Kovalchuk gives Devils 'Big Shot' at title

msweet

Lou Lamoriello has a tiger by the tail, and if he lets go of Kovalchuk, it could come back to bite him. Imagine the fan fallout should the Rangers sign him up, as they did Scott Gomez and Bobby Holik.

The Devils have not won a Cup since they lost Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski and Gomez to free agency. They probably never possessed an offensive star in his prime, like Kovalchuk, in their history. He surely never had a team with such immediate aspirations or possibilities.

Kovalchuk has yet to win a playoff game, and this seems his chance. If the Devils are serious about promoting themselves to the status they've earned, but never embraced, he is their chance.

Still, it is believed that not much has happened regarding negotiations. The Devils' failure to move in advance of July 1 has been blamed by many departees as a needless launch towards free agency.

Atlanta traded Kovalchuk after he turned down a long-term deal worth more than $10 million per season. What may not have been understood is that he was telling the Thrashers that he wouldn't stay even for that much money.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/kovalchuk_gives_devs_big_shot_at_45UcEVbO9FUEFqN4TumJfK#ixzz0jfATBHIK

Kovalchuk is not Bobby Holik. He is also not a lazy Gomez that did well under a Devils system and then sucked everywhere else. Kovy is an elite player that was an elite player on a BAD team in Atlanta. He makes any team he goes to better and has no problem scoring 50 goals without anyone to feed him the puck,.

Die hard fans such as us won't have too much of a problem losing Kovy under the scenario that we understand we have to keep Parise.

But the Devils image will take another hit by the league and casual fans trying to get interested in the sport.

I think Tri would have to figure this out - but given the current cap stays where it is - could the Devils sign Kovy and Martin and be over the cap by the alotted amount at the same time for a duration of the summer?

i'm trying not to discuss kovalchuk re-signing scenarios until the devils' season is over - i just want to enjoy the time where ilya kovalchuk is definitely a new jersey devil.

I think Tri would have to figure this out - but given the current cap stays where it is - could the Devils sign Kovy and Martin and be over the cap by the alotted amount at the same time for a duration of the summer?

I think as long as they are only 10% over by training camp they are fine. So, if the cap is 56.8, they can be at 62.48 until the season starts.

in short, yes they could - even KEEPING rolston. that figures $8MM to Kovalchuk and $5MM to Martin.

i'm trying not to discuss kovalchuk re-signing scenarios until the devils' season is over - i just want to enjoy the time where ilya kovalchuk is definitely a new jersey devil.

i hear you on this but how can this be ignored - not easily.

well i said i'm trying, not that i would succeed. there will be PLENTY of time to discuss kovalchuk re-signing scenarios - it will be like the end of WarGames where joshua goes through all the different nuclear scenarios - the pandolfo buyout, salvador demotion, rolston gambit, etc.

well i said i'm trying, not that i would succeed. there will be PLENTY of time to discuss kovalchuk re-signing scenarios - it will be like the end of WarGames where joshua goes through all the different nuclear scenarios - the pandolfo buyout, salvador demotion, rolston gambit, etc.

Good one...that made me chuckle...I actually saw that movie in the theater (and way too many times since). I could hear the music from that scene as I read this...classic.

Still, it is believed that not much has happened regarding negotiations. The Devils' failure to move in advance of July 1 has been blamed by many departees as a needless launch towards free agency. - (N)Єverson

I know and everyone else knows what (N)Єverson's all about, which is why I usually ignore him, but does Mark know how to read a friggin' calendar?

Today is March 30. Tomorrow is March 31.

After that comes April (30 days).

After that comes May (31 days).

Then...wait for it...June (30 days).

Then finally...BAM!...comes July 1.

By my math, including today, Lou has 2+30+31+30=93 days left to move in advance of July 1. Settle down there Marky Mark.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

the problem with this analogy is that joshua realizes that he shouldn't even play - they're all zero sum outcomes.

