Zajac files for Arbitration

CADevilsFan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of stateing the dumbly obvious, this could go one of two ways:

1) Zajac's agent and Lou desided it was best to go to arbitration because the devils wouldn't be able to afford a match to a big contract and are doing this to safeguard against it because all they needed was more time to work out the finer details of the contract

or

2) The two are miles apart on tavis's number and this whole situation becomes a disaster becuase they go to arbitration Lou "wins" by getting zajac signed for a figure closer to his actual value, but losses because arbitration settlements are almost always 1 year deals and result in the payer becoming type-6 free agents (i think thats the right type) at which point our chances of holding onto our #1 center next summer look awfully bleek.

... IN LOU WE TRUST? :noclue:

Yeah im goin with that :koolaid:

Um, didn't the last two Devils that went to arbitration sign with the Rangers after that contract was up? Were there any others that have gone to arbitration? I remember Holik basically said he'd never play for this team again (too bad he's not a man of his word) after his arbitration hearing.

and Lou understands it's inner workings better than anyone so he must be trusted -- WELL --- that is IF you love the game of hockey.

This is the only part I disagree with. A lot of people understand the inner workings of hockey but to blindly trust the GM of your team when we've won nothing since 2003? You can be a fan and an optimist all you want but sometimes the GM just didn't have the foresight to see this happening or he thought it'd be ok for the team and it's not, anyway you look at it. Now it might not be the end of the world and in the long run we might get someone to fill in or even the slightest possibility we get someone who's better. But you've got to take care of your own and Zajac seemed like a key cog in the future of the Devils. Lou might just think differently about it but he's been long gone since deserving our trust just because...you can only ride those 3 cups so long before we become another team dreaming of the cup we won way back when.

Is it some sort of obligation that all of our top Centers at some point or another have to go to arbitration.

I hopw Lou gets something done before the hearing but i wont hold my breath.

I get the feeling this is the sort of situation Lou actually enjoys, getting to take a player to court and demonstrate in front of everyone that he will not be messed about.

This was not the type off season i was expecting. :saddevil:

The arbitration process is not healthy for the player. The management prepares and presents and negative view of the player to get the lowest dollar decision. His agent praises the play of the player. So the player hears both stories and can't accept the management's position. The player is told this is the process of this game so don't believe it, but usually can't accept that especially if he is a young player.

Lou put a low ball offer out to Zajac. His agent told him he could get more. So Arbitration gets set in motion.

This has happen many times to Lou. Holik, Gomez twice, and I think Niedermayer to mention a few. Holik hated the process. Most Devils players that have gone to arbitration have left team.

I believe that Lou hasn't ever signed a player before the arbitration actually began.

In conclusion after the arbitration process the player is no longer a total team player but instead is always thinking about leaving the team and only thinking about money for himself. Until he gets to a team that he feels he is wanted and appreciated.

Nice going Lou the Devils need centers, You can't count on Zubrus your big off season mistake.

i fear the day that Parise will be UFA

I think we all do. Yea its easy to think that Lou will resign parise long term without question but isnt really a sure thing? I sure hope Parise is drinking the kool aid, because Im sure he can get 7 or 8 million/year on the market somewhere.

Zajac better be signed and sign long term.

The arbitration process is not healthy for the player. The management prepares and presents and negative view of the player to get the lowest dollar decision. His agent praises the play of the player. So the player hears both stories and can't accept the management's position. The player is told this is the process of this game so don't believe it, but usually can't accept that especially if he is a young player.

Lou put a low ball offer out to Zajac. His agent told him he could get more. So Arbitration gets set in motion.

Lou merely had to qualify Zajac, then they can negotiate terms etc. I hope it gets settled before it goes to justation.

This has happen many times to Lou. Holik, Gomez twice, and I think Niedermayer to mention a few. Holik hated the process. Most Devils players that have gone to arbitration have left team.

