Brent Sutter says 'I'm not a quitter'

Rock

he quit and the method in which he did it upsets me. i'm glad that he's not back because everyone knew his heart wasn't in it and you can't have a coach like that.

the idea that he made the decision yesterday seems disingenuous also - i mean he had to be thinking this route for a good portion of this year - proof that when there's smoke, there's fire in the media sometimes after all. family is of course, the most important thing. but today is no different than two years ago. if it was that important, say no 2 years ago instead of taking the devils $.

i think this is a little unfair - i don't really think it's about family so much as it is about seeing what he's built go to seed in red deer while he's alone in new jersey. there was actually a great peter king MMQB anecdote about him seeing brent sutter walking along a street in montclair looking frazzled and out of place - it's from last season and i'm not going to find it, but there was obviously a fish out of water aspect to sutter being here. i have to admit i didn't think this would happen, though.

he also sounds like the mayor of red deer with the "come here and you'll see what you're missing."

also - while it might not be this year, he's definitely going to coach one of those western teams if they want him. i actually hope it IS this year so the devils get some sort of compensation.

don't be so sure about that. first of all, lou probably lets him out of the deal without compensation or with very minimal compensation. i think he'll return to the nhl eventually but i can't see him staying out of red deer this season.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this is a little unfair - i don't really think it's about family so much as it is about seeing what he's built go to seed in red deer while he's alone in new jersey. there was actually a great peter king MMQB anecdote about him seeing brent sutter walking along a street in montclair looking frazzled and out of place - it's from last season and i'm not going to find it, but there was obviously a fish out of water aspect to sutter being here. i have to admit i didn't think this would happen, though.

don't be so sure about that. first of all, lou probably lets him out of the deal without compensation or with very minimal compensation. i think he'll return to the nhl eventually but i can't see him staying out of red deer this season.

i remember the peter king blog thing. i've also heard from others that he was a loner and always seemed miserable - he certainly was the two times i met him.

still - you have to know what you are going in. the thing is, i think sutter did have an idea and that's why he and lou had this understanding. that being said, it really should be on lou that that this happened. when you have to wait two years and throw a dump truck of money at a guy to say, "ok i'll see how it works out and come coach your team", then you should find someone else. (i'm envisioning charlie donovan calling lou brown and asking him to coach the indians).

as for lou letting him go without compensation, i think if he were to do that, he let the "gentleman's agreement" go too far. lou said in the conf. call today that the devils would be owed compensation. i'm not saying he's asking for scott stevens but he'll get a 3rd out of it.

if edmonton or calgary gives him enough, he'll coach there. he's got enough ego to think he can run red deer and coach an NHL team. and enough people think he's a good enough coach that he will take a team over the top. that's not to dismiss what he did with the devils these past two years.

i need to see who lou picks to have closure on this. if it's lemaire or maclean or lou himself, well then i'll be pissed because the devils are again left without a chair because sutter took his time on this.

still - you have to know what you are going in. the thing is, i think sutter did have an idea and that's why he and lou had this understanding. that being said, it really should be on lou that that this happened. when you have to wait two years and throw a dump truck of money at a guy to say, "ok i'll see how it works out and come coach your team", then you should find someone else. (i'm envisioning charlie donovan calling lou brown and asking him to coach the indians).

i think it's entirely possible that sutter didn't understand what being without his family and his junior team would mean, especially when his junior team has been so terribly run in his absence. hockey's all those people have in cities like red deer, you have to imagine that sutter was a huge part of that community and that he still has a ton of ties there.

if edmonton or calgary gives him enough, he'll coach there. he's got enough ego to think he can run red deer and coach an NHL team. and enough people think he's a good enough coach that he will take a team over the top. that's not to dismiss what he did with the devils these past two years.

i don't think any team will hire him as a coach if he still has responsibilities in red deer beyond simply owning the team. edmonton already hired their coaches for next year. i don't think it's about money, either, sutter has his ranch and a junior team and i'm sure he's still worth plenty of money. what does money buy you in red deer, alberta, anyway?

i need to see who lou picks to have closure on this. if it's lemaire or maclean or lou himself, well then i'll be pissed because the devils are again left without a chair because sutter took his time on this.

'left without a chair?' pat quinn and jacques martin do resemble furniture, i'll grant you, but i don't think any of the coaches that have been hired are guys the devils would've been interested in.

Edited by Triumph

the idea that he made the decision yesterday seems disingenuous also - i mean he had to be thinking this route for a good portion of this year - proof that when there's smoke, there's fire in the media sometimes after all. family is of course, the most important thing. but today is no different than two years ago. if it was that important, say no 2 years ago instead of taking the devils $.

