Zajac files for Arbitration

CADevilsFan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Salary Arb is a normal process... it's been a bit unusual for a while since Edmonton screwed the RFA system up - but as the cap nightmare looms, teams are back to normal. RFA's are supposed to be cheap. Paying them like they are UFA's is only a recent phenomina.

It would be in the Devils best interest to sign Zajac long term... It would be in Zajac best interest to sign a 2 year deal (he doesn't want to be looking for money next year with all the sh1t going down).

Just like Gomez, we are asking too much from Zajac. He isn't a top line center, but he has to be for us because we have nothing else. Zajac's numbers benefit greatly from Zach Parise and Jamie Langenbrunner. The Devils will argue that point if it goes to salary arb. Hopefully Zajac can stomach it, but we shouldnt be fearful of salary arb right now.

POD on all points.

Zajac on his own is a good hockey player. Above-average in most facets of the game, excellent defensively. If this is all that anyone was going on, I wouldn't be too worried.

I'm just afraid that his agent is trying to play more off of Zajac's importance to that first line. Those three have been together for, what, three years? They're the only reliable force our offense has had in that time, and he's literally right in the middle of it. If the arbitrator attributes things like Zach's breakout or Jamie's career year to Zajac, we could be in trouble. I think he finished something like fifth or sixth in Selke voting too.

It is Travis' agent's job to get his as much as he can, be it in NJ or elsewhere - unless Zajac says he wants to go nowhere. Like Gio, if someone thinks he's worth $5 M a year then that is what he is worth; worth isn't decided on how much Lou offers, it is how much everyone else would offer.

How long before we can't afford to sign any of these guys? 2M a year for Zajac seems excessive, though , what do I know?

2m for Zajac would be a hell of a bargain. I think he will get somewhere around 3-3.5mil, which I think is pretty reasonable for what he brings to the team.

Edited by squishyx

lou probably wants 1.5, the arbitrator will say 2, we will end up paying him but lou won't be all that happy.

I think a few people here are confused with the processs which is why there is so much negativity. The whole process is part of the CBA. filing for arbitration assures two things. No other team will make an offer to Travis, and he won't hold out. Basically means he wants to stay on the team but can't agree on $$ so it isn't the end of the world here.

If Lou loses he won't get mad or be spitefully, it's only business. some players can handle it, others can't. I don't rmeber nieds going to arbitration, but I do remeber him holding out. He eventually signed, played like it didn't bother him. Guerin on the other hand signed a deal after holding out and didn't look like he was giving 100% which is why he was traded and won't ever be a devil again. Holdouts are a bit different from arbitration, but that is why the process is here now.

It is a tougher for the team for arbitration becasue you do want to get the best deal, but you can't bad mouth them so much that they sulk. Lou has said that he's learned from the past. I trust Lou on this point.

I also don't see how Lou would walk away from a arbitrion ruling. Why get no value from a signed player that at the very least you could get a bag of pucks.

As for all the players that have left after holdouts/arbitration, by it's very nature you know they had a higher value of themselves then the team did. Why should that change a year or two after the process. Do you think a player would think he was worth less the next year? which worries me on some level for Travis in the future.

tl;dr

Travis will be in a devils uni next season

So Lou pays out of his arse and signs a center for 7.5 million front loaded or whatever. Then you look at Zajac and his agent doesn't have as much bargaining power so Zajac is sign a 3 year 2.5, 3.0 and then 3.25.

I'm happy Lou didn't drop coin on a center at 7.5 million as it's against all logic with the cap being lowered an Zajac signed at a fair deal, and I think the numbers are very fair. Regardless, Zajac played every game last year and deserves the coin while tried and true Gomez cashed in and sucked for more but as usual Montreal has a plan! :giggle:

Zajac will be a great signing at the numbers above as long as we find a legit # 2 a Bergfors is not even NHL caliber. I sick of hearing his name and please move him if possible for a 7 or 8 dman or cash to widen our seats at the damn arena (that will be one section).

Keep the faith in Lou as Shanny will be back and we'll find a #2 center probably playing in Vietnam or Laos.