Retired Numbers

koolkoreankid23

Thanks, but it was 8 on the Yanks retired for Berra and Dickey

The Knicks have 15 retired twice.

And the Leafs 'honor' numbers instead of retiring them. Only 5, 6, and 99 (league wide for Gretzky) are officially retired, but they 'honored' several numbers to multiple players...

1, 4, 7, 9, 10, and 27, in addition to 17, 21, and 93 to single players Clark, Salming, and Gilmour.

I'm not sure how I feel about 'honored' numbers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guidry, who is the 'least' of that group, had that one dominant year that Elias never did. Is that enough to say he is better? I don't know, but Patrik never had that breakout year. And while Mattingly was the Captain of the Yanks Elias had that taken from him, another intangible. Elias HOF? Another debate, I'd be interested in non Devil fans opinions on that.

Unless Elias absolutely dominates for the rest of his contract there is no way he gets HHOF. He will get discussion but will end up in the Hall of Very Good in Mississaugua.

I would like to see Niedermayer's jersey retired....and he is a UFA at the end of the season..is it possible he comes back for one more season to end his career in Jersey...yeah probably just wishful thinking on my part.

:giggle:

that.. wasn't serious, right? I love my cap'n, but he ain't jersey-retirement worthy in the slightest... :noclue:

Well, he deserves some honour. He was a big difference in the 2003 playoffs (especially the first 2 rounds and Gm 7 against the Sens) and he will remain with the organization for another 2 years if he doesn't get traded (that means he serves the Devils for 10 years if that happens). I know he is very inconsistent throught his career (one good season, one bad season trend), but there is no question that he's a hard worker.

Well, he deserves some honour. He was a big difference in the 2003 playoffs (especially the first 2 rounds and Gm 7 against the Sens) and he will remain with the organization for another 2 years if he doesn't get traded (that means he serves the Devils for 10 years if that happens). I know he is very inconsistent throught his career (one good season, one bad season trend), but there is no question that he's a hard worker.

It would be a different story if he leads the Devs to a cup or 2, but right now, I don't know if he's even the best guy to wear 15. Brylin was a hard worker, too, but he isn't getting his number retired.

The honor he gets is the C on his chest.

The Yankees and Celtics are great organizations which have used an overload of jersey retirement ceremonies as a cheap way to fill their buildings. The great Celtics teams never sold-out Boston Garden consistantly until Bird arrived and then after Bird left not until Garnett arrived so Red and the Celtics used retirement ceremonies for 2nd and 3rd-rate "good" players as an cheap attempt to fill the building. I mean Lousy? Reggie Lewis? Boston Globe columnist, and Celtics fan, Bob Ryan for years has railed about how the Celtics should have about 9 numbers retired at most.

The great storied Yankees did the same stadium-filling scheme with the Dickey, Howard, Rizzuto, Jackson, Guidry, Mattingly, and Munson retirements which all happened during the 30 dark age years between 1965-1996 (with 5 good ones in the middle) when the Yankees were dog meat, nobody was going to Yankee Stadium, and George was threatening to move to New Jersey.

I'd be all for Neidermayer's number being retired but I wonder what the crowd reaction would be when momma was introduced on the ice. That's why I don't think his retirement will be anytime soon. The only other person who deserves it would be Elias but I feel he needs to win another cup before its a slam-dunk.

i went to a game in colorado and laughed when i saw they have a ray bourque banner. that would be like us having phil housley up there. we put guys up there to honor them but the less exclusive of a club, the less honor it carries.

Completely agree with this. #30 is obviously a no-brainer, beyond that a lot of thought has to go into it. Once you let your guard down all of a sudden it's easier to let the 'close but not quite' list bleed into the banner list. Look at the Rangers; they went from very few retured numbers to 2 for 1 specials.

The Yankees and Celtics are great organizations which have used an overload of jersey retirement ceremonies as a cheap way to fill their buildings. The great Celtics teams never sold-out Boston Garden consistantly until Bird arrived and then after Bird left not until Garnett arrived so Red and the Celtics used retirement ceremonies for 2nd and 3rd-rate "good" players as an cheap attempt to fill the building. I mean Lousy? Reggie Lewis? Boston Globe columnist, and Celtics fan, Bob Ryan for years has railed about how the Celtics should have about 9 numbers retired at most.