Good point. He, more than anyone should have known what he was getting into family wise. He only played in the NHL for 15 years and had five brothers who played as well. It's not like he was some hick out of the backwoods of Canada who had no clue about NHL life. That's why I have no sympathy for him.

If he said it was about the junior team, alright, fine. But this "you gotta fly out here and see it" bullsh!t is just that. Bullsh!t. It sounds like he holed up in Montclair on all of his off days to be that ignorant about the area. He was 30-35 minutes up 280 from having that East Jabib lifestyle he seems to like.

i think it's entirely possible that sutter didn't understand what being without his family and his junior team would mean, especially when his junior team has been so terribly run in his absence. hockey's all those people have in cities like red deer, you have to imagine that sutter was a huge part of that community and that he still has a ton of ties there.

i don't think any team will hire him as a coach if he still has responsibilities in red deer beyond simply owning the team. edmonton already hired their coaches for next year. i don't think it's about money, either, sutter has his ranch and a junior team and i'm sure he's still worth plenty of money. what does money buy you in red deer, alberta, anyway?

'left without a chair?' pat quinn and jacques martin do resemble furniture, i'll grant you, but i don't think any of the coaches that have been hired are guys the devils would've been interested in.

If he DOESN"T -- he's a complete and utter moron... seriously you make him sound more and more imbecilic with your "defence" is that your aim? It's cool if it is... I do that - make him out to seem a bigger and bigger jackass the kinder I am.

Seriously though -- the man toured the country playing professional hockey -- the man lived on Long Island -- he knew what he was getting into. He just didn't realize somewhere along the line he got old. He's an old fart and likes it that way. He's lost his competitive edge and has ZERO desire to hone it any further than his own back yard. No he will NOT be going into coaching -- unless it's for his brother. He loved his own little fiefdom and got excited when it got on the map and thought maybe he;d like to play with the big boys. But the big boys were meaner, flashier, smarter and wanted it more so he;s going home. It IS THAT SIMPLE. Unless his mom or in-laws have cancer or something. If it's anything other than that he's just --- just not moved by hockey the way he used to be. Small potatoes is what he wants and there is no shame in that. :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Isn't Calgary only 90 miles away or so from Red Deer? Thats really the only place I can see him ending up if he wants back into the NHL.

Bah, this whole "quitter" talk is ridiculous. Since when has the length of a coach's contract ever meant anything? Has a coach ever worked the exact length of a contract? In any sport? Ever? It seems like coaches always are either fired or step down before the contract itself expires. This is just more of the same.

If he DOESN"T -- he's a complete and utter moron... seriously you make him sound more and more imbecilic with your "defence" is that your aim? It's cool if it is... I do that - make him out to seem a bigger and bigger jackass the kinder I am.

Seriously though -- the man toured the country playing professional hockey -- the man lived on Long Island -- he knew what he was getting into. He just didn't realize somewhere along the line he got old. He's an old fart and likes it that way. He's lost his competitive edge and has ZERO desire to hone it any further than his own back yard. No he will NOT be going into coaching -- unless it's for his brother. He loved his own little fiefdom and got excited when it got on the map and thought maybe he;d like to play with the big boys. But the big boys were meaner, flashier, smarter and wanted it more so he;s going home. It IS THAT SIMPLE. Unless his mom or in-laws have cancer or something. If it's anything other than that he's just --- just not moved by hockey the way he used to be. Small potatoes is what he wants and there is no shame in that. :noclue:

i certainly don't think brent sutter is particularly bright, if that's what you're asking.

Bah, this whole "quitter" talk is ridiculous. Since when has the length of a coach's contract ever meant anything? Has a coach ever worked the exact length of a contract? In any sport? Ever? It seems like coaches always are either fired or step down before the contract itself expires. This is just more of the same.

Finally, a voice of reason. :koolaid:

Because in NJ as a coach you don't quit before you contract is up, you get fired :P

I don't care that he left, I care about the drama train he boarded and circled the team with for no reason. Good luck, good bye, good riddance.

I don't care that he left, I care about the drama train he boarded and circled the team with for no reason. Good luck, good bye, good riddance.

That's fair enough.

I'm not gonna get angry with the guy. He announced that he's stepping down early enough that there are still plenty of good replacement candidates available. Niedermayer didn't give us that courtesy. And he changed the philosophy of the team in a good way, if only for the majority of one regular season. The last coach who really drastically changed anything in New Jersey was Jacques Lemaire, and that set us up for a good decade of success. I can only hope that Lou makes his next coaching hire with the same forward-thinking frame of mind that he hired Sutter with.

