GDT: Rangers @ Devils

MadDog2020

This game was lost due to really bad luck for the Devils and really fortunate luck for the Rangers. That game should have been 3-0 going into the 2nd period. This is a problem (not burying chances) but they played so well I'm not going to get strung out over it.

Of course I hate losing to the Rangers and that fvcking douchenozzle Avery, who I wished would get a little "Niedermayer hello" from Peters and his stick. At least then I'd respect the guy (Peters, that is).

Jacques Cousteau not using Zubrus last night is inexcusable. Rolston, other than his one massive shot on net that typically either goes SUPER WIDE or RIGHT INTO THE GOALIE'S CHEST, was useless again tonight. I really have to wonder what Langenbrunner would be able to do with Travis and Ilya. I like Zubrus centering Elias and Parise. I think there's a nice mix of "stuff" there that could generate chances.

Elias is playing the best he has (face-offs and terrible shoot out attempts aside) all year.

I like how this team is playing with less than 10 games to go, but now it's up to Frenchy to make the appropriate tweaks and TEACH THIS TEAM HOW TO PLAY IN THE LAST 100 SECONDS WHEN THE GOALIE IS PULLED.

:cheers:

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

zubrus should be getting 12-15 minutes of ice time at the very least, but to me even more important than the power play is the shift after a power play is over, when the rangers can get gaborik back on the ice. i'm okay with holding a player back to play at even strength after the power play, because otherwise it is just the devils' worst players out there or they're double-shifting fatigued legs. it's a very important shift. i'll watch for this in future games.

zubrus should be getting 12-15 minutes of ice time at the very least, but to me even more important than the power play is the shift after a power play is over, when the rangers can get gaborik back on the ice. i'm okay with holding a player back to play at even strength after the power play, because otherwise it is just the devils' worst players out there or they're double-shifting fatigued legs. it's a very important shift. i'll watch for this in future games.

just want to point out that the 4th line was who got sent out (WITH PETERS) after the PP - zubrus did not see that shift which I would at least understand.

just want to point out that the 4th line was who got sent out (WITH PETERS) after the PP - zubrus did not see that shift which I would at least understand.

this could have only been true in the 2nd period after the avery penalty. even then, i don't think it's correct, but i'll admit i don't remember.

Edited by Triumph

I don't understand how some of you are happy that they played better then the Rangers. They're supposed to be better then them. You guys watched the game, the Rangers were terrible last night. Not saying they didn't try but they were pretty awful aside from that 2nd period. I think its pretty sad that the Devils only scored 3 to be honest. It was breakdown after breakdown. Yet they still found a way to lose.

I'm just done with looking at the bright side with this team. I don't care how few times they gave up a goal late in the 3rd period this season. The point is they did it last and you can't have sh!t like that happening at this time of the year. Is last year not fresh in your minds? What was the plan on the 2nd and 3rd Ranger goals last night? Why the hell is Zubrus only playing ten minutes a game? Why must Lemaire constantly screw around with the lines and jerk the powerplay around? Why is it that the Devils always seem to have "bad luck"?

Look, the team is scoring and doing some things well but I just can't see this team executing nearly enough to do serious damage when it counts. I see too many of the same mistakes and issues that have been a problem in teh past. I'd feel much better about their chances but I have lost a lot of faith in the coaching over the last few weeks. 9 games to get this team running like a well oiled machine? Just don't see it happening.

Edited by Sickman

I don't understand how some of you are happy that they played better then the Rangers. They're supposed to be better then them. You guys watched the game, the Rangers were terrible last night. Not saying they didn't try but they were pretty awful aside from that 2nd period. I think its pretty sad that the Devils only scored 3 to be honest. It was breakdown after breakdown. Yet they still found a way to lose.

I'm just done with looking at the bright side with this team. I don't care how few times they gave up a goal late in the 3rd period this season. The point is they did it last and you can't have sh!t like that happening at this time of the year. Is last year not fresh in your minds? What was the plan on the 2nd and 3rd Ranger goals last night? Why the hell is Zubrus only playing ten minutes a game? Why must Lemaire constantly screw around with the lines and jerk the powerplay around? Why is it that the Devils always seem to have "bad luck"?