The devils told arbitrators that Holik was comparable to Travis Green, and should receive that kind of $$. That is what flipped Holik out at the time, and stuck in his craw.

I believe that Lou hasn't ever signed a player before the arbitration actually began.

In conclusion after the arbitration process the player is no longer a total team player but instead is always thinking about leaving the team and only thinking about money for himself. Until he gets to a team that he feels he is wanted and appreciated.

This team stuck with Trav 2 yrs before when he sucked. We all said it on this board. He was much improved last year. If Trav was on a line with pando/say clarkson, he'd be kissin lou ass. Dont get me wrong, Trav is important to the team going forward, but he's no Mark Savard. How long did it take Savard to get tghe $$ he deserved??

Nice going Lou the Devils need centers, You can't count on Zubrus your big off season mistake.

but if he can't be tied up beyond 2 years then fvckem! He's not the right fit.

Oh yeah, that's easy to say. Then who do we sign? And for what? Knowing Lou's unwilingness to signing top UFAs we won't see a good replacement, just like we are still waiting for the next Niedermayer, Rafalski and even Gomez. Zajac was great in his first year (scored more points than Parise had scored in his debut season) and then he bounced back after his sophomore slump in a big way. We will be screwed if we lose Trav in the next two years.

It sucks he went to arbitration, I'm somewhat disappointed in him, but then again - it's business, that's the guy's right and he's not the first and not the last to do so. Let's just hope it's not an indication of him caring more about the money than anything and jumping the ship in the future for the richest bidder.

This is the only part I disagree with. A lot of people understand the inner workings of hockey but to blindly trust the GM of your team when we've won nothing since 2003? You can be a fan and an optimist all you want but sometimes the GM just didn't have the foresight to see this happening or he thought it'd be ok for the team and it's not, anyway you look at it. Now it might not be the end of the world and in the long run we might get someone to fill in or even the slightest possibility we get someone who's better. But you've got to take care of your own and Zajac seemed like a key cog in the future of the Devils. Lou might just think differently about it but he's been long gone since deserving our trust just because...you can only ride those 3 cups so long before we become another team dreaming of the cup we won way back when.

Lou cannot control who is available at what price -- he works within certain perimeters. You must be extremely disciplined and have a cold clear hockey knowledge.

The Red Wongs have been able to field a great team year in year out. I find them quite amazing.

The Pens have great draft picks - bottom feeders are rewarded - what can you say?

Other than that I really dont see anyone "better" than the Devils. Only thing that's been bugging me and I HAVE written it - is that the Devils of the past two years are too interested in performing during the season. As I wrote when the team was stinking early last season - THAT is what I like to see. Stinking means learning - except in the playoffs. You can't learn unless you go deep at worst. i was VERY pleased with the indictions Lou agrees with me!

See after Lou's latest press blabfest I see we ARE still very much on the same page.

IMO it's time for the Devils to get back to HOCKEY -- not to players or coaches, Coaches and players are interchangeable aside from a few anchors -- I think Lou has been trying to find a magic bullet player instead of focusing on hockey. I think his team has been thinking that way -- thinking they were missing something rather than finding it from within themselves and Lou was trying to satisfy his players -- it's time to go back to hockey.

SO while most of you guys think he's a big idiot and totally want him to focus on Free agents like the fabulous Glen Sather and I want him to return to his old cheapskate ways with more fervor than he's had the past few seasons.

I'm somewhat disappointed in him, but then again - it's business, that's the guy's right and he's not the first and not the last to do so. Let's just hope it's not an indication of him caring more about the money than anything and jumping the ship in the future for the richest bidder.

Well -- that's the calm way of saying what I said.

Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Salary Arb is a normal process... it's been a bit unusual for a while since Edmonton screwed the RFA system up - but as the cap nightmare looms, teams are back to normal. RFA's are supposed to be cheap. Paying them like they are UFA's is only a recent phenomina.

