GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Boston Bruins 3/22/09

Devils Pride 26

i didn't even know he had a fighting major in his career. i really don't care that he doesn't fight, he's from europe and didn't grow up with it. and his penalty was terrible but at least he actually drew a penalty today.

what? sure he has. has he had a not-great year? absolutely. but today he had 4 shots on goal, if he keeps that up, he'll be scoring 2 goals every 5 games. this month he's got 35 shots in 10 games, i'll take that. to compare him to streit is simply being dishonest - compare his production instead to the range of free agents new jersey could have signed (of which streit is one) and what they all bring to the table. rolston was pretty much a chance we had to take - gambling with the much less sure thing in streit could've been a disaster. the fact that there are 29 GMs who'd probably like to have streit signed at that price doesn't necessarily make him a good signing in july 2008.

I'm not sure what you are saying sure he has to...is it to bringing things that Lou and Sutter raved about? I don't think he was a chance we had to take. The contract is a disaster. Maybe he'll step it up in the playoffs, but he is not the player I and probably many other Devils fans thought he'd be. I only mention Streit because all the talk on Rolston was a big boost to the PP and his cannon of a shot.

As for Streit, I don't think it was a bad signing in July, but you are right that 29 other GMs would have loved that one.

And Holik...I am sure you could care less if he doesn't fight, but every game someone on this board is talking about what a little bitch someone on another team is. I'm just saying, if I was a fan of another team, I'd think Holik was the biggest pansy of them all.

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you are saying sure he has to...is it to bringing things that Lou and Sutter raved about? I don't think he was a chance we had to take. The contract is a disaster. Maybe he'll step it up in the playoffs, but he is not the player I and probably many other Devils fans thought he'd be. I only mention Streit because all the talk on Rolston was a big boost to the PP and his cannon of a shot.

rolston already has stepped it up. 35 shots in 10 games is pretty outstanding - if you want to believe he will continue to maintain a 2 goals in 35 shots pace, be my guest.

As for Streit, I don't think it was a bad signing in July, but you are right that 29 other GMs would have loved that one.

you're giving a long-term contract to a player who has never shown much defensive acumen in his career and is already 30. i think i saw more than one list that had the streit signing as the worst one of the summer.

And Holik...I am sure you could care less if he doesn't fight, but every game someone on this board is talking about what a little bitch someone on another team is. I'm just saying, if I was a fan of another team, I'd think Holik was the biggest pansy of them all.

holik's made no secret of the fact that he doesn't fight. and given most of the guys he'd be fighting, i think they should be fine with the fact that he doesn't drop the gloves since he has a height and weight advantage on almost all of them.

On the topic of Holik, why does he have to fight? He plays physical and hits people and sticks up for teammates... he doesn't run his yap like Avery or Steve Ott or chumps like that. I honestly think thats an apples to oranges comparison by whoever had originally made it.

All I am saying is that I would hate Holik as a fan of another team especially because he doesn't drop them. And your description of Holik is all true, but that isn't his real game. That could be a description of dozens of players in this league, but Holik is an agitator, a pain in the ass. After the whistle he'll hit you for no reason. He'll give you a punch when you aren't looking, similiar to what he did today. He'll slash you, bump your goalie, fall on you and just sit there. He does a lot of similar things that people we hate do in this league. The only difference is that I think Holik is the only agitator in the league who doesn't drop the gloves.

And like some people say about Avery, he might take more penalties than he draws. Yes he plays a physical game, but lets not pretend he isn't what he is.

All I am saying is that I would hate Holik as a fan of another team especially because he doesn't drop them. And your description of Holik is all true, but that isn't his real game. That could be a description of dozens of players in this league, but Holik is an agitator, a pain in the ass. After the whistle he'll hit you for no reason. He'll give you a punch when you aren't looking, similiar to what he did today. He'll slash you, bump your goalie, fall on you and just sit there. He does a lot of similar things that people we hate do in this league. The only difference is that I think Holik is the only agitator in the league who doesn't drop the gloves.

And like some people say about Avery, he might take more penalties than he draws. Yes he plays a physical game, but lets not pretend he isn't what he is.

yeah and holik is what 6'4" 230? the only guys who are going to be fighting him are of the cote/godard/ivanans ilk. i'm sure guys 30 pounds lighter than him would love to take him on.

the best agitators only fight when it serves them to do so. holik is the same - it never serves him to fight, so he doesn't do it.

as for leach, HOI, i think greene is better than leach overall, i don't think it makes any sense to play him.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the ice was terrible, the puck was bouncing all over the place. Maybe there was a concert there last night or the Celtics played ?

