GDT: USA vs. CANADA

nyrsuck26

Thought I'd one more thing...non-Brodeur related. What the heck was a) Corey Perry doing on the ice in the final 40 seconds, and b) what the heck was with that effort skating for that lose puck at the end of the game. I couldn't tell if Perry was dogging it or if he is just that slow (he really isn't a good skater). It was pathetic. Contrast that with Ryan Kesler's effort, and it makes it all the more pathetic.

By the way...is Kessel hurt at all, or is Wilson just not liking his play, because I only noticed him once all game.

The straight line speed difference between Perry and Kesler is pretty significant. Perry's skating has always been regarded as suspect, while Kesler has always been known for pretty good straight line speed. Id give more credit there to Kesler than to say that Perry was dogging it.

To go back to something Derek said earlier, which was the biggest problem with Marty's game tonight. His puck handling is atrocious and has been all year long. I think I can count on one hand how many times he has played a puck that actually made it to a friendly stick. It is always a weak clear along the boards intercepted well before it gets to his own winger. The end result is trapping his d man, who is the easy outlet in the corner, in no mans land to make a play off the boards.

On the second U.S. goal not only did he give the puck away, but he trapped his two d men in between Rafalski and the US winger driving on the forecheck. Neither expected him to play that and were moving into position to fish the puck out of the corner.

Maxpower has talked about how the trapezoid will prevent mistakes like these. Not really, on the Rafalski goal he was in front of the goal line, and his bad clears around the boards happen all the time with the trapezoid.

Its been interesting watching something that used to be such a strength turn into a bit of a liability.

Speaking of liabilities, lets talk about Scott Niedermayer. Oh god its a train wreck out there. His nhl stats/play this year have been less than stellar. His olympic play thus far is ugly. The speed is gone and what is left is a turnover machine who doesn't play physical and whose tendencies drag him into positions he cannot skate himself out of anymore. Elite D man or answer to anyone's playoff prayers he is not.

In fact looking at Canada's blueliners, the vets are playing significantly worse than the new squad. Guys like Weber, Seabrook, Keith, and Doughty have been the best of the bunch, while Pronger, Nieds and Boyle appear to be the ones making the mistakes.

Keeping on the defensive tone, the US defense has its ups and downs as well. The Johnsons are solidifying their roles on team USA squads for years, but Jack needs to learn to play positional defense. He relies far too much on his athletic ability just as Lombardi said. However he is so talented that he can get away with it. Eric is turning into a do anything type who plays a much smarter/low risk game, but is just as talented. Rafalski is the veteran anchor to the group who has come up huge. Suter is quietly eating minutes in all situations without much drama. Gleason is playing his normal/steady game as expected. This leaves the complaints. Orpik does not handle the puck well enough to get the team out of the zone against this level of competition leading the team to get hemmed into its own zone far too often. Burke obviously wanted him for his physicality, but against a pressure forecheck his lack of puck skills are easily exposed. Ryan Whitney, its hard to bag on an injury replacement, but hes just doing nothing out there. Hes never been a stellar defensive player, but he hasnt brought any offense or transition game to the table either. Its easy to see why hes the 7th d man out there.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiprusoff looks like sh!t. If I were the Finland coach, I'd do with Backstrom. And due to that 5 minute penalty for the shot to the head, Sweden may end up routing Finland and taking the #1 seed!

HA, I just posted on this. With the way "Kipper" looks, they may get 3 more on this PP alone...

Kipper made some huge saves though. All 3 goals were defensive breakdowns. Finland hardly challenged.

Speaking of liabilities, lets talk about Scott Niedermayer. Oh god its a train wreck out there. His nhl stats/play this year have been less than stellar. His olympic play thus far is ugly. The speed is gone and what is left is a turnover machine who doesn't play physical and whose tendencies drag him into positions he cannot skate himself out of anymore. Elite D man or answer to anyone's playoff prayers he is not.

In fact looking at Canada's blueliners, the vets are playing significantly worse than the new squad. Guys like Weber, Seabrook, Keith, and Doughty have been the best of the bunch, while Pronger, Nieds and Boyle appear to be the ones making the mistakes.

