HOF or No HOF: Part 9

devilsrule33

Hof or No HOF  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Dave Andreychuk

• HOF
    • No HOF

Its August. Time for another few rounds of HOF or No HOF. Last year NJDevs voted in Scott Niedermayer, Mike Modano, Joe Nieuwendyk, Teemu Selanne, Sergei Federov, and Peter Forsberg into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Here is a recap of the voting last season. http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38965&pid=644879&mode=threaded&start=

First up this year

Edited by devilsrule33

Is it just me or was this a weak era for HOF quality of play? I never really saw the 90's but it seems like there's a lot more stars in the league today? So that begs the question does a player who might not be a HOF during a different time frame get elected because he was one of the best players in an era where there just wasn't that much talent in the league?

Sorry for all the points ending in questions, but I didn't want to make myself look like a fool by talking about something that I really don't know much about.

Is it just me or was this a weak era for HOF quality of play? I never really saw the 90's but it seems like there's a lot more stars in the league today? So that begs the question does a player who might not be a HOF during a different time frame get elected because he was one of the best players in an era where there just wasn't that much talent in the league?

Sorry for all the points ending in questions, but I didn't want to make myself look like a fool by talking about something that I really don't know much about.

I recall hearing that argument a few times when people are debating why scoring was down in the 90's. Its not that goalies were dominant or that the trap became more prevalent, though those may have been factors, but scorers just weren't, y'know, scoring. Now this is obviously not first hand knowledge from me, but this is a point that I've seen brought up before.

Not a flashy HOF skillset, but not everybody can stand in front of the net for decades, take a pounding, stay durable, and become an expert at deflecting shots in and finding rebounds. Unless you're making a strict hall of fame where only the super elite get in, andreychuk has to be there.

I'm of the opinion that you truly have to be great to get into the hall of fame, and as much as I loved andreychuk, he just wasn't that. He was a very good player for a very long time but never was he one of the best players of his time. Your only argument to me is that he played in the "dead puck era" but I still don't think he was "great enough" (ps- I know I sound like Skip Bayless)

I recall hearing that argument a few times when people are debating why scoring was down in the 90's. Its not that goalies were dominant or that the trap became more prevalent, though those may have been factors, but scorers just weren't, y'know, scoring. Now this is obviously not first hand knowledge from me, but this is a point that I've seen brought up before.

That's the big question. Do you consider the era or is it strictly numbers? I would think it varies per vote.

Of course he belongs. Look at his numbers. They dont lie. The guy was a fabulous player who never used the flash that gets you elected to all star teams. He used the long stick to keep posession of the puck and was able to deflect anything shot within 5 feet into the net. Had he been on more championship caliber teams throughout his career, the vote would've been 90% in favor. He was a scoring machine who was willing to take a beating every night and still do his job.

I have a few problems with Dave Andreychuk's career. Firstly, he was awful in the playoffs. And I think a HOF career has to look at both the regular season and the playoffs. He was on some excellent playoff teams, and some not-so-good ones...but he could never get any of the not-so-good teams past the first round, and he never really helped those good teams get to the finals. In 18 playoff seasons, he arguably had one good year with the 1993 Leafs. Those Sabres teams were never incredible, but they should have won at least one of the 8 playoff series he was in with the team. He came to New Jersey and put up 3 points in 3 playoff seasons. Was one game away from the Stanley Cup Finals with the Avalanche, but didn't really help them out with 5 points in 17 games. He's 194th all-time in points per game in the playoffs. Guys like Joel Otto, Mike Ricci, Shayne Corson, Scott Young and Jamie Langenbrunner should not be ahead of someone like Andreychuk.

Another thing that bugs me about Andreychuk's career was that he finished his last 6 years as a - player. He was still scoring a very large amount of PPGs but was pretty bad 5 on 5. Even with a team like the Avalanche in 2000...how do you go -9 in 14 games?

Edited by devilsrule33

I prefer dominance to consistency. A guy like Konstantinov who was spectacular before his career got cut short is much more of a hall of famer than a guy like Andreychuk, whose numbers are a product of lasting a very long time. I won't be mad if he gets in, but he doesn't get my vote, not that that counts for anything.

I'll always feel that Hall-Of-Fames should be reserved for the very best, and not the very good. The only time I really remember thinking of Andreychuk as being dominant was when he had one of his 50+ goal years with Gilmour for the Leafs, and as devilsrule33 points out, his playoff performance was lacking. He's had a wonderful career, and it's always impressive when someone can play for as long as Andreychuk did without embarrassing himself in his later seasons, but for me he falls short.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Almost 700 goals, all-time PPG goal leader, captain of a SC-winning team? Absolutely a HOF'er. Some may call him a compiler, but Andreychuk put up HOF worthy numbers over those 23 seasons. He might not get in on the first ballott, but he will eventually, and he'll deserve it.

I vote yes simply because of this list...

Regular season goals

1. Wayne Gretzky, 894

2. Gordie Howe, 801

3. Brett Hull, 741

4. Marcel Dionne, 731

5. Phil Esposito, 717

6. Mike Gartner, 708

7. Mark Messier, 694

8. Steve Yzerman, 692

9. Mario Lemieux, 690

10. Luc Robitaille, 668

11. Brendan Shanahan, 656

12. Jaromir Jagr, 646

13. Dave Andreychuk, 640

14. Joe Sakic, 625

15. Bobby Hull, 610

16. Dino Ciccarelli, 608

17. Jari Kurri, 601

18. Teemu Selanne, 579

19. Mike Bossy, 573

20. Joe Nieuwendyk, 564

Mats Sundin, 564

22. Guy Lafleur, 560

23. Johnny Bucyk, 556

24. Ron Francis, 549

25. Michel Goulet, 548

I vote yes simply because of this list...

Regular season goals

1. Wayne Gretzky, 894

2. Gordie Howe, 801

3. Brett Hull, 741

4. Marcel Dionne, 731

5. Phil Esposito, 717

6. Mike Gartner, 708

7. Mark Messier, 694

8. Steve Yzerman, 692

9. Mario Lemieux, 690

10. Luc Robitaille, 668

11. Brendan Shanahan, 656

12. Jaromir Jagr, 646

13. Dave Andreychuk, 640

14. Joe Sakic, 625

15. Bobby Hull, 610

16. Dino Ciccarelli, 608

17. Jari Kurri, 601

18. Teemu Selanne, 579

19. Mike Bossy, 573

20. Joe Nieuwendyk, 564

Mats Sundin, 564

22. Guy Lafleur, 560

23. Johnny Bucyk, 556

24. Ron Francis, 549

25. Michel Goulet, 548

Well you can look at it that way, but I doubt the HOF voters would. And I know they aren't because if you look further down that list, you'll find Dino Ciccarelli with 608 goals. And he's been passed by the voters for about 8 years now. Now Ciccarelli scored 32 less goals in 407 less games, and performed much better in the playoffs than Andrechuk. Dino is 13th all-time in goals per game in the playoffs, while Andreychuk is 186th.

Pretty interesting that most people here have Andreychuk over Ciccarelli in the HHOF.

Edited by devilsrule33