Would anyone care if he left after winning the Cup? I doubt it...

And this wasn't about quitting because he didn't think he could get the job done or the most out of his players. It was about family and his life at home. Did anyone call Larry a quitter when he couldn't even finish half a season?

Maybe....plus he'd still be coaching right now.... :P and not home now.

And this wasn't about quitting because he didn't think he could get the job done or the most out of his players. It was about family and his life at home. Did anyone call Larry a quitter when he couldn't even finish half a season?

yea probably; someone called larry a quitter then...

Oh please, this is so different it's hardly worth arguing. Sutter quit because he'd rather manage Red Deer than coach the Devils. Larry quit because he cared too much and had physical issues because of it. Plus he was dragged in to coach out of loyalty to Lou because Burns had a relapse.

And it's different from the Nieds thing too, the Nieds thing gets so overrated. He waited three freaking days. He wanted the Ducks to make a commitment to his brother, that's what he was waiting for. Plus his contract was over when he left and he did a lot for the Devils. He didn't come here for two years and leave when he couldn't hack it.

Edited by Hasan4978

I gotta say a big FU to those calling the guy a quitter.

Although I'm not pleased with the way it wen down in the last months, part of me believes that might have been a smokesreen to buy time for Lou to get a plan together.

Fact is, if he goes directly to CAL, I'll believe he's a traitor.

If not, he did what he did for his family, maybe even to save his marriage as someone said. Like a real man.

If this was a decision by King Scott Stevens people here would be lauding it (including you PK) like he was "humanitarian of the year".

Then again there are a lot of young single dudes on this board that probably don't have that kind of perspective yet.

Was Doc Emerick a "quitter" when he leaves to go do broadcasts for Vs. or NBC, or when his Dad passed away?

So for now I've got to say "get over it people". Stop being selfish and respect the guys value of family. There's a bigger world out there than JUST NJ hockey.

What iff it was your Dad or your marriage?

Although I'm not pleased with the way it wen down in the last months, part of me believes that might have been a smokesreen to buy time for Lou to get a plan together.

If not, he did what he did for his family, maybe even to save his marriage as someone said. Like a real man.

If this was a decision by King Scott Stevens people here would be lauding it (including you PK) like he was "humanitarian of the year".

Then again there are a lot of young single dudes on this board that probably don't have that kind of perspective yet.

Was Doc Emerick a "quitter" when he leaves to go do broadcasts for Vs. or NBC, or when his Dad passed away?

So for now I've got to say "get over it people". Stop being selfish and respect the guys value of family. There's a bigger world out there than JUST NJ hockey.

If that stuff were the case, and I think you are reaching, I would say "i'm a quitter, and I have more important things to worry about".

Still a quitter though.

And don't even try to compare 2 years of service of Sutter to the decade of loyalty Doc has given to this team. an NHL coach is the most premier position you can have in a coaching profession, being a local play by play is not the most premier position you can have as a broad caster. And he didn't even leave the Devils!

What he said!

If that stuff were the case, and I think you are reaching, I would say "i'm a quitter, and I have more important things to worry about".

Still a quitter though.

And don't even try to compare 2 years of service of Sutter to the decade of loyalty Doc has given to this team. an NHL coach is the most premier position you can have in a coaching profession, being a local play by play is not the most premier position you can have as a broad caster. And he didn't even leave the Devils!

So if your marriage or child's mental/physical health was in possible jeopardy it wouldn't matter?

All THAT MATTERS in the NJ Devils?

Selfish much?

Didn't you ever learn not to judge someone - especially when you have like 10% of the whole story?

Or is he obligated to disclose personal matters of his marriage and family because he's in a "premier position in the NHL"?

I guess Pat Burns is a quitter too regardless of his issues?

First of all the whole marriage thing is total speculation, there's nothing to substantiate anything of that nature.

Secondly, why did he leave in the first place if being away from home was such an issue? He more than anyone should have known the price he'd have to pay coaching 3000 miles away, he played most of his career 3000 miles away from his family. I don't want to say he did it for the money per se but you could make that argument.

The Doc thing is totally different, he's under contract to work for VS and NBC - sometimes national games conflict with the local broadcast. He took a leave of absence for his dad, he didn't quit - and if he did so be it he's an announcer, a great and enjoyable one but other people don't depend on him for the success of the team.