Patrice Bergeron, perhaps?

Triumph

First off, someone on here had this idea, whether it was DP26, DD56, sundstrom, dr33 - *someone* did, and I dismissed it. We have more information now, and I think Mr. Bergeron is at least a possibility, albeit remote.

The Bruins are at $58.1 million with an estimated $4 million for Phil Kessel. Now Kessel may get nothing, and lose (good day sir!), but the Bruins still don't have a backup goalie, and Tuukka Rask has a large-ish cap hit for a backup ($850,000). So even with Kessel at $1M, it still puts the Bruins dangerously close to the cap with 56.1 million for 21 players, and certainly puts them over the cap next season when Kessel is arbitration eligible and Lucic and Wheeler are both due for new contracts. Someone has to go, with the most likely candidates being Patrice Bergeron and Marco Sturm.

So how's about:

Devils acquire Patrice Bergeron

Bruins acquire Jay Pandolfo, Matthew Corrente, and a 2nd round pick in 2010

Bergeron is UFA in 2 years, so if he's a disaster he's not here for long. But this is someone who had 3.83 shots per game as a 20 year old in 2005-06. He has the concussion problems, true. But he slides right in on the 2nd line.

The problem is, the Devils would have to find a place to dispose of Zubrus or Salvador, preferably Zubrus, as without both Salvador and Corrente the backline looks barren. They'd have a cap hit of $48 million in 2010-11 without Paul Martin, which basically means good-bye Paul Martin, (although the market for him is basically limited to Minnesota).

Anyway, I thought of this yesterday, but it's really all too complicated to make it work - the Devils really can't add a big salary like this.

So the Devils will trade essentially Paul Martin (after a year), Pando, Corrente, Zubrus and a 2nd round pick just to fit an injury prone player into our 2nd line center position?

I think its far more likely we'll be here in a couple of months complaining about how we are using Zubrus/Rolston as our 2nd line center and how Lou Lams and Lemaire have officially lost it... as opposed to any weird trade. Its very possible we pick up an under appreciated center somewhere for Zubrus or Pando somehow... but its not going to make the Devils instant favorites.

So the Devils will trade essentially Paul Martin (after a year), Pando, Corrente, Zubrus and a 2nd round pick just to fit an injury prone player into our 2nd line center position?

I think its far more likely we'll be here in a couple of months complaining about how we are using Zubrus/Rolston as our 2nd line center and how Lou Lams and Lemaire have officially lost it... as opposed to any weird trade. Its very possible we pick up an under appreciated center somewhere for Zubrus or Pando somehow... but its not going to make the Devils instant favorites.

no, i mean, if the devils could find a home for zubrus (atlanta would've been a good place if they didn't sign antropov, columbus if they didn't sign pahlsson) - they could make this trade work and keep paul martin (or his russian non-union equivalent in sergei gonchar).

boston definitely needs to make a trade, though.

I really don't know where Patrice Bergeron's game is right now after the concussion and neck injuries. His play at 19 and 20 was outstanding and he looked like the real deal, but now who knows. 8 goals and 31 assists last season on a very offensive team had me a little worried. He never found his game. Now I know he was used on the third line most of the year with less offensive players, but his offensive game was never really there. It's hard to evaluate him at this point.

Edited by devilsrule33

I really don't know where Patrice Bergeron's game is right now after the concussion and neck injuries. His play at 19 and 20 was outstanding and he looked like the real deal, but now who knows. 8 goals and 31 assists last season on a very offensive team had me a little worried. He never found his game. Now I know he was used on the third line most of the year with less offensive players, but his offensive game was never really there. It's hard to evaluate him at this point.

meh, he had a 5.5 shooting percentage. unless he's the second coming of scott gomez that's not likely to continue - i think it's a bit of bad luck and a bit of shying away from contact.

i do wonder where bergeron ends up - i just can't see him playing in boston this year, but i don't see many teams with the cap room to take him on.

Tri, you think we could do this with Vasyunov or Zharkov or someone not named Bergfors, Corrente, Halischuk or Eckford? I would hate to see those guys make it big with Boston, espcially Corrente. The way he plays the game would make it hell to play against them and that's not even talking about Chara.

