Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of the football program I take it?

Nah I'm a fan of the team, I went to almost every home game in my 4.5 years here, but I'm not a fan of our athletic department. I think it's a real slap in the face to lots of our student athletes to eliminate a bunch of teams and blame it on budget cuts, and then two or three years later spend boatloads of cash on this stadium expansion.

The politicians here just don't care. It was infuriating reading their indifference in the quotes I found while writing my paper on this.

That whole topic is of great interest to me. One might even say it's a minor obsession of mine. I would love to read your paper, if you didn't mind sending me a copy.

Just PM me. (Don't worry, if you'd rather not, I'll understand.)

The politicians here just don't care. It was infuriating reading their indifference in the quotes I found while writing my paper on this.

I think Rutgers Stadium is too much smaller than an NFL or MLB stadium for them to consider it.

Rutgers holds 52,454 for football. It would probably be higher for hockey. Rutgers stadium is bigger than any MLB park anywhere.

I think it would be great for a game there. It would sure as sh!t get rid of the NY aspect :yucky:

It would sure as sh!t get rid of the NY aspect :yucky:

I don't know about that, before the RU/Louisville game in 2006, New York basically claimed Rutgers as their own. The Empire State Building was lit up in red, and since all the other colleges in the New York area suck, the New York sports media seemed to have dubbed Rutgers as the New York team from what I remember. Also, they played "New York, New York" at a game this year to celebrate the Yankees winning the World Series.

I don't know about that, before the RU/Louisville game in 2006, New York basically claimed Rutgers as their own. The Empire State Building was lit up in red, and since all the other colleges in the New York area suck, the New York sports media seemed to have dubbed Rutgers as the New York team from what I remember. Also, they played "New York, New York" at a game this year to celebrate the Yankees winning the World Series.

yeah they always show the NY skyline when Rutgers plays on ESPN. New York has no problem claiming New Jersey stuff as theirs when they can reap the benefit of it... but usually all they want to talk about is that 4 mile stretch on the Turnpike...

Too many separate posts to respond to so I'll just pinpoint a couple:

1) it IS common knowledge that the NHL wanted the Capitals. This wouldve allowed Philadelphia to host a game, or better yet, the PHI v PIT rivalry in Happy Valley. Now it'll have to wait a while.

2) the NHL netted $1M in ad revenue for the first WC (or maybe last years). Regardless, this year's version netted $3M in ad revenue. I'm not exactly sure how attendance $ is split (if it is at all).

Brilliant! Set the game up with temporary seating on the lawn in Liberty Island between the Devils and Rangers and whoever wins the game gets to claim the statue!

I didn't even think of it, but they could set this up in Liberty State Park couldn't they? Right where they have the All Points West Festival every year....WOW! That would be amazing! Let's make the call!

Isles-Rangers at Citi Field might work. Rivalry game, Isles franchise needs a revival and have an up and coming superstar in Tavares...Rangers are the Rangers. Citi Field also has more of an intimate ballpark feel to it as opposed to the bland new meadowlands.

Isles-Rangers at Citi Field might work. Rivalry game, Isles franchise needs a revival and have an up and coming superstar in Tavares...Rangers are the Rangers. Citi Field also has more of an intimate ballpark feel to it as opposed to the bland new meadowlands.

Citi Field wasn't winterized as has been previously stated so they can't hold events in the cold weather months.

Congrats 7, I think you're the first person to ever use the terms "CitiField" and "intimate ballpark" in the same sentence. :lol:

Citi Field wasn't winterized as has been previously stated so they can't hold events in the cold weather months.

They mentioned on the Winter Classic broadcast that Fenway isn't winterized, so they had to bring in portable heaters and such. Possibly they could do the same for CitiField.

Red Bull Arena is another option, since it will be open next season, but it's probably too small at 25k seats. If they get Giants Stadium, they can bill it as the biggest Winter Classic yet... 82k vs. Ralph Wilson's 71k.