Look, the team is scoring and doing some things well but I just can't see this team executing nearly enough to do serious damage when it counts. I see too many of teh same mistakes and issues that have been a problem in teh past. I'd feel much better about their chances but I have lost a lot of faith in the coaching over teh last few weeks. 9 games to get this team running like a well oiled machine? Just don't see it happening.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned with is the defense. It seems they've given up a lot of goals lately - which is no bueno. I'm not sure how to fix that without watching more closely. Perhaps Sal/Greene are just slumping a little but right now - but again I didn't watch last night.

They don't always seems to have bad luck. I think you're crying wolf here. I'm not sure anyoen is saying their puck luck stinks.

9 games to get the machine running? That's the funny thing about the playoffs - it doesn't take any games to get the machine running. Sometimes it just starts on its own whenever. You're overrating "this time of year."

Like I said last night, look at Chicago......imagine this place had they given up 8 to Columbus?

Also, in 2000 the team played wishy washy until that OT win against Florida....then it was off from there.

Lemaire is trying to find the right combinations with his lines - I don't see the issue in that. It's really not that big of a deal. These guys are used to it. Teams require different looks at different times. We don't have an "A" line.

They scored 6 the game before, and 3 last night - the line don't sound too horrible to me. They've given up 6 - which is problematic - but I'm not sure how much can be attributed to the new lines or whatever else.

The only Lemaire gripe I really have is not using Jamie in the shootout. But whatever, that's small potatos.

The PP might be the only point of frustration I agree with you on. We had a good PP last season that scored timely with Jamie on the point with Martin - Elias/Travis/Zach up front.

For how bad it is - we still are ranked not terribly in the PP department.

more like the rangers found a way to win.

the devils don't always seem to have bad luck. look at the toronto game, the first kovalchuk game, for instance.

Look, the team is scoring and doing some things well but I just can't see this team executing nearly enough to do serious damage when it counts. I see too many of the same mistakes and issues that have been a problem in teh past. I'd feel much better about their chances but I have lost a lot of faith in the coaching over the last few weeks. 9 games to get this team running like a well oiled machine? Just don't see it happening.

the team played an absolutely stellar game last night. defensive breakdowns were an issue (salvador was so bad that i have to imagine he is hurt or something, he was just dreadful), but the devils generated a ton of scoring chances, and when you do that, you're going to score goals.

i think the devils have gotten bad luck in 2 games and excellent luck in another one. they're 1-1-1 in those games. sometimes that's how it goes.

this could have only been true in the 2nd period after the avery penalty. even then, i don't think it's correct, but i'll admit i don't remember.

it was the 2nd period. i ASSURE you it is correct and the rangers owned the shift (of course). i said it to my wife (thankfully I was wrong) that the rangers were going to score and it's lemaire's fault for having these clowns out there at this time.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned with is the defense. It seems they've given up a lot of goals lately - which is no bueno. I'm not sure how to fix that without watching more closely. Perhaps Sal/Greene are just slumping a little but right now - but again I didn't watch last night.

The D has been better as of late even though they are still giving up a decent amount of goals. It is what it is. These are their horses for better or worse.

They don't always seems to have bad luck. I think you're crying wolf here. I'm not sure anyoen is saying their puck luck stinks.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "We just didn't get the bounces." "Their goalie played a great game" I would have made like 4 bucks off of last night's game alone.

9 games to get the machine running? That's the funny thing about the playoffs - it doesn't take any games to get the machine running. Sometimes it just starts on its own whenever. You're overrating "this time of year."

Maybe I am but I just can't see a team going very far playing like this. The PP is a mess and we still have no idea what lines work. Obviously the injuries have played a big role in that but again it is what it is. My major concern is you never know what you are going to get with the team from game to game.

Like I said last night, look at Chicago......imagine this place had they given up 8 to Columbus?

I would have been leading the parade.

Also, in 2000 the team played wishy washy until that OT win against Florida....then it was off from there.

This is a major slight to the 2000 team. Consider both team playing to their potential. That 2000 team would kick the snot out of this team. You said defense was a concern right? That 2000 team was stacked from top to bottom. They were struggling too but I can't see how you would have the same confidence in this team turning it around like that.

Lemaire is trying to find the right combinations with his lines - I don't see the issue in that. It's really not that big of a deal. These guys are used to it. Teams require different looks at different times. We don't have an "A" line.

I can agree with trying to find the line combos. That is fair enough. But I still don't trust Lemaire's decision making. I know I'm not alone on this.

