NJ Nets in negotiations to play at the Rock

HellOnICE

Not to mention American Idol auditions, CRASHER, which I'm sure we all want ;)

Overall, there's no denying that this makes the most sense for all parties involved. The team has spent nigh on thirty years in this state, it has a fanbase that is willing to come back to it if it makes a commitment to stay, and it has a world class arena that is willing to take it, already built and with great mass transit access.

Consider the alternatives:

1. Stay in IZOD and send the local fans of the team the message that they are not wanted anymore

2. Finance a huge white elephant project of an arena in Brooklyn that is already in its fifth year on the drawing board without a spade in the dirt (note: I see the irony of me talking about a project five years on the drawing board without anything done, but fact is Newark is done now and the reality of the time didn't present the teams with another alternative) in awful economic times and an to even more split fanbase than they've got on this side of the river.

3. Move to another city where a fanbase will have to be developed out of wholecloth a modern and adequate arena may or may not be a reality already and create a whole new identity that will take time and huge amounts of money to catch on.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marv, up until this point the Nets and their management weren't even willing to admit that Newark had an arena at all. They were content to play at the IZOD until their arena was built up until two months ago. What changed? Since that time they've unofficially fired Frank Gehry essentially for being too expensive (even though his designs were the major selling point that got them as far as they got), they stopped work on the site using lawsuits that had no power to stop them as an excuse (the rumor is they ran out of money), and now they're talking to Devils management about moving in for Pre-Season. So you tell me, what does it all mean?

this is very clearly the first step to the Nets moving to Newark, which makes sense for all parties. Were I Vanderbeek I would demand that the team change its name and re-brand itself, but beggars can't be choosers. That franchise has to be hemorrhaging cash.

The move to Brooklyn is the kind of thing you do when everyone is too starry-eyed to realize 'hey wait why does Brooklyn need a basketball team when the Knicks are 25 minutes away on the subway and already have huge market share?'

i'm too lazy to go find the threads to back this up, but as I've been saying for the last three years, "I TOLD YOU SO."

The Nets will absolutely be in Newark for good within the next 3 years. The ONLY question is whether VBK will headline a group to buy them or if another party comes in and does it.

Ratner will not keep this team once Brooklyn is officially dead.

this is very clearly the first step to the Nets moving to Newark, which makes sense for all parties. Were I Vanderbeek I would demand that the team change its name and re-brand itself, but beggars can't be choosers. That franchise has to be hemorrhaging cash.

The move to Brooklyn is the kind of thing you do when everyone is too starry-eyed to realize 'hey wait why does Brooklyn need a basketball team when the Knicks are 25 minutes away on the subway and already have huge market share?'

NJ Swamp Dragons? :P

If Lou has anything to do with it, they will be like every other team and called the "Newark Devils of the NBA" :P

(guess it cuts down on the cost of a team mascot and dancer uniforms!)

i'm too lazy to go find the threads to back this up, but as I've been saying for the last three years, "I TOLD YOU SO."

The Nets will absolutely be in Newark for good within the next 3 years. The ONLY question is whether VBK will headline a group to buy them or if another party comes in and does it.

Ratner will not keep this team once Brooklyn is officially dead.

I don't want this to turn into a debate about the Devils' finances but Vanderbeek is doing what he can to keep the Devils going. There is no way that he could lead a group to buy the Nets.

It's terrible as it is anyway. Can't be much worse.

Exactly.

The ice isnt really "the best in the NHL" like they said it would be.

Make too much sense for the Nets to follow the Devils to the prudential center. The CAA/Izod is a dump. and brooklyn arena makes no sense at all to happen right now.

3. Move to another city where a fanbase will have to be developed out of wholecloth a modern and adequate arena may or may not be a reality already and create a whole new identity that will take time and huge amounts of money to catch on.

From the Newark Star Ledger:

New Jersey Nets will not play preseason games at Prudential Center next season

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/01/n...l_not_play.html

The buzz about the Nets' brief sojourn into Newark for preseason games next fall died a sudden death Tuesday night, when the team's CEO said that all negotiations with the Prudential Center have ceased.

Brett Yormark, the Nets' top executive, confirmed that he was in discussions with Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek over possibly holding three exhibition games in the new building, but that the arrangement wouldn't be feasible.

He also stressed, as always, that such a pursuit wouldn't have signaled any change in the team's commitment to move to Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn sometime in 2011.

"I'm open and willing to consider any venue for some preseason games, if it's fiscally sound and gives me an opportunity to tap into a new consumer base -- it has nothing to do with us going to Brooklyn," Yormark said in a phone conversation from Boston.

"If that means taking us out of Izod Center, I'll consider that. However, all discussions (with the Devils) are off."

Exactly.

I was thinking that or the Devils initially asked for too much, which seems less likely. As for the Devils sales team comment, they are of course partly right...but sorry the Devils don't sell their NAME to sponsors, their seat backs to companies, their left nut to Tmobile. They really think they'd make more cash in Long ISland at the Coliseum?...ha.

I was thinking that or the Devils initially asked for too much, which seems less likely. As for the Devils sales team comment, they are of course partly right...but sorry the Devils don't sell their NAME to sponsors, their seat backs to companies, their left nut to Tmobile. They really think they'd make more cash in Long ISland at the Coliseum?...ha.

Didn't Yormark come from NASCAR? That guy is all about sponsors and branding and selling naming rights, etc. He'd have the Nets playing in a high school gym, if he thought they could somehow make money off of it.

If the Devils hope to land the Nets at the Rock, he will most likely need to be out of the picture.

Didn't Yormark come from NASCAR? That guy is all about sponsors and branding and selling naming rights, etc. He'd have the Nets playing in a high school gym, if he thought they could somehow make money off of it.

If the Devils hope to land the Nets at the Rock, he will most likely need to be out of the picture.

pretty sure he will be. there's been accusations that he is looking to jump ship. and why not - who wants to be associating with a sinking ship like the new jersey nets?