Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/12/29/report-new-jersey-wants-winter-classic/

MSG.com has learned that New Jersey State officials are sending a letter to the National Hockey League and commissioner, Gary Bettman, requesting that the 2011 Winter Classic be played at the new Giants Stadium. Officials are asking that the annual NHL event match up the host New Jersey Devils with the New York Rangers.

Two sources speaking on anonymity, confirmed to me today that the state of New Jersey is aggressively pursuing this game between the two Hudson River rivals.

I say do it. Especially if they're gonna oversaturate and do two of them next year like rumored, then the "ratings will suck" issue is at least toned down some.

I doubt it would actually happen, given the Devils relationship with the Meadowlands, the resistance to using a third sweater (would we really do the green ones again less than a year after using them for "one night only"?), and the fact that I entirely expect Rangers/Caps next year; but still...fun to dream.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the NHL considers the event more prestigious at Yankees Stadium or the new Giants Stadium?

Definitely Yankee Stadium, but if they hitch their wagon to the baseball theme too often, it's gonna become "that hockey game that's played on a baseball field". They could presumably go for the attendance record at the new Giants stadium.

Definitely Yankee Stadium, but if they hitch their wagon to the baseball theme too often, it's gonna become "that hockey game that's played on a baseball field". They could presumably go for the attendance record at the new Giants stadium.

You gotta think that the NHL would go with Yankee Stadium to avoid any potential scheduling conflict with a week 17/playoff game involving the Giants or Jets at the Meadowlands.

You gotta think that the NHL would go with Yankee Stadium to avoid any potential scheduling conflict with a week 17/playoff game involving the Giants or Jets at the Meadowlands.

Maybe. I don't see why both teams can't be scheduled to end the season on the road though (assuming week 17 is the same weekend next year as it is this year).

Do you think the NHL considers the event more prestigious at Yankees Stadium or the new Giants Stadium?

Yankee Stadium can't happen at least for a few years because there'll be a college football bowl game there around this time in late December, meaning they'd have to deconstruct the football field and construct the hockey rink starting around now. It'd be impossible. If the NHL wants a Winter Classic in the NY area sooner rather than later, it will be at Giants Stadium or Citi Field (the less likely of the two).

Edit:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090930&content_id=7242582&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

The inaugural game, to be played sometime between Christmas and New Year's Day in 2010, will pit the fourth-place finisher from the Big East against the No. 7 team from the Big 12.
Edited by RSC

Maybe. I don't see why both teams can't be scheduled to end the season on the road though (assuming week 17 is the same weekend next year as it is this year).

I don't think the NFL would cooperate with the NHL for this, they didn't even let the Blackhawks and Bears advertise together.

the resistance to using a third sweater (would we really do the green ones again less than a year after using them for "one night only"?).

Why not? The Devils never said "we'll be wearing these for one night only and one night only forever infinity x 1000". If the fan feedback to the 3/17 game and the merchandising is overwhelming (which it looks to be), you'll see it again. Bank on it.

Besides a game where the Rangers wear the "NEW YORK" diagonal jerseys vs the Devils red/green will bring back memories for us older fans.

Edited by SJP20

Why not? The Devils never said "we'll be wearing these for one night only and one night only forever infinity x 1000". If the fan feedback to the 3/17 game and the merchandising is overwhelming (which it looks to be), you'll see it again. Bank on it.

Besides a game where the Rangers wear the "NEW YORK" diagonal jerseys vs the Devils red/green will bring back memories for us older fans.

Check icethetics.info for an interesting Rangers winter classic design

also check out the Isles one below it :whistling:

Funny, I was thinking about it last night, but rather as a Yankee Stadium game. It would be better to play a Devils - Rangers game at a baseball stadium, because you "only" need 50 thousand people to fill the stands, as opposed to 80 thousand at an NFL venue. So, I can see 20 thousand Devils fans coming to a game like this and compete with the Rangers fanbase. But with 80 thousand people at hand, the Devils fans would be HEAVILY outnumbered by the Blueskirts.

Anyway, if a miracle happens and New Jersey does get a Winter Classic next year, I'd love it to be a game between the Devils and ANYONE but the Rangers. When there were talks about a Rangers game at the Yankee Stadium, no one ever mentionted the Devils, even Lou was pissed about it. But when it's in NJ, the Rangers have to be involved... It sucks.

Oh, and for all of you saying it's impossible to happen because... the Devils hate 3rd jerseys and will reject a chance to get some much needed publicity, marketing and lots of money... just LOL.

Edited by Revan

In the original press release, I know it mentioned One Night Only multiple times. The idea of making it one-night-only is the only way I could see Lou going for something like it. Of course things can change, but I'd be surprised if they went back into the well with that, particularly the next year.

I don't see it happening. The NHL needs to get Ovechkin in one of these games immediately. Secondly, could you imagine the collective groaning by hockey fans around the league if the Devils are one of the two teams in this game.

I think it be great for the league if the Caps hosted one of the next games at FedEx Field.

Screw the collective groaners. The Devils will be starting a 600+ game winner in net. He's just as much hockey royalty as Ovechkin, and unlike Alex, Brodeur's career will be coming to an end soon. The NHL has plenty of time to get Ovechkin exposure in multiple Winner Classics down the line.

Parise deserves some exposure on a big stage like that as well. Zajac might be a legit star by then as well. Yeah, guess we can all dream.

My only issue was that I though the NHL would be switching between 2 western teams one years and 2 eastern teams the next.. I also think the game is meant to be between 2 promising teams for the Cup (but as this season is showing us, you never know who will do well and who will come up way short).. When this game was announced everyone thought the Bruins and Flyers would be great teams..

