MADDEN IN DEVILS' LIMBO

Maddog

I want Madden back because he can still be a useful checking center. However I'm not going to waste money on him if he wants to much.

I have a feeling that's what Lou is thinking, too. He wants him back, but at a limit. Problem is, there are plenty of teams who will throw him more than he's worth. I only expect one of Madden, Gio, and Oduya back. I'm thinking Gio, because Oduya's agent seems to be looking for Paul Martin money.

I have a feeling both Lou and Madden think another team will pay Madden more than the Devils are willing to offer.

That would be good news for the Devils because

a) Madden will not generate enough offense for that team

b) killing more cap space for that team

I have a feeling both Lou and Madden think another team will pay Madden more than the Devils are willing to offer.

Totally agreed. Some team will do it. Maybe a younger team that will need his leadership.

This is definitley fine with me.

I'd like to see him center Clarkson and Halischuk.

Totally agreed. Some team will do it. Maybe a younger team that will need his leadership.

This is definitley fine with me.

Madden would be a great leader on some young team, but i would still feel funny seeing him in any other jersey

I love Madden and everything he did for the Devils but I feel it is time to part ways. Its not that I don't mind him coming back on a 1-2 year deal for cheap but I worry that his return would still give him more playing time than guys like Elias and Parise as we saw in this year's playoffs. I also worry that his return would keep up the line matching game - I felt the Devils were at their best when they would just roll lines out there and not worry about match ups.

Honestly, as others stated earlier in this thread, I think Lou and Madden both think he can get more money than what the Devils offer. I doubt he is coming back.

I love Madden and everything he did for the Devils but I feel it is time to part ways. Its not that I don't mind him coming back on a 1-2 year deal for cheap but I worry that his return would still give him more playing time than guys like Elias and Parise as we saw in this year's playoffs. I also worry that his return would keep up the line matching game - I felt the Devils were at their best when they would just roll lines out there and not worry about match ups.

Honestly, as others stated earlier in this thread, I think Lou and Madden both think he can get more money than what the Devils offer. I doubt he is coming back.

And for the exact reasons you mentioned in your post, I hope he doesn't.

John has one more chance to cash in with a contract then its off to selling used cars (not that there is anything wrong with that) so if he wants to sign for 2 or 3 years somewhere else for a couple of million more I wouldn't be mad at him at all. I hope Lou doesn't match the best offer because I think it will be too high and with Rolston (perhaps) on the decline with a big number around our cap neck we don't need to be saddled with 2 bloated contracts for players past their prime.

That being said, loved him while he was here should he choose to go elsewhere.

John has one more chance to cash in with a contract then its off to selling used cars (not that there is anything wrong with that) so if he wants to sign for 2 or 3 years somewhere else for a couple of million more I wouldn't be mad at him at all. I hope Lou doesn't match the best offer because I think it will be too high and with Rolston (perhaps) on the decline with a big number around our cap neck we don't need to be saddled with 2 bloated contracts for players past their prime.

That being said, loved him while he was here should he choose to go elsewhere.

That's the thing. You got Martin, Clarkson and Bergfors due for raises next year, plus Halischuk and Parise the year after, and all that on a possibly lower cap. I really think Madden is gone.