For the suggestion that Tim "lucky" Thomas is as good as Brodeur "when he's on" is absurd, on any other day he would have been lit up for six or more. the Devils just didn't get enough traffic in front of him. The Bruins are a classic trapping team, they collapse every time they are under pressure in their own zone, and Tim Thomas is like a poor man's Hasek, squirming all over the place with no particular style, he was lucky more than good today. He is lucky more than good period.

The goals conceded today were IMO half and half, the first goal was unlucky on Martin = lucky for Recchi, speaking of, I've never seen Recchi score from more than five feet away from the goalcrease.

The second goal was unlucky for Marty, it hit his stick then went between his legs, a bit of a backbreaker so early in the second. The third goal again was off of a deflected pass, and the fourth goal again was fortunate, Just my opinion.

The real issue today was what SD brought up, our special teams, the PK was sloppy, but the Bruins got the breaks, our PP was impotent, we couldn't "set-up" in their zone. the passing wasn't crisp enough and we didn't move the puck around quick enough to make the extra man count.

I still stand by what I think about the Bruins, they clutch and grab and they hit late, they are dirty. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing to be afraid of in the Bruins, it's a smoke and mirrors show.

The officiating was pretty good today, it's only fair to note this because I'm one of the first to dog on the refs when they have a poor game.

It'll be interesting to see how we bounce back against the Flyers, normally we don't have two stinkers in a row but with White most likely to be out this game is tougher than it would be, always a hard place to win in Philly.

Even though the Flyers went to the Mellon and won, they weren't overly good. They did enough to beat the Pens which with the performance the Pens put on wasn't a whole lot, but is was sufficient to get the win. Pittsburgh played poorly.

Your wrong about Thomas, but you aren't alone in that assessment. The dude is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL. His strange style has held is career back for years, and even now after two straight all-star appearances, and being arguably the best goalie in the league this year, he still gets sh!tted on.

He might have a few bad hiccups, but for the most part he has been outstanding. The guy has the quickest reflexes in the game that I have seen.

Although nicknaming him "Lucky" and saying he'd be lit up by 6 or more on any other day when he leads the league in GAA and save percentage is just plain stupid.

Your wrong about Thomas, but you aren't alone in that assessment. The dude is the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL. His strange style has held is career back for years, and even now after two straight all-star appearances, and being arguably the best goalie in the league this year, he still gets sh!tted on.

He might have a few bad hiccups, but for the most part he has been outstanding. The guy has the quickest reflexes in the game that I have seen.

Although nicknaming him "Lucky" and saying he'd be lit up by 6 or more on any other day when he leads the league in GAA and save percentage is just plain stupid.

I disagree, there is a reason why his style has held him back, it's not good enough, Thomas uses a poor technique.

All star appearences IMO are poor guage of a players' ability, it's more of a popularity vote. (look how many Habs were voted in)

GAA and SV% again IMO is a bad gauge, wins and shutouts count. Kipprusoff is the best goalie in the NHL and he should get the Vezina.

I'm not saying he's crap, he serviceable. I just don't think he'a as good as you think he is. The real test is coming up, playoffs, there IMO he'll be exposed, like so many pretenders have in the past. Lundqvist-Miller-Turco-Luongo etc.

I agree, MB in all seriousness dude I remember I made an "anger" post like that after a bad Mets loss (IIRC it was like "wow another blown game, this team is not winning the division.." which is comparable to your post just now about getting demolished by Boston in a 7-game series) and you called me a "fairweather fan" ..

Sorry MB, but I'm going to have to say...

Game. Set. Match.

:hi:

I disagree, there is a reason why his style has held him back, it's not good enough, Thomas uses a poor technique.

All star appearences IMO are poor guage of a players' ability, it's more of a popularity vote. (look how many Habs were voted in)

GAA and SV% again IMO is a bad gauge, wins and shutouts count. Kipprusoff is the best goalie in the NHL and he should get the Vezina.

I'm not saying he's crap, he serviceable. I just don't think he'a as good as you think he is. The real test is coming up, playoffs, there IMO he'll be exposed, like so many pretenders have in the past. Lundqvist-Miller-Turco-Luongo etc.