New Giants Stadium would be great for this.. It's a HUGE new stadium so a lot of tickets could be sold, because of the high volume of both Devils and Rangers fans living in the area.. The league knows of the Devils rivalry with New York and I think there is a lot of potential for this..

In my opinion, football stadiums are better for this game because of the higher number of seats and because the seating is better fitted for the rectangular ice surface... Baseball stadiums are more charming but so many people are very far away from the action

Screw the collective groaners. The Devils will be starting a 600+ game winner in net. He's just as much hockey royalty as Ovechkin, and unlike Alex, Brodeur's career will be coming to an end soon. The NHL has plenty of time to get Ovechkin exposure in multiple Winner Classics down the line.

Exactly. Brodeur's popularity is higher than ever right now (not that it ever was low). Plus, the Devils are a very good team as of now. Hopefully this continues and we have a good playoff run. With a team like that and Brodeur ruling the goalie world, this is the best chance the Devils are going to get for organising an event like that.

Exactly. Brodeur's popularity is higher than ever right now (not that it ever was low). Plus, the Devils are a very good team as of now. Hopefully this continues and we have a good playoff run. With a team like that and Brodeur ruling the goalie world, this is the best chance the Devils are going to get for organising an event like that.

There's a lot you can do with the goalie matchup as well...Brodeur vs. Lundqvist...old guard vs. the new guard...will Lundqvist someday challenge Brodeur's records, etc. I'm not saying I'd buy into any of that, especially since goalies don't really "face" each other (Brodeur faces Ranger shooters, Lundqvist faces Devil shooters), but at least they can bring an angle to this that several fans would find compelling.

In the original press release, I know it mentioned One Night Only multiple times. The idea of making it one-night-only is the only way I could see Lou going for something like it. Of course things can change, but I'd be surprised if they went back into the well with that, particularly the next year.

I think "one night only" means more like "this won't be a regularly scheduled occurrence". Considering there's no way the Devils would see the Winter Classic more than once a decade (and that's if we're lucky), I don't think Lou would have a problem breaking out the vintage sweaters again.

I think "one night only" means more like "this won't be a regularly scheduled occurrence". Considering there's no way the Devils would see the Winter Classic more than once a decade (and that's if we're lucky), I don't think Lou would have a problem breaking out the vintage sweaters again.

These seem to be popular as well.. Though I'm not a fan of them..

WinterClassic08.jpg

pic-2009-chicago-premier-replica-fansedge-lg.jpg

Edited by Colin226

I was thrilled when I heard this. Devils v.s Rangers! That would be great but I'll tell y'all one thing in my opinion unless the Rangers are given one which is a fairly good possibility I don't see the Devils being in one at least not the NHL going up to NJ and saying you can have it, it would be more to the Rangers. Then again even if there was one, weather?

So far we've seen:

Pitt v.s Buffalo

Detriot v.s Chicago

Philly v.s Boston

The NHL is looking for teams that have goal scorers. A team the relys on much of their offense. Next year I'm guessing it will stay East and go to Canada even though I'd hate that.

What the NHL wants:

The Caps or Montreal in one.

I want either:

NJ v.s NYR

or

Wash. v.s NJ

Who likes the Devils right? :P

We have to show that we are exciting or we won't have one.

Edited by Par99

i think next year is Caps/Rags at Camden Yards

If it's going to be as far south as Baltimore, why not Caps/Rags at Nationals Stadium in DC? Or how about on the national Mall? The biggest problem with having it in DC (or even Baltimore) will be the weather. This year it will be cold, but it just as easily be 50 degrees on January 1.

I also heard that the NHL won't use any NFL stadiums - they like the hype and hoopla connected with setting up the rink and the festivities that they have created around it - it worked well in Chicago last year and they're doing it in Boston this week. They can't do that in an NFL stadium because of the schedule - they can't get long term access to it when the teams are still playing regular season games.

citi field cannot host it - when it was built, they never winterized the building (meaning the pipes and field). dumb move by wilpons.

yankee stadium won't host it until for the next 4 years because of bowl games - end of story.

here's another nugget - the reason that the rangers never got the game at yankee stadium before - LOU. the league didn't want rangers v devils at the time and so yankee brass wouldn't allow the game without the devils out of respect for lou (who very much wanted in on it). he's a member of the yanks board.

weather isn't a problem to the construction or maintenance of the rink. it does, however, ruin the look the NHL's going for, which is of snowfields and gray skies.

still don't see it happening in giants stadium. it can't happen because of scheduling - the rink takes several days to build and maintain, and giants stadium hosts a football game pretty much every sunday. but then again, it's new jersey state officials who are pursuing this, and we know they're not known for thinking things through.

Edited by Triumph

weather isn't a problem to the construction or maintenance of the rink. it does, however, ruin the look the NHL's going for, which is of snowfields and gray skies.

still don't see it happening in giants stadium. it can't happen because of scheduling - the rink takes several days to build and maintain, and giants stadium hosts a football game pretty much every sunday. but then again, it's new jersey state officials who are pursuing this, and we know they're not known for thinking things through.

The Devils have next to no shot at the Classic UNLESS the Rags are involved. (assuming it would be at Yankee Stadium) I do not see why hockey fans as a whole would not want to see Marty in one of these. A Devils/Rangers Winter Classic in any venue would be a spectacular event for the whole area. Ticket sales would not be a problem, assuming they priced them fairly...