Tri, you think we could do this with Vasyunov or Zharkov or someone not named Bergfors, Corrente, Halischuk or Eckford? I would hate to see those guys make it big with Boston, espcially Corrente. The way he plays the game would make it hell to play against them and that's not even talking about Chara.

nah. boston is too strong at forward, depth-wise. they have mikko lehtonen and brad marchand and even vladimir sobotka who are close to NHL-ready, and they haven't drafted a defenseman in the first round since matt lashoff (who they traded).

WOW - Tri talking about moving Zubrus - i thought the day would never come...

also - two good movie/tv references from you in this thread - well played.

i agree that it's trying to hard to get this kind of 2nd line center. i'm fine with the original deal - its subsiquent years' fallout that becomes an issue. lou has to do what he can to keep martin - there is simply no replacement for him in the system at this time and you're taking an awful risk saying oduya is it and then trying to find the next oduya from the minors or europe.

hell, it took martin two years to fill the hole left by rafalski.

WOW - Tri talking about moving Zubrus - i thought the day would never come...

yeah i mean again it's not going to happen, but basically if the devils want a '2nd line center', it's going to come at the expense of zubrus. there's no way the devils can have 'second line center' and zubrus unless he's low salary (e.g. andrew ebbett - i definitely think an ebbett for salvador + 3rd deal wouldn't be all bad for both sides)

i agree that it's trying to hard to get this kind of 2nd line center. i'm fine with the original deal - its subsiquent years' fallout that becomes an issue. lou has to do what he can to keep martin - there is simply no replacement for him in the system at this time and you're taking an awful risk saying oduya is it and then trying to find the next oduya from the minors or europe.

i'd hope lou is working on a deal with martin right now. as we've discussed, minnesota's got a lot of money coming available - he's going to have the opportunity to 'go home' next off-season.

yeah i mean again it's not going to happen, but basically if the devils want a '2nd line center', it's going to come at the expense of zubrus. there's no way the devils can have 'second line center' and zubrus unless he's low salary (e.g. andrew ebbett - i definitely think an ebbett for salvador + 3rd deal wouldn't be all bad for both sides)

i'd hope lou is working on a deal with martin right now. as we've discussed, minnesota's got a lot of money coming available - he's going to have the opportunity to 'go home' next off-season.

Yeah, we've already been through that scenario enough times.

Every trage has us unloading Pando and Zubrus. Maybe that would work if there was an expansion team that was not allowed to watch the last two NHL seasons but no one is going to takt these contracts off our hands unless we package a pick or a good prospect with them to offset the problems they create.

From my limited perspective, Lou's inactions this year speak volumes. He thinks we can win like this. I don't. I hope I am wrong.

From my limited perspective, Lou's inactions this year speak volumes. He thinks we can win like this. I don't. I hope I am wrong.

TG believes Lou has always been targeting a trade for the 2nd line center and that he was only interested in Koivu on the free agency side of things. So that's TG's 2 cents on it.

I'm of the opinion that we'll have to live through this year with this team. We'll have to manage with the contracts we've taken on and do the best of the situation. There's a cap crunch coming and we'll probably look a lot better after it than before. Teams getting through that unscathed will be scarce and that'll be a huge advantage for us.

I'm of the opinion that we'll have to live through this year with this team. We'll have to manage with the contracts we've taken on and do the best of the situation. There's a cap crunch coming and we'll probably look a lot better after it than before. Teams getting through that unscathed will be scarce and that'll be a huge advantage for us.

But don't you think, realistically, that if 80% of the teams in the NHL will be in trouble (and I don't claim to know the number) that Bettman won't change the rules? It doesn't benefit anyone when the NHL as a whole isn't putting the best product it can on the table.

But don't you think, realistically, that if 80% of the teams in the NHL will be in trouble (and I don't claim to know the number) that Bettman won't change the rules? It doesn't benefit anyone when the NHL as a whole isn't putting the best product it can on the table.

I don't know, and it wouldn't surprise me if Bettman did change the rules, but I think it's better to be safe in this case. Spending with the idea that the rules will be changed sounds like a gamble I'd vote against.

Which would suck for those teams that worked within the existing rules. But, yea, if the number of teams in trouble got that high, something would have to be done. Bailout anyone? :P