Patrik Elias' Thoughts About Zdeno Chara Tonight

Devilsdude530

There is the Elias we all love! Awesome stuff, I would love to see a fight next time they play the Bruins. That scrum afterwards was exciting but it would have been great if it was a 6 on 6 brawl.

Gionta and Chara have had so many run ins in scrums dating back to Chara's days in Ottawa. I always found it comical because of the height difference but it seems like the Devils have had enough.

Patty seems to have had a chip on his shoulder for the last few weeks, and it's great. I didn't even mind the loss so much, since it was so refreshing seeing guys like Elias, Langs, Parise, etc standing up for each other.

Gio is a fiery guy. He had his gloves off during that scrum, and he didn't seem to care how big Chara was. I usually look forward to their battles against each other, but after this game, i checked the sched to see when they played again. And i was saddened to see not till April.

...well, there would be no one in the NHL for him to pick on.

Meh...while I appreciate Elias sticking up for his 'mates, and I do, the Gionta-Chara battle has been going on for years, since Chara was in Ottawa. There is something about Gionta that seems to make Chara nuts. Maybe it's the fact the Gionta, at 5'7" (well, listed, since people who have met him say he's more like 5'5") actually ran him over last night. In any case, the only thing I wasn't particularly thrilled about in the ensuing scrum (besides NJ not scoring) was that Chara seemed to swing his stick at Gionta's head. Good thing he has bad aim, or can't reach that low.

But, the idea of bigger guys not being able to hit smaller guys is something that has been brought up on other forums this year, particularly (and, I know you don't like to have them brought up, but it is relevant here) by Ranger fans any time Prucha is touched by the opposing team. I actually USE the Chara-Gionta match-up as an antidote to their desire to see Prucha protected because, lets face it, Gionta takes the punishment, doesn't complain and gets back up. In fact, he goes back after Chara legally (instead of trying to use his stick to cross-check him in the head, then again, I'm not sure Brian could reach), and often gets the better of Zdeno.

My point here is that, yes, Chara could pick on guys closer to his own size. But that wouldn't be hockey. Anyone is fair game. And should continue to be. And, I'm sorry, but there is something about the Chara-Gionta match-up that just cracks me up.

Edit: Re-reading the context of the quote (which wasn't in the teaser printed), I see Elias' point more. He wasn't angry at Chara for what happened during the scrum at the end of the game, but for going after Gionta again after the game was over. I appreciate his point more, but I still think (a) there is something about Gionta that just makes Chara nuts and (b) I'm not going to say that you're not allowed to do it because of the size disparity, going after players after the end of the game, in any case, has always seemed a little ridiculous to me.

Edited by SueNJ97

I love how mad Patty was... did anyone see that he dropped his gloves and was ready to go? So did Langs! Frustrating that we didn't win, but it's good to see the boys aren't being pushed around anymore.

What the heck are you talking about? Elias has never been a brassy chippy guy - he's been a hard working talented guy who got the job done -- you never really knew what he was thinking half the time. Just this year he's been mouthing off some --- the way he's been playing I don't know if the guy who says "fvck'im" is the guy I love :noclue:

I'm not taking pot shots at all you guys but seriously... what is WITH this board? All you young guys are just so off the mark so often it blows my mind! you guys all love hockey please don't get me wrong but sometimes... oh hell i admit it ALL THE FREAKING TIME I have no fvcking idea what game you all are watching what team you've been following -- :blink: I just read this board these days going WTF??? i can't even type comments -- I'm speechless most of the time. Do you all get NORMAL during playoffs?