They scored 6 the game before, and 3 last night - the line don't sound too horrible to me. They've given up 6 - which is problematic - but I'm not sure how much can be attributed to the new lines or whatever else.

Scoring has been better but they probably should have had 6 again last night. They had a ridiculous amount of good chances. Either way this team is just as likely to get shut out as well. Can't stop those hot back up goalies sometimes.

The only Lemaire gripe I really have is not using Jamie in the shootout. But whatever, that's small potatos.

Agreed

The PP might be the only point of frustration I agree with you on. We had a good PP last season that scored timely with Jamie on the point with Martin - Elias/Travis/Zach up front.

For how bad it is - we still are ranked not terribly in the PP department.

Well this is because they were very strong the first half of the year and like everything elese it has gone downhill since. I don't know what happened but the PP is a mess and all you can hope is that it gets back on track. 2 1/2 months and counting...

Edited by Sickman

that 2000 team played like absolute dogsh!t down the stretch. they were still only 5-4-0 when robinson took over, and had won something like 6 of their last 20 under ftorek. they were dreadful.

i have seen new jersey put together 3 pretty good games in a row. when they start to play bad again, that's when i'll get concerned.

Edited by Triumph

more like the rangers found a way to win.

the devils don't always seem to have bad luck. look at the toronto game, the first kovalchuk game, for instance.

the team played an absolutely stellar game last night. defensive breakdowns were an issue (salvador was so bad that i have to imagine he is hurt or something, he was just dreadful), but the devils generated a ton of scoring chances, and when you do that, you're going to score goals.

i think the devils have gotten bad luck in 2 games and excellent luck in another one. they're 1-1-1 in those games. sometimes that's how it goes.

Well if the Devils are going to let a team like the Rangers find ways to win against them, then I really like their chances when they play a decent team.

It was mentioned a few posts up but I also felt better about last years team heading into the playoffs and I'm worried that I can possibly feel that way. You seem to be convinced that they'll be able to score a good amount of goals. I hope you're right because they're really going to need it.

Edited by Sickman

i am fine with outplaying teams and still losing. well, 'fine' is relative of course. truth is the devils got outplayed in games 4,5, and 6 last year by carolina, and probably significantly in both 4 and 6. since the jussi jokinen goal in game 4, people have forgotten that the devils got absolutely blown off the ice in that game and went down 3-0 early and basically got no scoring chances all game long, but just scored on the scoring chances they did get.

Edited by Triumph

I think some of the gripes about Lemaire are legit (5-forward PP, losing Zubrus on the bench).

But here's what I'm looking for: Will they play with the same jump and sharpness in the next game? This team has been too uneven.

Give some credit to Lundqvist. He was on it. Yeah, we've never seen that before. :rolleyes:

i am fine with outplaying teams and still losing. well, 'fine' is relative of course. truth is the devils got outplayed in games 4,5, and 6 last year by carolina, and probably significantly in both 4 and 6. since the jussi jokinen goal in game 4, people have forgotten that the devils got absolutely blown off the ice in that game and went down 3-0 early and basically got no scoring chances all game long, but just scored on the scoring chances they did get.

You're 110% spot on about the Carolina series. This is why Sutter will always be in my doghouse. I feel he is as much to blame as anyone for that nonsense. Carolina made adjustments and the Devils just kept plugging along.

As for the playing fine and losing, I usually feel that way but I have lost patience. If you play well and lose normally the wins will eventaully come. But this is nearly 3 months of up and down and I'm not confident its going to level off. Now its time for results. Its just extremely frustrating considering that this team has potential to be very good.

Well if the Devils are going to let a team like the Rangers find ways to win against them, then I really like their chances when they play a decent team.

It was mentioned a few posts up but I also felt better about last years team heading into the playoffs and I'm worried that I can possibly feel that way. You seem to be convinced that they'll be able to score a good amount of goals. I hope you're right because they're really going to need it.

This goes back to the lack-of-credit thing...the Devils didn't "let" the Rangers find ways to win...the Rangers were desperately trying to find a way to win and managed to do it. In ways it was excrutiating, but it happens. And the Penguins were a decent team last time I checked. We all share concerns about this Devils team on some levels, but I'm not going to blow up this particular loss against a hated rival and turn that into "the Devils are in trouble when they play a decent team".