It would be in the Devils best interest to sign Zajac long term... It would be in Zajac best interest to sign a 2 year deal (he doesn't want to be looking for money next year with all the sh1t going down).

Just like Gomez, we are asking too much from Zajac. He isn't a top line center, but he has to be for us because we have nothing else. Zajac's numbers benefit greatly from Zach Parise and Jamie Langenbrunner. The Devils will argue that point if it goes to salary arb. Hopefully Zajac can stomach it, but we shouldnt be fearful of salary arb right now.

Lou cannot control who is available at what price -- he works within certain perimeters. You must be extremely disciplined and have a cold clear hockey knowledge.

The Red Wongs have been able to field a great team year in year out. I find them quite amazing.

The Pens have great draft picks - bottom feeders are rewarded - what can you say?

Other than that I really dont see anyone "better" than the Devils. Only thing that's been bugging me and I HAVE written it - is that the Devils of the past two years are too interested in performing during the season. As I wrote when the team was stinking early last season - THAT is what I like to see. Stinking means learning - except in the playoffs. You can't learn unless you go deep at worst. i was VERY pleased with the indictions Lou agrees with me!

See after Lou's latest press blabfest I see we ARE still very much on the same page.

IMO it's time for the Devils to get back to HOCKEY -- not to players or coaches, Coaches and players are interchangeable aside from a few anchors -- I think Lou has been trying to find a magic bullet player instead of focusing on hockey. I think his team has been thinking that way -- thinking they were missing something rather than finding it from within themselves and Lou was trying to satisfy his players -- it's time to go back to hockey.

SO while most of you guys think he's a big idiot and totally want him to focus on Free agents like the fabulous Glen Sather and I want him to return to his old cheapskate ways with more fervor than he's had the past few seasons.

I'm not saying get the biggest fish in the pond, find what fits is always the best course of action. Field the best team at the lowest price is usually always the most ideal situation but once again the Devils were dropped in the first round. You can say all you want how the Red Wings and Penguins are the only teams better than the Devils but the fact is any team that made it out of the first round is better and maybe even some who didn't. You can have a GM as dumb as rocks but if it gets done on the ice then that's all that matters. I couldn't care less if we lose Zajac after this year because of the arbitration as long as Lou puts the best team that's possible on the ice. Sure it isn't going to happen every year but it should at least seem like he's trying. As someone else pointed out, no Zajac, then who? Zubrus? Call it what you want but it seems more like he's worried about the dollar and what to save than he is putting a good product on the ice. But who knows, maybe its time for that. Bring up our young guys, take a shot and see what they can do. I'm ok with that. If it fails then so be it, but at least have the ability to correct it. And that's where the problem lies, it seems less and less likely that Lou knows what to do to correct his mistakes...

kid got a little too excited, he should wake up and stop listening to his agent so much. he needs a dose of the devils cool aid, preferably from brodeur or stevens to set him right.

Yeah, he should sign here for less money just to be a good soldier in the Devils army.

Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Salary Arb is a normal process... it's been a bit unusual for a while since Edmonton screwed the RFA system up - but as the cap nightmare looms, teams are back to normal. RFA's are supposed to be cheap. Paying them like they are UFA's is only a recent phenomina.

the reason why RFAs are paid so much more nowadays is because they are arbitration-eligible much earlier. IIRC it was 5 years NHL experience in the old NHL, now just 4 years pro experience lets a player head for arbitration, only 3 in zajac's case. plus there weren't so many young players in the old NHL. the signing of offer sheets has helped increase RFA salaries somewhat, but joe sakic was signed to an offer sheet in the bad old days too.

Edited by Triumph

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this is the first notable arbitration case for the Devils since the cap was put in place? I can remember with Gomez that I just thought he was being a baby but I wasn't worried about the decision too much.

This time around, I care about the final number because this team cannot spend too much money because of the players coming up that are going to need raises (Parise, Clarkson, Martin).