Gomez traded for Chris Higgins

HellOnICE

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canadiens acquired centre Scott Gomez, winger Tom Pyatt and defenceman Mike Busto from the New York Rangers in exchange for winger Chris Higgins and defencemen Dpug Janik, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko.

Any way you look at it, this is an epic fail for Gomez. If Gomez came close to performing as the Rangers envisioned, he's still there. Clearly he wasn't worth anything near what he was signed for (we all already knew that 2 years ago), but I give Sather credit for ridding himself of that deal.

I get the feeling Gomer will be smiling a LOT less in Montreal.

montreal has a lot of cap space and can't be assured that anyone actually wants to come to their city to play - edmonton did this with visnovsky.

Montreal has a hard time finding players that want to play with them?

Edited by titans04

higgins is one year away from UFA, just to let everyone know. this is a typical cap-type deal that we see more and more of. unfortunately it probably means hossa, gaborik, or something else to NY.

I think Gaborik is the most likely suspect. Which i REALLY REALLY hope not, cause I like Gaborik, i dont want to start hating him.

This makes me laugh so much at Gomez and that expected 7 years. You leave your first team for another and they trade your ass!! I guess this means they're going to retire his number when he retires??

I think Gaborik is the most likely suspect. Which i REALLY REALLY hope not, cause I like Gaborik, i dont want to start hating him.

This makes me laugh so much at Gomez and that expected 7 years. You leave your first team for another and they trade your ass!! I guess this means they're going to retire his number when he retires??

I would think they would.

Gaborik is injured all the time, how can you follow him?

Gaborik to the rags could be a good thing, theyll pay him 7 million and he'll play in 20 games.

I think the Rangers are going after Heatley though.

Guys this is good news (in terms of hurting the Rangers). Gomez is so much better than Drury it's absurd. Gomez was the best skater for the Rangers last year in the playoffs (as he was for us his last year) and his departure makes the Rangers slower and less dynamic. Drury and Redden are the big albatrosses on that team and they remain.

Although his leaving will hurt the rangers, he will make the Canadiens much better, a team that was starting a washed up Robert Lang last year as its first line center. They need to get Kovalev or some comparable winger as well in FA and they can be an elite level contender again next year.

mcdonagh's stats at wisconsin are less than impressive. that said i am surprised he's included.

I don't pretend to know how to rate prospects, but Hockeysfuture had him as their top prospect... and ranking the Canadiens as 2nd best in terms of prospects... with us ranking at 28... although we were 30th for the longest time... lol

The Montreal media is going to eat Gomez alive. I think the Rangers get the best of this trade but I suppose Montreal felt like this was a risk they had to take. On one hand I am glad that Gomez going to NY failed but on the other hand this does free up some cap room for the Rangers which pisses me off. I don't feel bad at all for Gomez, especially since my brief visit to Montreal showed me that there are a ton of hot women up there. I sure as hell wouldn't mind living there.

I don't pretend to know how to rate prospects, but Hockeysfuture had him as their top prospect... and ranking the Canadiens as 2nd best in terms of prospects... with us ranking at 28... although we were 30th for the longest time... lol

yeah i thought he was a forward for some reason.

i do agree that this hurts the rangers offense more than people think - gomez was their leading scorer last year.

yeah i thought he was a forward for some reason.

i do agree that this hurts the rangers offense more than people think - gomez was their leading scorer last year.

Well, they will unquestionably wasted the 7mm cap space on someone else tomorrow... here's hoping its just as shockingly bad.