Tri, the 2000 Devils went 4-4 under Robinson...and they couldn't have been more uneven...two of the four wins were blowouts against the Isles and Thrashers, and another one came against Tampa...I remember thinking the Devils would be lucky to get out fo the first round that year. In '99, the Devils 13-3-3 down the stretch, and went bye-bye in the first round. As much as we all want to correlate stretch play to playoff performance, it's far from an exact science. But they are looking better recently, for what it's worth.

i have seen new jersey put together 3 pretty good games in a row. when they start to play bad again, that's when i'll get concerned.

I agree with this.

Sickman, the Rangers were playing their SCF game 7 last night. They left it all out there and had their goalie stand on his head. So, the fact that we are a better team than them and are supposed to beat them loses some significance considering these factors.

Btw, last night was the club's 12th sellout of the season. Thats gotta be a franchise record. I think if you eliminate the snowday agst philly then our average attendance could end up surpassing last years! Tremendous considering the economy and woeful playoff exit last year...

Edited by devlman

besides the fact that he's given up 8 goals to the devils in his last 2 meetings..

Lundqvist's lifetime numbers against the Devils: 17-4-5, 1.75 GAA, .938 save%

And even though this season's GAA against the Devils was 2.45, he still stopped shots at a .932 clip...despite facing an average of 34 shots/game. And despite giving up three last night, he was a big reason the Rangers won the game.

I don't think the Devils have turned the corner re: Lundqvist yet.

Lundqvist's lifetime numbers against the Devils: 17-4-5, 1.75 GAA, .938 save%

And even though this season's GAA against the Devils was 2.45, he still stopped shots at a .932 clip...despite facing an average of 34 shots/game. And despite giving up three last night, he was a big reason the Rangers won the game.

I don't think the Devils have turned the corner re: Lundqvist yet.

There's no excuse for it, either. Queen has been in the league 5 seasons now. You either know his weaknesses by now or you don't. We don't know if the coaches preach this to the players, but sometimes you swear the Devils never look at a tape of Queen at all to study him.

It's not a lack of talent with this group (although for a few seasons it looked it). I just think the Devils as a team over the last 5 seasons have lacked smart shooters (or finishers) to beat him or expose his weaknesses. There's no excuse for that, because this team does have a players with good hands and good shots where you would think this would not be a problem like it has been. An example of this was Elias' SH breakaway. There is no way that works, even if Elias read poke check or not. Then Elias goes by the book and blows one by him glove side. That's the frustrating and inconsistent part where you feel they lack the awareness one time and then exploit him the next.

They are getting better, they are just not finishing. They ran him a few weeks ago. Last night, they scored two goals where they went high. The sure goal Lags missed was another good play. Parise's no goal he was in Queen's face. Kovalchuk went to the net and scored. All good things that if done consistently, will yield results.

However, they also had too many times where they tried going between the legs or down low. They also had another terrible SO showing.

The way is there. It's just up to the Devils to smarten up and do it.

There's no excuse for it, either. Queen has been in the league 5 seasons now. You either know his weaknesses by now or you don't. We don't know if the coaches preach this to the players, but sometimes you swear the Devils never look at a tape of Queen at all to study him.

You know what?...Henrik's good. Marty's been in the league 20 years - by your logic everyone should've figured him out by now.

It's not a lack of talent with this group (although for a few seasons it looked it). I just think the Devils as a team over the last 5 seasons have lacked smart shooters (or finishers) to beat him or expose his weaknesses. There's no excuse for that, because this team does have a players with good hands and good shots where you would think this would not be a problem like it has been. An example of this was Elias' SH breakaway. There is no way that works, even if Elias read poke check or not. Then Elias goes by the book and blows one by him glove side. That's the frustrating and inconsistent part where you feel they lack the awareness one time and then exploit him the next.

They are getting better, they are just not finishing. They ran him a few weeks ago. Last night, they scored two goals where they went high. The sure goal Lags missed was another good play. Parise's no goal he was in Queen's face. Kovalchuk went to the net and scored. All good things that if done consistently, will yield results.

However, they also had too many times where they tried going between the legs or down low. They also had another terrible SO showing.

The way is there. It's just up to the Devils to smarten up and do it.

Not finishing? They scored 3 goals last night, 6 the game before. Elias didn't pick that corner because Henry's in the net. That's where you put that shot no matter who's in net.

They are above .500 in the shootout this season, and many more over the years - I don't think its fair to crit the skills competition. It's a crapshoot.

Edited by HellOnICE