Interesting Comments from TG

msweet

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2008/11...ils-1.html#more

**Playing Sheldon Brookbank with Patrik Elias and Brian Gionta in the third period Satuday was not one of Brent Sutter's finest moments as a coach. I know he had limited options with Dainius Zubrus weakened by a stomach bug, but there were other things he could have done. As I said at the time, I would have put Zach Parise up with Elias (at center) and Gionta and taken my chances that way. He could have put someone else (possibly) Mike Rupp with Travis Zajac and Jamie Langenbrunner and cobbled togehter a third line.

**One thing is clear: Sutter does not believe Petr Vrana can play quality minutes in the NHL. That Sutter continued to play Barry Tallackson (he even used him with Elias and Gionta in the third period after the failed Brookbank experiment) after his second period blunder on Crosby's second goal, showed that he has more trust in Tallackson than Vrana, who played only four shifts for 1:38 Saturday. That Brookbank also played with Elias and Gionta over Vrana also says a lot.

I don't know what the answer is with Vrana. He has not played well in his own end. At some point, Sutter might have to give him a chance to do more, though.

**I've understood Sutter's use of Brookbank, a defenseman, as right wing on the fourth line and it's actually worked out well for the most part, but on a night like Saturday when Zubrus is ill, the Devils need to call up another forward and dress him in case Zubrus can't play the full game (which is how it turned out). The Devils had all day Saturday to make a move and always say that Lowell is not that far away. They can't have a situation where Sutter has to turn to Brookbank to play in an offensive role in a game in which the team is trailing by two goals, but still in position to come back and win the game.

**Playing Sheldon Brookbank with Patrik Elias and Brian Gionta in the third period Satuday was not one of Brent Sutter's finest moments as a coach. I know he had limited options with Dainius Zubrus weakened by a stomach bug, but there were other things he could have done. As I said at the time, I would have put Zach Parise up with Elias (at center) and Gionta and taken my chances that way. He could have put someone else (possibly) Mike Rupp with Travis Zajac and Jamie Langenbrunner and cobbled togehter a third line.

**One thing is clear: Sutter does not believe Petr Vrana can play quality minutes in the NHL. That Sutter continued to play Barry Tallackson (he even used him with Elias and Gionta in the third period after the failed Brookbank experiment) after his second period blunder on Crosby's second goal, showed that he has more trust in Tallackson than Vrana, who played only four shifts for 1:38 Saturday. That Brookbank also played with Elias and Gionta over Vrana also says a lot.

I don't know what the answer is with Vrana. He has not played well in his own end. At some point, Sutter might have to give him a chance to do more, though.

**I've understood Sutter's use of Brookbank, a defenseman, as right wing on the fourth line and it's actually worked out well for the most part, but on a night like Saturday when Zubrus is ill, the Devils need to call up another forward and dress him in case Zubrus can't play the full game (which is how it turned out). The Devils had all day Saturday to make a move and always say that Lowell is not that far away. They can't have a situation where Sutter has to turn to Brookbank to play in an offensive role in a game in which the team is trailing by two goals, but still in position to come back and win the game.

I think someone posted this in the game thread.... but I agree with TG's comments. Good to see someone so close to the team say some things about the coaching so it's not just us.

It's funny, as I watched the game on DVR (that's why I missed the game thread) I was thinking how Sutter continually gets out coached or out coached himself.

TG was thinking along the same lines.

Amazing the Devils record then...the team lacks talent, decimated with injuries, doesn't have the goalie who was getting all the credit, and the coach can't coach....yet they win, how does that happen?

The first was one shift so I'm not going to get crazy over it. Sutter appeared to be getting a guy who would bang like Zubrus on the line to keep all the roles in tact, and they created some good chances to boot.

The second doesn't seem like poor coaching as I've at least seen Tallackson have some decent NHL games as opposed to Vrana at this point.

The third is Lou's problem, although I assume they thought Zubrus was going to be fine and it turned out the team was wrong.

I think someone posted this in the game thread.... but I agree with TG's comments. Good to see someone so close to the team say some things about the coaching so it's not just us.

Coaching? IT"S COMMON SENSE! you're losing by 2 goals with 10 minutes left-so you put out 2 slugs , one of whom

isn't even really a forward, instead of a guy with speed and skill??? Who cares about Vrana's defense at this point?

YOUR ALREADY LOSING -EINSTEIN-it can't get any worse.

Vrana must be thinking-wow, there's no way I'm ever playing for NJ if this guys' coaching.

hahah. you guys are such idiots. we dont hear a lick about sutter through the five game win streak, but low and behold, we lose one, and the anit-sutter wagon is full again.

We are missing our best checker, our best power forward (zubrus very limited), our top center and our top goalie, against arguably one of the best on-paper teams in the east. in all honesty, there are too many selfish players on this team like elias and gionta to form any chemistry anyway. so why not put brookbank out there, edleast he plays a role similiar to zubrus.