A. It's Loscy (as in Jim Loscutoff, 7-time NBA champion) and since he was regarded as a defensive minded player and the NBA didn't start counting steals and blocks til 10+ years after he retired, I can't statistically account for his greatness or lack-there-of)

B. Reggie Lewis fvcking died so it's a little bit different.

If you wanna bitch about someone's number, bitch about #31 Cedric Maxwell.

A. It's Loscy (as in Jim Loscutoff, 7-time NBA champion) and since he was regarded as a defensive minded player and the NBA didn't start counting steals and blocks til 10+ years after he retired, I can't statistically account for his greatness or lack-there-of)

So he's the John Madden of the 60's Celtics.

Reggie Lewis fvcking died so it's a little bit different.

If you wanna bitch about someone's number, bitch about #31 Cedric Maxwell.

Reggie Lewis died of a heart condition tragically exacerbated by his coke use and a brutal Celtics team capitalized on his death to sell a few tickets. If you want to memorialize the guy with a patch that's fine but retiring his number was too much (especially after the fiasco the civil trial turned into when the longstanding rumors of his coke-use were confirmed).

Pele Lindberg also died tragically drunk driving but I don't see the Flyers going out of their way to retire his number. They memorialized the guy but that was as far as it went.

Dennis Johnson, Jo Jo White, Don Nelson, Frank Ramsay, Maxwell, Lewis, and Loscutoff have no business having their number retired by the Celtics.

This is why I don't understand the whole Brylin and/or Madden argument. Nice players yes but just because they wore the uniform a long time on the 4th line doesn't merit their number in the rafters.

If Niedermayer gets his number retired the game won't even sell out. He left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. It always felt like he was going to bolt as soon as he went UFA.

He took less money to play with his brother. He said it was tough for him to watch his brother lose even while he was winning in 2003. I can't blame him for that. Let's not get him confused with Gomez.

He took less money to play with his brother. He said it was tough for him to watch his brother lose even while he was winning in 2003. I can't blame him for that. Let's not get him confused with Gomez.

Agreed. Thank you.

Elias and maybe eventually Parise in 15 years time.

And the number 2 so no-one ever has to suffer its curse.

After Marty it will be depend upon certain factors.

Scott Niedermayer? Yes, because how do you keep a future HOF four time (three with us) Cup winning all round superb blueliner out of the rafters? Now, does he get it as soon as he retires? Doubt it. The Devils may wait for one of those "down" time periods (and we all hope they never arrive) and use it to lift the fan base, unless.........he returns to New Jersey and finishes his career as a Devil, then he would go up sooner. If the Devils were to win another Cup with Nieds returning, an absolute immediate no-brainer.

Elias? Yes, since he's on the doorstep of breaking Johnny Mac's all-time points record, has the all-time assists mark, will break Mac's all-time goals scored mark in the next two seasons (most likely) and not to mention Patty holds our playoff records for goals, assists and points. Throw in all the HUGE goals he has scored for us throughout his career, his two (and counting) Stanley Cups and the fact that he will very most likely retire as a Devil. Yes, Elias gets the rafters.

Parise? Please, way to early to even consider it, however I will say this; if Zach Parise stays healthy and plays his entire career with the Devs he will most certainly be one of those amazing wingers that come along every once in a while and will shatter all of Elias' records. Toss in a Cup (or two, or threee, or............) and it's another no-brainer. Parise is a workaholic and a very, very gifted forward.

The Devils have been blessed with some outstanding players, who although may not be so legendary that they deserve their sweaters retired, but should be showcased in some other fashion since they were so instrumental in our championship seasons. They are the Brylins, the Maddens, the Holiks, the McKays, the Claude Lemiuexs, the Colin Whites and who knows who else in the future.

What the Devils need, and so does Newark, is a nice two story sports theme restaurant downtown with one floor devoted to a New Jersey Devils Hall of Fame and they can even have an area showcasing all the Newark sports teams throughout the years. How about the old brick building across the street on Edison Place?