GDT: USA vs. CANADA

nyrsuck26

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I live in Santa Rosa, you going to the March 2nd game?

Yes I am, and I'm going with a large group of Sharks fans. For a while I was getting worried about this game vs. the Sharks, considering how we ended our last games before the break. But seeing how the Sharks top line has been playing for Team Canada, I'm feeling much better (maybe I'm delusional, but I think the Devils have a shot against them). Are you going?

guys - what we saw from marty tonight is pretty much what we have been seeing from him for years.

he can make some great saves - like he did on the breakaways and a few other chances.

and he can overplay the puck and give up goals like #3.

fluky tips seem to get by him more than they hit him these days too.

HE wasn't the reason Canada lost tonight. But he sure didn't help matters either.

70% of the time, Canada wins a game like this. They just didn't tonight.

That's why I don't put too much stock into a goalie's Sv% or GAA. Those stats are terribly inaccurate for measuring how good a goalie is.

If there was a stat that showed prime scoring chances as opposed to a 60 footer, that would go a long way to showing a more accurate analysis of a goalie's performance.

IMO out of the 45 saves Miller made, 12 were prime scoring chances where Ryan made exceptional saves, the other 33 shots a blind man could have stopped.

who cares if the other 33 were easy, goalies don't normally make 12 exceptional saves in a game. Miller was fantastic.

guys - what we saw from marty tonight is pretty much what we have been seeing from him for years.

he can make some great saves - like he did on the breakaways and a few other chances.

and he can overplay the puck and give up goals like #3.

fluky tips seem to get by him more than they hit him these days too.

HE wasn't the reason Canada lost tonight. But he sure didn't help matters either.

70% of the time, Canada wins a game like this. They just didn't tonight.

Yea this is about right. I think it all has to do with rest, mentally. He's fried.

Edited by HellOnICE

Broduer was awful guys. He should not start another game. At least two goals were directly his fault. The 3rd one was particularly atrocious. There shouldn't be any excuses made. If you thought Canada's D was bad how could you possibly describe America's Defense? No words exist.

Canada outplayed the US in every facet, goaltending was the difference.

Marty's stick work on the second goal was rough, but then watching it again - despite his bad decision, Rafalski crept in and had about 4 hours and 35 minutes to shoot that puck with no one on him.

well, it was a bad decision, and when you make a turnover like that you have everyone out of position. true, everyone was there standing around, but then brodeur put the puck in the net himself with his save.

he'll have 8 days of rest and he'll be fine.

the canadian team played an excellent game. i don't know how you can bash their defense and then kill marty. yeah they let up two breakaways, but to me the US played their best game and still got outchanced heavily - they just didn't take many penalties during the game.

agh, why does that format bar have to be right where I'm typing. I really don't think they played an excellent game, I just think they had a huge skill advantage in the game. they just aren't cohesive. they contained the US, but the D around the net was dreadful... not clearing guys out, mainly.

and I think Brodeur did fine in net. but you can't have an indirect role in the first goal, and a direct role in the second goal, by puck handling gone awry.

I'm not that worried about that in the NHL, because of the trapezoid.

Edited by maxpower

I wonder if we're going to start seeing Langenbrunner up front during power plays. He was great at screening marty tonight.

I was thinking the same thing. The Devs have been needing someone to park himself in front of the crease for the longest time.

C'mon Jamie!

What a great game, downloading it now for the archives.

What is especially awesome is we won't have to play Canada AND Russia on our path to the gold (probably one, potentially but unlikely neither). Still a large hill to climb but those are the only two teams that I feel drastically out match us talent wise.

We are also a lock more or less to play in a medal game as our qualifier for that is to beat either Belarus, Slovakia, Norway or Switzerland.

This is tough. Watching the game, I could tell along with everyone around me that my allegiance to Brodeur was stronger than the one I have for Team Canada. I just don't know what to think. I'm never a Marty apologist when the Devils play, but tonight I think I am. Was he that bad? I thought the US did a great job getting screens and deflecting pucks, something Canada did not do. But chances are Luongo with his big pads could have stopped a few of those pucks.

Marty will most likely get benched for Luongo, and it will be in Luongo's hands to win Gold. I just can't imagine watching Brodeur sitting on the bench for this. I find it pretty tough that right now that the entire country is calling for Brodeur to get the fvck out, and Luongo in...and maybe for good reason, and maybe just because it is the biggest tangible move they can make.

