steady and be a little more consistent. It's tough because with the way the team is constructed, the team can't afford to many mistakes. He is still gaining experience but at the same time he is also being depended on so every mistake he makes is more noticeable.

For now he is one of our own, so here is hoping for the best but I agree that he is definitely running out of time to show he can wing it with the big boys.

One thing I noticed is that Odelein does not get much love around these parts lol. It's been 10 years now since he joined the Devils but was he really that bad? Maybe he was, I don't know, but I just don't remember him being as bad as he is being made out to be.

He wasn't that bad. He was worse.

Imagine Johnny Oduya, only with no skating ability whatsoever, and an insistence at rushing the puck up the ice. Now throw in a ton of bad penalties, and his complete ineptitude as a power play QB, and you have Lyle Odelein. It is absolutely mind-boggling that this guy was a Devil for almost 4 seasons - and less-mindboggling that the Devils won 1 playoff round with him in the lineup.

He wasn't that bad. He was worse.

Imagine Johnny Oduya, only with no skating ability whatsoever, and an insistence at rushing the puck up the ice. Now throw in a ton of bad penalties, and his complete ineptitude as a power play QB, and you have Lyle Odelein. It is absolutely mind-boggling that this guy was a Devil for almost 4 seasons - and less-mindboggling that the Devils won 1 playoff round with him in the lineup.

And you forgot his proficiency at shooting the puck in our own net as well as a resemblance to Cornelius.

SLOWDELEIN

Memories being short, doesn't anyone remember how Neids gave up one of these every period?

You are right, every time I think of Oduya I think of Neids. Or, more exactly, how much our defense has suffered since he left since we have to resort to guys like Oduya playing Neids like minutes.