GDT: Philadelphia @ DEVILS 10/3/09 - 7pm

overtime98

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my apologies, i forgot about bobby holik, another good checker we lost this offseason.

bottom 6 looked more like this...

Jay Pandolfo-John Madden-Brendan Shanahan; Mike Rupp-Bobby Holik-David Clarkson

with zubrus centering elias and rolston on the 2nd line.

look, im not "packing it in" or "leaving" because it's going to be a diffcult year. just voicing my opinion that i don't think we're really built to win games this year the way we were last year.

is it really wrong or unappreciative to say that i think that sucks and that i will not accept it for a team i support? thick and thin, im here. it's just looking a bit thinner this year.

I'm not pleased with Brodeur's performance tonight obviously as his tendencies of giving up soft goals increased. Besides that, everything is OK to me as new players and new system need time to solidify, but that cannot hide Marty's uncharacteristic showing. I still have patience on this team but it'll be wearing thin if the goalies cannot make huge saves consistently.

my apologies, i forgot about bobby holik, another good checker we lost this offseason.

bottom 6 looked more like this...

Jay Pandolfo-John Madden-Brendan Shanahan; Mike Rupp-Bobby Holik-David Clarkson

with zubrus centering elias and rolston on the 2nd line.

look, im not "packing it in" or "leaving" because it's going to be a diffcult year. just voicing my opinion that i don't think we're really built to win games this year the way we were last year.

is it really wrong or unappreciative to say that i think that sucks and that i will not accept it for a team i support? thick and thin, im here. it's just looking a bit thinner this year.

Still got those lines wrong. Missing Gionta and adding Shanahan late in the year bumped either Rupp or Holik out of the lineup.

Nothing is wrong with saying they aren't built to win games, but it isn't fair to say it after one game when the top line was out of wack and Brodeur let in so many awful goals. Keep in mind that the best forward in franchise history is out of the lineup too right now. There is an adjustment process and it could take time.

Tonight is a night to be upset at Brodeur, not to attack the rest of the team.

Optimist - we historically have poor Octobers, we are playing the favorite in the east, we need time to gel. Elias will smooth things out.

Pessimist - Is this the year Broduer looks old? Is the youth not that good? Are we too thin? Is it time to give up on the notion that we never rebuild?

One game....so many questions....I will keep watching (with the Pepto in hand!)

On to Monday night

The star of the night was the new intro video..

Devils young guys sure looked like they could use some guidance from a 22 year veteran :whistling: I'm not saying it'll be this way all season, but tonight Shanny would have played much better than those rookies

Still got those lines wrong. Missing Gionta and adding Shanahan late in the year bumped either Rupp or Holik out of the lineup.

Nothing is wrong with saying they aren't built to win games, but it isn't fair to say it after one game when the top line was out of wack and Brodeur let in so many awful goals. Keep in mind that the best forward in franchise history is out of the lineup too right now. There is an adjustment process and it could take time.

Tonight is a night to be upset at Brodeur, not to attack the rest of the team.

Well, I got those lines from here...

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/04/page/6/

So no, those were the lines during the playoffs.

Semantics aside, I think the adjustment process is going to take a lot longer than you may think. Like a season or so.

Madden was one of the core guys on this team and I'm sorry, but Rod Pelley has nothing on him. I will hold this grudge until he proves otherwise.

I'll spare the top line because we all know what they can do when they're clicking and they will get that back.

Patty worries me, though. Hopefully he'll be the same player when he returns, but you never know with injuries. Sometimes they can dog guys all season. See: Brian Rolston last year.

Personally, I'm setting the bar low. If they make the playoffs, it will be quite the feat and IMO take a few more moves on Lou's behalf. That's just my assessment on where we're at right now. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

Well that one sucked. Kind of a bitter pill to swallow, this being my first time attending the opening anything and all.

It's just the first of 82. Like in many other games, killing a 5 on 3 can really swing the momentum hard, and tonight it did.

Just wipe it out and prepare to do better against the blue men.

This was very 1998-esque. Jacques sucks and Elias is going to have to save his goofy system because this is not at all designed with PZL in mind. It'll get tighter (don't know how they could play it worse) but this is an exercise in square pegs and round holes.

the combination of the D and Marty was probably just as bad.

Tonight was a very odd game. None of the Flyers' goals came on particularly good plays, just shots that somehow found their way to the back of the net. For a team that was predicted to be serious Cup Contenders (Flyers), the Devils played a pretty solid game against them. It definitely wasn't as lopsided as the score would indicate.

Well, I'm late in the conversation here. So a few things.

I understand what Jacques is trying to do. He wants guys to skate into the zone, not chip it out and get it and chase it, etc. Right now, I'm willing to see where that goes. There's going to be a learning process with that, coupled with our new players...it's going to be an interesting season.

I'm sure there's been talk here about the fact that Parise, Zajac and Co. aren't used to playing/skating into the zone. Absolutely. I get that. They create down low, etc. Where my thinking is right now on that, is I think they could be fine if they had proper defenders back to move the puck to/with them. They, and correct me if I am wrong, are usually out there with Mottau and White. Well, how is that supposed to work. It won't. They can barely skate, let alone control a rush.

So what exactly is Lou/Jacques plan? Is it to win today? Perhaps. Are Lou/Jacques certain this system is the way of the Devils future, and will take 2 years to establish this system inside the organization before Jacques retires?...Now if that is the case, then certainly Lou is taking a long hard look at just who will fit into this new system and who will not.

I'd like to think that is what Lou is doing.