I'm hoping this ends the 'we want Nieds' stuff around here for good.

yep, it would be insanity to take him on. but he definately outplayed the other guy, who looked as bad as advertised, from his play with the Ducks

Ya, Nieds looks as gassed as people said he is.

Then again, I don't see him play very often so I can't personally make a call on his seasonal play, just his Olympics play so far.

Ya, Nieds looks as gassed as people said he is.

Then again, I don't see him play very often so I can't personally make a call on his seasonal play, just his Olympics play so far.

ever since he took his little "vacation" from the NHL, his defensive play has suffered. and now he's losing steps. he's getting into "Leetch-o-meter" territory. I don't really buy into +/-, but his sticks out like a sure thumb. Brookbank has him by +27 or thereabouts. you can say he takes every empty netter against, and the Ducks have lost their fair share, but someone has to take them with him. and no one else is close.

the Ducks picked the wrong guy. maybe picking the wrong guy was picking anyone, I dunno, and Sbisa has definately played well in the Olympics.

he's not going for the price the Ducks would want, if he goes, not after that. I kinda wanted him to help stabilize the PP and be a "mascot" of sorts (like when we brought Claude back), but maybe if the US goes a long way here, it'll give Langs, and more importantly, Zach, some winning momentum and they'll take it back with them.... I'm not so sure I'd want him at even a minimal cost now. I don't know if he's any better defensively than say, Salmela, and that's a looonnggg way down from where he was.

edit: and then you look at someone like Doughty, and it's eye opening, the plays he made on that shift before Zach/Langs/Kesler put the game away... wow. he destroyed Callahan, and Callahan had played great up until that point.

throwing the Devils out of the equation, one thing Babcock has to do is look at some of the players he is playing, and some of the players that need to be playing more. Nieds vs. Doughty is one of those situations... and he should stop burying forwards, it seems one or two disappears in every game. there is never a reason to bury Iginla, for example.

you can change goalies all you want, but if you don't fix the other 18 guys, it's just rearranging deck chairs... the Russians will destroy them if they feel like playing on that particular night. you could get a time machine and get vintage Patrick Roy, it won't matter. that team is just ill-concieved and poorly managed, the short schedule hurts, but they can't even find little pockets of cohesion... (like the US did with Langs/Zach/Rafalski)

Edited by maxpower

I don't understand the "I can't root against Marty" people. You root for the logo on the front, not the name on the back. I wanted Marty to make zero saves last night.

Also, I thought the game being on MSNBC/cable was great! There were almost no commercials. There is no way NBC could have provided that same coverage. Plus they did an extended pre-game and post-game show. Not having MSNBC in HD is something you have to work out with your television provider and should not be a concern for NBC.

I think overall the hockey coverage has been very good. NBC has gone out of their way to show games live in their entirety which is rare for the tape delay loving network. It has not been perfect but it has still been excellent.

Oh and AMERICA fvck YEAH!

Of course, I was disappointed in Brodeur's play. Perhaps his aggressive style confused his D, or maybe his confusing D caused him to be too aggressive. That answer is out of my reach...

His bounce-back record is a factor that Babcock will consider, as well as, who he feels matches up against their next opponent, most likely Russia. And just over 24 hours later.

They may go with Luongo tomorrow & back to Brodeur on Wednesday, unless Bobby Lou plays lights out. Yet, since GER has no offense it is hard to see how that game shines any light on the keeper's play.

IMO, Brodeur plays more technical now that he is older, and gets beaten by scrambly plays. however he does fantastic against more scripted plays. I guess I'm a Broduer apologist, made sofet by enjoying his play all these years. So I think Luongo plays against Germany, but cant yet say who would play on Wednesday against Russia. I would lean toward Brodeur for that game as his bounce-back game and also aginst the highly skilled Russian offense.

I don't understand the "I can't root against Marty" people. You root for the logo on the front, not the name on the back. I wanted Marty to make zero saves last night.