His style held him back because so called hockey experts don't like something different. They love the typical butterfly style. What is your reaosn that Hasek's career started so late.

Thomas was never voted in to the game. He was selected because he has been a top goalie in the East, the past few years. It is as simple as that.

At least you are being consistent with your posts since you said Brodeur should have won ten Vezinas when he always had great wins and shutout numbers but never great save percentage numbers, which Hasek had. And Mikka Kipprusoff does not even deserve a nomination this year, although he might anyway. He has a GAA of 2.85, which is good enough for 32nd in the league. Calgary has the 6th worst GAA this season. And Thomas and Kipper have the same amount of shutouts anyway.

if white's a go for philthy, i'd like to see mottau take a time out and give greene a chance to show his game...

he may be starting to turn the corner, and he is skilled.

they definately need some healthy competition for that 6th spot, especially going into the post season...and mottau has been taking some bad penalties lately.

if white's a go for philthy, i'd like to see mottau take a time out and give greene a chance to show his game...

he may be starting to turn the corner, and he is skilled.

they definately need some healthy competition for that 6th spot, especially going into the post season...and mottau has been taking some bad penalties lately.

This close to the playoffs I REALLY wanted this game to be a win. A 4-1 loss just about a month out from the playoffs to the #1 team in the east hurts BUT... if I look on the bright side its a season split with a 1-0 victory in one of our games as well so if we do meet in the playoffs it should be tight. I'd say no less than 6.

OK, first things first...

Martysb3tt3r...slow, deep breaths. Find a happy place. Then some more deep breaths. I know yesterday was frustrating and you were posting out of anger, but don't fall into that trap that too many Devils fans fall into: letting one loss somehow turn into a indictment of the team's desire, ability, style of play, coaching, etc. (I made this mistake in Game 3 of this season...after they lost to the Rangers I called this team the "same old Devils" and "pretenders", so I'm not entirely immune to losing it either.) They're still in good shape, and yesterday was only really upsetting if you had your heart set on catching the Bruins. I never really cared much about that myself. As for the Flyers...even if the Devils don't care of business against them tonight, it's still going to be a tough climb for the Flyers.

As for the game...a couple of bad bounces and a not-so-great game by Marty (since coming back, the guy had a .940 save% going into this game, so how anyone could start ripping him is lost on me...but that's njdevs.com for you). I was hopeful until I saw Zach not convert at the side of the net. From then on the game had a "not their day" kind of feel. They really weren't as bad as the score indicated, even though I can't say they didn't deserve to lose.

Boston is a very good team.... in a 20 game series vs the Devils it would be split pretty close to 10-10

They were better and luckier.

That is what competition is about

They'll be a tough 7 game series. They are built for playoff hockey.

If we are to beat them in a 7 game series we will have to overcome Chara

sometimes i think people around here just make sh!t up that's totally unreasonable. how in the world can you discount save percentage and believe in something so amazingly stupid as goalie wins?

sometimes i think people around here just make sh!t up that's totally unreasonable. how in the world can you discount save percentage and believe in something so amazingly stupid as goalie wins?

Because save % does not win games ?

P--W---S%-GAA

Goalie A 70-45-.902--2.34

Goalie B 70-35-.927--1.97

Would you give the Vezina to goalie B because his save % and GAA is better than goalie A ?

Boston is a very good team.... in a 20 game series vs the Devils it would be split pretty close to 10-10

The were better and luckier.

I agree 100% with everything you just said, and predict that the Devils WILL see Boston in the Eastern Conference finals. If they play Montreal in the first round, there will be no Montreal jinx for Boston; they will KILL that team. They'll kill the Rangers, too.

A Ranger fan on another forum called the East "wide open." I don't think so. Not for them.

The were better and luckier.

We proved that in 2003 and the Leafs proved that several times as well.

P--W---S%-GAA

Would you give the Vezina to goalie B because his save % and GAA is better than goalie A ?

yes, because he was the better goalie. goalie A is not very good at all - he has a league average or worse save %. save % does win games - how can you make such a monstrously silly claim like save % doesn't win games?

P--W---S%-GAA

Seriously, making a case that GAA and save percentage mean nothing is just as stupid as saying ERA doesn't matter for a baseball starting pitcher when it's the main indicator of how good they are.

Look at Chris Osgood and Chris Mason's numbers this year (or Nicklas Backstrom) and I defy you to make the case that Osgood's a better goalie just because he's got a better winning percentage :P