And the common sense comment. come on buddy, u sit at ur computer all day. this guy has been in the NHL for 18 years, and been coaching high calibre hockey for another 10. he knows his stuff. Junior hockey, world championships, nhl, its doesnt matter. its all in perspective anyway. hes managed to win close to 15 more games than he lost in the last 110 games, and with a mediocre team, id say thats pretty danm good. its called getting the most out of your players, thats what the devils system is built on. if ur not getting the most from one guy on a line, hes moving. if everybody isnt giving 100, we aint winning.

so shut up and look into the context before you rabble on using your XBOX hockey sense to judge an nhl team

Basically watched only the third period and caught that debacle of using Brookbank in place of Zubrus. Two clean shots in front of the net and Brookbank screws the pooch. Put someone with a one timer. Finally how can you pull your keeper, blow the ensuing faceoff in your offensive zone then allow that whiner get an open net goal. Soon as I saw Clemmer was pulled I thought they will give up an empty netter, the Devils are good at that.

Now if Lou continues to see bad moves by Sutter, it could be a matter of time before he gets fired.

BTW, how is Boston's Claude Julien doing Lou this season? :blink:

Yep, 1st overall in the EC at (16-4-4) on the season so far and possible (could be) coach of the year candidate. Maybe Lou should have given Julien a chance in New Jersey. Just a thought.

Coaching? IT"S COMMON SENSE! you're losing by 2 goals with 10 minutes left-so you put out 2 slugs , one of whom

isn't even really a forward, instead of a guy with speed and skill??? Who cares about Vrana's defense at this point?

YOUR ALREADY LOSING -EINSTEIN-it can't get any worse.

Vrana must be thinking-wow, there's no way I'm ever playing for NJ if this guys' coaching.

Well no sh!t. I'm just saying that we complain here day in and day out about the coaching and it is very refreshing to see a journo close to the team saying some things like that.

When I saw some of the line combos last night I freaked out and yelled at the tv. It was ridiculous. I never want to see Brookbank on the ice EVER.

It's funny, as I watched the game on DVR (that's why I missed the game thread) I was thinking how Sutter continually gets out coached or out coached himself.

TG was thinking along the same lines.

By the way you look fantastic on TV sir. I look like sh!t in my hat and jersey. I had just driven two hours so I was tired.

BTW, how is Boston's Claude Julien doing Lou this season? :blink:

Yep, 1st overall in the EC at (16-4-4) on the season so far and possible (could be) coach of the year candidate. Maybe Lou should have given Julien a chance in New Jersey. Just a thought.

Maybe if Julien had DONE SOMETHING when he got a PUCK SHOT AT HIM (or kept control of the team so it doesn't GET TO THAT).... he might still have said job :P

Sutter will be a scout for this team by end of the season (can still groom him to be the GM there from there and not damage the team more)

Maybe if Julien had DONE SOMETHING when he got a PUCK SHOT AT HIM (or kept control of the team so it doesn't GET TO THAT).... he might still have said job :P

Sutter will be a scout for this team by end of the season (can still groom him to be the GM there from there and not damage the team more)

No question Claude is a great coach but something obviously happened here in Jersey. Where did the rumours start about Madden taking a slap shot at him? Where is the proof exactly? Just curious, not denying it happened.

As for Julien. He has that Boston team rolling. Good for him. He got the short end of the stick in Montreal and New Jersey.

No question Claude is a great coach but something obviously happened here in Jersey. Where did the rumours start about Madden taking a slap shot at him? Where is the proof exactly? Just curious, not denying it happened.

As for Julien. He has that Boston team rolling. Good for him. He got the short end of the stick in Montreal and New Jersey.

I think right about after the playoff elimination... no one would say WHY Julien was fired.... or even gave a spin answer, and if you look at the context of it.... it makes sense, but like with a million other things always left to mystery... we shall NEVER know... something fishy HAD to happen though

Yeah, I think these all happen to be rumors about Madden and coach Julien. There was never anything put in writing by TG or Chere about that. Other rumors were saying that the players were not listening to him as they have done with other Devils coaches in the past. Sometimes I think this team just shuts out Sutter as well.

Julien is a good coach and it is sure showing this season in Boston. All the best to him and so far he is proving Montreal and New Jersey wrong.

Some pointed and honestly opinionated comments from TG, he must be really feeling that loss. Normally he's much more objective.

That's true. Although, he could have just been killling time at the airport, or it could be because people have been asking him for his opinion more often. He's posted his thoughts about things and turned out to be wrong. Not so different from any of us in that respect.

As for his comments, maybe the first two you can pin on Sutter, but as was mentioned, the third one was a managerial decision. TG neglected to mention when exactly Zubrus started feeling ill. If it was Sunday morning, then that does not really give them that much time (and it would not be the first time that the Devils did not call someone up from Lowell when one player was battling stomach flu).

Claude Julien. Good for him that he's doing well in Boston, but I'm happy with Sutter. And I'm not so sure that he could do any better with this injury-plagued team.

Sutter is once again making the point that ice time is earned, not given, even if Vrana is a very slightly better option on paper, he's putting out the guys he trusts. Now granted Tallackson had already made a horrible error, and I'd like to see a little more of Vrana, but Vrana's also not a right wing, and that's the wing where he'd probably be least effective.