Also, I thought the game being on MSNBC/cable was great! There were almost no commercials. There is no way NBC could have provided that same coverage. Plus they did an extended pre-game and post-game show. Not having MSNBC in HD is something you have to work out with your television provider and should not be a concern for NBC.

I think overall the hockey coverage has been very good. NBC has gone out of their way to show games live in their entirety which is rare for the tape delay loving network. It has not been perfect but it has still been excellent.

Oh and AMERICA fvck YEAH!

Yesh

What he said

One of the very best hockey games I have ever seen, intensity wise. It started in overtime, and never let up. :) Great game, great win, Marty didn't look too bad to me either, but at 37 I don't know if he really gets too much better than that. I think Miller may have been wearing Mike Richter's old 'international use only' cup LOL

I would really, really like to see a rematch of that game for the gold, that would be beyond epic. They'd have to close all the stores in Canada so everyone could watch! We beat Luongo in that game and no one in Canada can say boo about Marty, either.

But overwhelmingly, DAMN! What a game! You could have paid 500 bucks for your tickets and felt like you got your money's worth from that one.

Edited by jim777

One of the big reasons not to sign Rafalski to that contract was how long it was.

I think a lot of people owe Rafi an apology for suggesting he was washed up and would be a worthless pylon in a year or two. He has had 3 great years including this one, he could stick his finger in a light socket for the remaining 2 years and Detroit still got their money's worth. Yea hindsight is 20/20, and we can argue all day if he would have taken the same deal in NJ as he did for the Wings but a good majority here didn't want him for what he signed for. I think passing on him was certainly a mistake.

I think a lot of people owe Rafi an apology for suggesting he was washed up and would be a worthless pylon in a year or two. He has had 3 great years including this one, he could stick his finger in a light socket for the remaining 2 years and Detroit still got their money's worth. Yea hindsight is 20/20, and we can argue all day if he would have taken the same deal in NJ as he did for the Wings but a good majority here didn't want him for what he signed for. I think passing on him was certainly a mistake.

i don't - if rafalski slides into the boards awkwardly and messes up his ankle, who knows what he turns into. rafalski has played as well as can possibly be expected, and he has certainly lived up to his contract, but he's still turnover and mistake prone, but in detroit that really doesn't matter.

Edited by Triumph

That was one hell of a game for the ages. I agree "instant classic" for sure... Cannot blame this Canada loss on Brodeur at all. he did play the puck poorly on two of the Team USA goals but where was the defense infront of Brodeur? It was not his fault Team Canada lost the game. That is Brodeur's team and i would be very suprised if we see Luongo in net although it is germany up next for Team Canada on Tuesday. Brodeur is expected to play the rest of the way for Team Canada win or go home. I actually felt bad for Brodeur in that game.

Congratulations to Team USA on a great well deserved win. Good to see captain Langenbrunner get the GWG for Team USA. Rafalski is on fire and boy do the Devils miss Rafalski from the point on their PP. i would love to see Lou go trade for Rafalski to get him back here in New Jersey before the TDL. So far Rafalski and Miller are Team USA MVP. Miller was outstanding in that game and I have become a fan of Ryan Miller as well. Those 1960 version of Team USA jerseys looked nice, but like this years jerseys better. It was 1960 the last time Team USA won over Canada. We may see these jerseys once again if these two teams meet up in the medal rounds.

GO TEAM USA.

i don't - if rafalski slides into the boards awkwardly and messes up his ankle, who knows what he turns into. rafalski has played as well as can possibly be expected, and he has certainly lived up to his contract, but he's still turnover and mistake prone, but in detroit that really doesn't matter.

Couldn't you make that argument for anyone? You've been saying Rafi could spoil at any minute argument for a while now and guess what, he hasn't.

And mistake prone? He's about a +20 with Det. If he is screwing up he is doing something else even better to make up for it. And before the argument comes that he is on a stacked team, the Wings aren't doing so hot this year and he is still a +15, good for second on the team. You flat out aren't giving him enough credit, he is playing way better then you thought he would... way better then a lot of the people in this thread thought he would in year 3...

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31853&hl=rafalski%20redwings&st=0

Edited by squishyx