Martin will not be getting 5 million dollars.

he most definitely is. i would bet he'll get at least 5 offers that have a cap hit of at least $5MM.

he most definitely is. i would bet he'll get at least 5 offers that have a cap hit of at least $5MM.

i don't know about this. not because of martin's injury, but because a lot of teams are jammed up defensively and probably aren't going to make an offer like that. there's a lot of teams who are out of the running right away.

as soon as i think i'm out, they drag me back in...

the reason we have 13 playoffs in a row is because we don't just give money to whomever asks. if martin wants his 5M, he will go to where ever he likes. devils system dictates that you take a pay cut as a sign of good will.

if martin goes, we can afford kovy, and listen to all the talks of how amazing our signing was but we lost the man that makes it all possible, the man we can't possibly make the playoffs without: the almight martin.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

i don't know about this. not because of martin's injury, but because a lot of teams are jammed up defensively and probably aren't going to make an offer like that. there's a lot of teams who are out of the running right away.

as soon as i think i'm out, they drag me back in...

here's teams with cap space and need for a defenseman of his caliber:

devils.

rangers ( i believe your blog suggested it)

minnesotta(would have been much more likely before barker trade but could still happen)

carolina

atlanta

colorado

dallas

nashville (maybe)

islanders

st. louis

now, you could argue that he's just not going to be interested in 1/2 those teams because they're not great and or ideal locations but he'll still get the offers and players very rarely turn down $. i still assert that he holds a grudge about how his surgery/injury was handled this year.

the reason we have 13 playoffs in a row is because we don't just give money to whomever asks. if martin wants his 5M, he will go to where ever he likes. devils system dictates that you take a pay cut as a sign of good will.

if martin goes, we can afford kovy, and listen to all the talks of how amazing our signing was but we lost the man that makes it all possible, the man we can't possibly make the playoffs without: the almight martin.

what paycut did elias take? what paycut did oduya take? what paycut did rolston take? what paycut did zubrus take? the devils do not dictate that someone take less than their value. some players like marty choose to do that but that doesn't mean anything w/ respect to paul martin. this is not an easily replaceable player - it's just not.

i think the rangers are unlikely to do it simply because they need a tougher defense and martin doesn't provide that. my blog suggested it, if the rangers can get rid of roszival and redden and replace one of them with a player who is both tough and can be a power play quarterback, which was a total best case scenario for them.

minnesota is out, they are already spending a ton of money on defense. they re-signed zidlicky and now have barker. if they signed martin at $5M per, they are paying someone $3M to be on the back pairing, which is foolishness.

atlanta has no money. dallas has no money. nashville has no money. long island has no money. i find it unlikely that any of these teams submit offers. so devils, carolina, colorado, st. louis - and i'm skeptical about st. louis. i'm also a little surprised you didn't include pittsburgh, who i would certainly put there.

Edited by Triumph

I think Kovy definately wants to stay here. He knows that like the Yankees when you play for the Devils you have a chance to win the Stanley Cup every year. I agree we shouldn't be overly accomedating; however we do need to try and meet him half way. Aslong as we don't sacrfice Parise we should resign him without question. Rolston I have no problem letting go.

I also agree with njdevil26; this is a chance for the Devils to have an emerging star, if not already a star, in Zach Parise, one of the Top 5 players in the NHL in Kovalchuck, and a legendary goalie in Brodeur all on the same team in the largest media market in country! Not to mention this as talented a team since we won it all in 2003. The Devils will get much love from the NHL and will gain casual sports fans I have no doubt!! :evil:

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673

what paycut did elias take? what paycut did oduya take? what paycut did rolston take? what paycut did zubrus take? the devils do not dictate that someone take less than their value. some players like marty choose to do that but that doesn't mean anything w/ respect to paul martin. this is not an easily replaceable player - it's just not.

Elias did supposedly take less in dollars to stay and get a NMC, I believe. Oduya didn't get a huge contract so I'm not sure why he would be expected to take a discount, also it was his first big payday of his life. The other two were UFAs coming from other teams so I wouldn't expect them to take a discount anyway.