As for the current roster. I still do not understand what we are doing Andrew Peters. 8+ minutes of ice when they are playing from behind...He didn't do anything of note, except be an idiot when the game was out of reach.

Jay Pandolfo continues to be Jay Pandolfo.

My only issue, heavy issue right now, is that we seemingly have deadwood before the season starts. Which is strange.

As Tri says, it's never as good as it looks. It's also never as bad. We subtracted Madden, Gionta, Elias, Shanny, Rupp and Holik from last year's roster. You're going to take a hit. That's fine.

You'd have to think when Patrik comes back, things/players will fit into place a little better.

PZL

Rolston-Elias-Bergfors

Halischuk-Zubrus-Clarkson

Niedermayer-Pelley-Pikk

Positives: BERGFORS....I thought he was very good, for the most part tonight.

I'm tired.

Oh and Marty was a trainwreck.

Oh #2....Someone explain to me what was going on during the 5-on-3????? I had never, in my wildest dreams imagined the 5 players that were out there...were. Terrible decision.

Parise-Zajac-Clarkson

Rolston-Martin/Jamie

Edit again: Elias comes back too..

Elias-Zajac-Parise

Jamie-Martin

Bergie-Zubrus-Clarkson

Rolston-Oduya/Murphy

Edited by HellOnICE

I'm not too worried about this game. Devils were adjusting to regular season speed and still don't know the system perfectly. Despite that you could argue they outchanced the Flyers, just Marty didn't make any big saves and let in a few poor ones.

Ya think?!?! I haven't seen anything stink that bad since, well the last time I turned on a Mets game :P

Anyone want to pull up the picture of Marty and a beach ball in the net? I want to use it on my BoNY recap.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well, I'm late in the conversation here. So a few things.

I understand what Jacques is trying to do. He wants guys to skate into the zone, not chip it out and get it and chase it, etc. Right now, I'm willing to see where that goes. There's going to be a learning process with that, coupled with our new players...it's going to be an interesting season.

I'm sure there's been talk here about the fact that Parise, Zajac and Co. aren't used to playing/skating into the zone. Absolutely. I get that. They create down low, etc. Where my thinking is right now on that, is I think they could be fine if they had proper defenders back to move the puck to/with them. They, and correct me if I am wrong, are usually out there with Mottau and White. Well, how is that supposed to work. It won't. They can barely skate, let alone control a rush.

So what exactly is Lou/Jacques plan? Is it to win today? Perhaps. Are Lou/Jacques certain this system is the way of the Devils future, and will take 2 years to establish this system inside the organization before Jacques retires?...Now if that is the case, then certainly Lou is taking a long hard look at just who will fit into this new system and who will not.

I'd like to think that is what Lou is doing.

As for the current roster. I still do not understand what we are doing Andrew Peters. 8+ minutes of ice when they are playing from behind...He didn't do anything of note, except be an idiot when the game was out of reach.

Jay Pandolfo continues to be Jay Pandolfo.

My only issue, heavy issue right now, is that we seemingly have deadwood before the season starts. Which is strange.

As Tri says, it's never as good as it looks. It's also never as bad. We subtracted Madden, Gionta, Elias, Shanny, Rupp and Holik from last year's roster. You're going to take a hit. That's fine.

You'd have to think when Patrik comes back, things/players will fit into place a little better.

PZL

Rolston-Elias-Bergfors

Nieder-Zubrus-Clarkson

Pandolfo-Pelley-Pikk

Positives: BERGFORS....I thought he was very good, for the most part tonight.

I'm tired.

Oh and Marty was a trainwreck.

yes, that's the crux of the system, they want to enter instead of dump and chase. the problem is how many players on this roster are really tuned to do this?

Elias, Bergfors and... I dunno, maybe Oduya? it's like trap redux modernized, maybe more along the lines of Larry's system? but, you had Elias, Sykora, Mogs, Gomez, Nieds, Rafalski, even Madden and Brylin... players capable of playing this system and then a checking line.

this is very much built to be a grindy dump and chase team, which is why I don't understand this system at all, especially with the defensive involvement. they should have just hired an empty suit and showed him the games from the middle of the season (not the ones when Sutter got all Julien-y) and said "do this". Because it worked, against EVERYONE.

Just back from a long day and night at the prudential Center. UGH! This game was just a nightmare for the Devils. The PP was bad, the defense was really bad and Brodeur let in some soft goals tonight on opening night for the Devils. It was ugly and quite nasty during the game. The crowd was so into the game in the beginning and then the 1st Flyers goal came and it felt like the air was deflated right out of the Prudential Center. The Devils needed to score on that 1st 5 on 3 PP to keep the crowd and the loudness into the game. First game of the new season and the Devils PP was the main reason they lost this game to the Flyers. Have to score on the two man advantage. devils had two chances to do that but came up empty.

Its the 1st game of the season and no reason to woryy or panic Devils fans, so relax already. IT'S ONLY THE 1ST GAME! Jezz...

The 2 PM cutting the ribbon of Championship Plaza was just great and had a good time there and of course seeing my brick was just great. They did a nice job on them and there needs to be a lot more bricks to be installed to fill that Championship Plaza.

forget tonight's nightmare of a game and time to move onto the rangers game on Monday. devils need to play a lot better on Monday night especially on the PP and the defense of theirs.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

i'm willing to give it a few games but neither zajac nor parise nor langenbrunner are great passers. if you had a scott gomez type of player he'd fit right into this, but i hope lemaire scuttles the bringing it into the zone thing w/ PZL.

I'm thinking it's far more likely that Lemaire buries Langenbrunner and has a total falling out with him. Him putting Bergfors on the 1st line proves he's not going to give up on this concept easily.