New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils fans and player should use this as motivation. Im hoping we win the cup this year at home

I am going to go to that Stanley Cup clinching game with a brick and throw it right at Bettmans tiny little mouse fvck head once he starts talking.

I am going to go to that Stanley Cup clinching game with a brick and throw it right at Bettmans tiny little mouse fvck head once he starts talking.

rather than get arrested, lets hiss the whole time, bring that trend back.

besides, you'd wanna see the cup get hoisted by us anyway and then Kovy check him out of the way to take it from Marty

Edited by jagknife

Ya, but the concept is the same, one person getting away with something wrong doesn't make you doing something wrong ok.

Going to arbitration is better for the NHLPA, rules are more relaxed so stuff like Hossa's contract will probably hold more weight in arbitration than in a lawsuit.

This actually is much different. The parties will be arguing over the meaning of the terms of a contract. Assuming that the terms are ambiguous, the parties can introduce industry custom to prove their meaning. The Hossa, Pronger, Luongo contracts would be proof of an interpretation favorable to the Devils.

In addition, where a contract is involved, a party can not enforce its terms arbitrarily (it's called the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing).

Maybe this goes to arbitration, but I think it's more likely that Lou/Vanderbeek go to Bettman and ask him where the line is. It gets sticky if the Devils can't live with the cap hit associated with a contract that the NHL will approve.

You know, if there is one thing I wish we did differently, I wish Lou would have kept his mouth shut today. The league can now quote him as saying that the contract is not good for the NHL and should be abolished.

But there's also a difference between saying it's not good for the NHL or is an "eye-roller" of a contract and that it's illegal/against the rules.

Owners surely hate the fact that players command salaries upwards of $10mil per season, and it could be argued that such high salaries are bad for the NHL, but they're perfectly within the framework of the CBA.

(not the best example, but I'm exhausted and hangin' on by a thread at this point, sorry... hope you can pick up my meaning)

rather than get arrested, lets hiss the whole time, bring that trend back.

besides, you'd wanna see the cup get hoisted by us anyway and then Kovy check him out of the way to take it from Marty

HAHAHAH... we can shake our fists in anger :giggle:

Well the NHLPA would be the one taking the NHL to the arbiter. I don't believe it really matters who takes who though since it's arbitration, the arbiter will decide who makes the stronger case, it's not a situation of needing a massive amount of evidence to win, one side will just make a better argument that their position is stronger.

That was my understanding of arbitration in general. You'd think a more specific process would be ironed out in large contracts like a professional league CBA. I guess it'd just mean more unnecessary contentious issues in CBA negotiations on how the arbitration process works out. Still, if it should go that far it's a bit unsettling that the fate of the biggest signing in our history rests on however a random arbitrator chooses to interpret a vague CBA rule and their view of precedent.

This actually is much different. The parties will be arguing over the meaning of the terms of a contract. Assuming that the terms are ambiguous, the parties can introduce industry custom to prove their meaning. The Hossa, Pronger, Luongo contracts would be proof of an interpretation favorable to the Devils.

In addition, where a contract is involved, a party can not enforce its terms arbitrarily (it's called the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing).

Maybe this goes to arbitration, but I think it's more likely that Lou/Vanderbeek go to Bettman and ask him where the line is. It gets sticky if the Devils can't live with the cap hit associated with a contract that the NHL will approve.

This is pretty black and white though. This isn't arcane arguing over ambiguous terms, this is the league using a clearly stated rule and having an easily seen point, that the players age is too old at the end of the contract. Since there are no contracts that take a player to this age the comparables of Hossa/Luongo will not be strong.

The contract never existed so the league is not enforcing their rules arbitrarily on a contract. It never existed so nothing was ever done to it, you can't contest a contract if it never came into existence.

The argument comes with whether can prove it's supposition that nobody believes this contract will be played out until Kovy is 44. I don't know which sides holds a better argument, but I think I see a stronger case made by the league since only 2 forwards all time have ever done so. So it's really not a contract argument, it's a powers argument at it's base. The NHLPA would need to try and make it be about the contract, but it's really not, it's about the leagues use of a stated power.

I also think the Devils will try to work this out without arbitration, if it's the years, which it seems to be, it seems like something that can be worked around.

Edited by Devils731

This is why I am a Devil fan and NOT an NHL fan.

I'm tired of getting crapped on.

It's been this way since before the first puck dropped, having to put out huge checks to the rivals.

The contract is a joke, but the league is a bigger joke for ignoring the other joke contracts until now.

Hmm, this smells fishy on a lot of fronts... for one, ESPN snubbed their noses at the press conference

It sure is lighting up the internet traffic scoreboard...

Betcha the LA Kings BeeAtched about the contract as well as complaints from other clubs/owners

logo3_normal.jpg NHLPlayerNews #NHL #SPORTS Wait a second: Kovalchuk deal axed: A person familiar with the issues raised says... http://bit.ly/9pxsnq http://bit.ly/4EyCn6

Man TSN.ca has the Devs plastered all over... the PR is outstanding!

KovyDealRejected.png

TSN Insider Darren Dreger explains that the deal was rejected due to the fact that the NHL does not believe that either Kovalchuk nor the Devils expected the 2004 Rocket Richard trophy winner would be playing near end of the contract and that it is a case of artificially lowering the annual average value of the contract.

Interesting wording. I don't see how the NHL would believe Kovalchuk wouldn't be playing near his 44th birthday while believing Luongo and Pronger would play near their 43rd and Hossa near his 42nd.

Or maybe I'm just tired and am reading into things that aren't really there.

STUPID NHL! CAN'T YOU DO THIS DURING THE DAY AND NOT JUST AS I'M GOING TO BED! :rant:

OK, I'm done. See ya'll tomorrow.

Sorry I'm late. I hope it's already been said throughout this thread that this is bullsh!t. Someone in NHL management has an axe to grind with the Devils (who could that be?) and decided to reject this contract. It's probably been said already but if this was the Kings with the same offer it would be a done deal.

Sorry I'm late. I hope it's already been said throughout this thread that this is bullsh!t. Someone in NHL management has an axe to grind with the Devils (who could that be?) and decided to reject this contract. It's probably been said already but if this was the Kings with the same offer it would be a done deal.

could this be related to the stevens/shanahan fiasco in early 90's

yep, my ignorant brother is a blasphemous PENGUINS fan. He always says I'm not a hockey fan, just a Devils fan. You're DAMN RIGHT. All the $hit we get year after year, the money we had to pay the rangers to even exist, the fact that 3 CUPS isn't cause for 100x more respect than we get and the whining and bitching about our "trap" and the rules to prevent our players from what we do best, just because others can't. If nothing else, it comes down to G.D. JERSEY PRIDE! If you're in love with the Ranjerks, move to New York, if you're a Penguin Pinhead, move to Pittsburgh. It's not even just hockey, I also have to feel a certain amount of rage anytime NJ is the butt of off the cuff TV/movie jokes, regarded as "dirty" because all people see is the Newark port and think the whole state is like that, and of course the classic "what exit" remark you get from New Yorkers.