Right now there is a lot I don't like about Team Canada. No one is doing the dirty work up front. It just seems you have all these stars on the top two lines and no one wants to get in front of the net and screen Miller and deflect some pucks. Rick Nash is a big boy, and would have been great in front all game. And that Sharks line...you can see why Thornton has never won anything. He is the softest big man in hockey today.

Edited by devilsrule33

This is tough. Watching the game, I could tell along with everyone around me that my allegiance to Brodeur was stronger than the one I have for Team Canada. I just don't know what to think. I'm never a Marty apologist when the Devils play, but tonight I think I am. Was he that bad? I thought the US did a great job getting screens and deflecting pucks, something Canada did not do. But chances are Luongo with his big pads could have stopped a few of those pucks.

Marty will most likely get benched for Luongo, and it will be in Luongo's hands to win Gold. I just can't imagine watching Brodeur sitting on the bench for this. I find it pretty tough that right now that the entire country is calling for Brodeur to get the fvck out, and Luongo in...and maybe for good reason, and maybe just because it is the biggest tangible move they can make.

Right now there is a lot, I didn't like about Team Canada. No one is doing the dirty work up front. It just seems you have all these stars on the top two lines and no one wants to get in front of the net and screen Miller and deflect some pucks. Rick Nash is a big boy, and would have been great in front all game. And that Sharks line...you can see why Thornton has never won anything. He is the softest big man in hockey today.

I think Luongo probably gets out of this game with a win, but gets ripped to shreds by the Russians, who can be more precise than forecheck/screen/throw it at the net and see if it sticks. so this might have happened at the worst possible time.

Broduer was awful guys. He should not start another game. At least two goals were directly his fault. The 3rd one was particularly atrocious. There shouldn't be any excuses made. If you thought Canada's D was bad how could you possibly describe America's Defense? No words exist.

Canada outplayed the US in every facet, goaltending was the difference.

Canada did not outplay the US in every facet. In fact, I would say the US definitely outplayed Canada in the most important part of the game, on the boards. That's the knock on All Star type teams like Canada, they don't seem to have a guy on the ice at any given time that's going to go into a corner and dig the puck out more often than not. And while Miller was excellent, I think Hiller had a better game against Canada.

And don't take this as a defense of Marty. He was awful, period.

How it effects the rest of the season... before the Olympic break, I didn't think the Devils were getting out of the first round of the playoffs. Now I don't even think they'll win two games in the first round.

Canada did not outplay the US in every facet. In fact, I would say the US definitely outplayed Canada in the most important part of the game, on the boards. That's the knock on All Star type teams like Canada, they don't seem to have a guy on the ice at any given time that's going to go into a corner and dig the puck out more often than not. And while Miller was excellent, I think Hiller had a better game against Canada.

And don't take this as a defense of Marty. He was awful, period.

How it effects the rest of the season... before the Olympic break, I didn't think the Devils were getting out of the first round of the playoffs. Now I don't even think they'll win two games in the first round.

ROTFL. two Devils were key in winning the game for the US, one Devil was sorta key in Canada losing... end result, we're doomed. there's so much stupid going around about how Brodeur played. he got himself in trouble in situations that don't exist in the NHL, against rosters that don't exist to the NHL. do you think if that puck goes out to Hal Gill, that there's a problem?

Edited by maxpower

So according to my calculations, the US either plays Slovakia or the Swiss in the next round. That's figuring that both those teams will win their qualifier. If Sweden wins or that game goes to OT, we get the top seed and will most likely play the Swiss. For obvious reasons, I'd rather the US avoid playing the Slovaks.

So according to my calculations, the US either plays Slovakia or the Swiss in the next round. That's figuring that both those teams will win their qualifier. If Sweden wins or that game goes to OT, we get the top seed and will most likely play the Swiss. For obvious reasons, I'd rather the US avoid playing the Slovaks.

Every game from here on out is gonna be extremely scary. If Hiller stands on his head, he is capable of beating anyone! We need to totally shut their offense down and get tons of pucks at Hiller...

ROTFL. two Devils were key in winning the game for the US, one Devil was sorta key in Canada losing... end result, we're doomed. there's so much stupid going around about how Brodeur played. he got himself in trouble in situations that don't exist in the NHL, against rosters that don't exist to the NHL. do you think if that puck goes out to Hal Gill, that there's a problem?

Marty wasn't the only reason Canada lost, but was the main reason. And that's how he's been playing for the past six weeks, so it's much more reasonable to say that he'll continue to play poorly through the end of the season, then to say that he'll turn it around because he'll get some time off. Although I think the idea that you need a "hot" goalie to make it far in they playoffs is a bit overrated, you don't get anywhere when your goalie gives up two softies a game.