New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remove two years off the deal, take the 6.8 cap hit and call it a day

OR move some of the $11.5M to the back end of the remaining 5 or 6-years of the contract so it looks more reasonable. If Lou done this from the beginning IMO the NHL and bettman would have never rejected this 17-year contract. The last 6-years of the contract is what the NHL and Bettman did not like. It is a big decrease in pay. Move some of the $11.5M to the back end of the contract then it will be approved and call it a day. Lou will get this resolved and Kovy will still be a Devil.

Edited by SatansDevils

There is no guarantee a grievance process is even started. I haven't seen it clearly stated what happens during the period of 5 days the NHLPA has to file the grievance. I would think it would be said that the player is still held to the team whose contract was denied, if that was the case since the Devils-Kovy contract never officially existed in the NHL eyes. So since it doesn't specifically state the player is beholden during the 5 day period, I would think he is free once the contract is voided.

I don't think it matters though, it looks like a grievance will be filed and I don't think Kovalchuk is going to another team even if he was an UFA again this moment.

as I understand it, the NHLPA has 5-days from notice of rejection to appeal.

An arbitrator is then assigned & given 48-hours to rule.

6.8 isn't nearly as friendly a cap hit..

As usual, I haven't done the math, but relative to the contracts that the team would have to unload anyway, I don't think it makes a difference. That's especially so if the plan is to unload Rolston come hell or highwater.

as I understand it, the NHLPA has 5-days from notice of rejection to appeal.

An arbitrator is then assigned & given 48-hours to rule.

Ya, my supposition was that unless it was explicitly stated that the player would not be beholden to the team since a grievance may not be filed in that 5 day period. Tri pointed out where it is explicitly stated to be so.

and that just makes logical sense anyway, imagine what a mess would exist if the player signed with another team and the NHLPA went to bat for his old contract.

Well the player would know what is going on. He wouldn't ask the NHLPA to grieve and then go out and sign another contract.

hey great someone posts an Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor on the board and people think it's legit - well done

at times like this there are a lot of people who come around who aren't that familiar with salary caps and contracts and Єklund (2.3% accurate)

Well, I can only speak for myself as a newbie here, but my first impressions of this Єklund (2.3% accurate) bloke are...what a dork. Is he being serious? Does anybody read his blog? I certainly won't after what I've just seen.

"I have it from a great source..."

"...today, perhaps within hours, I expect to have more news..."

"Another rumor that just broke..."

"I have heard the Maple Leafs are the real team to watch."

"I was out last night with a good source and have been putting together info all morning..."

All of these are classic signs of just plainly making stuff up. A bit like when proper journalists get lazy and are not 100 per cent sure. They end up using language such as "it is understood that..." or "it is believed that..." Technically they are not lying because they are speaking about themselves. Just like this Єklund (2.3% accurate) fella.

Well here's a rumour for Єklund (2.3% accurate):

It is understood that the hockey blogger who goes by the name "Єklund" is as useful as Anne Frank's drumkit.

Edited by Chambers Scored Twice

I'm interested to see what kind of statement Grossman's office is going to come up with. It will be released shortly.

Do you know Grossman's going to release a statement, or just speculating. Neither would surprise me.

EDIT: Nevermind, TG says will be issuing a statement. Party on Wayne.

Edited by Daniel

What do you mean another team? ohmy.gif

He said: "I'll be a Devil for life" and he'll be!

Some guys are just jealous of his big smile and his "luxurious hair" - somebody used this term once, I guess.

IF he did, sure why not. I would boo anyone not in a Devils uniform. LOL.

I dont think he will not be Devil. I am sure Lou and company will alter this contract just enough to make the NHL happy.

OR move some of the $11.5M to the back end of the remaining 5 or 6-years of the contract so it looks more reasonable. If Lou done this from the beginning IMO the NHL and bettman would have never rejected this 17-year contract. The last 6-years of the contract is what the NHL and Bettman did not like. It is a big decrease in pay. Move some of the $11.5M to the back end of the contract then it will be approved and call it a day. Lou will get this resolved and Kovy will still be a Devil.

I think it's pretty arrogant on your part to continue to post as if you're absolved from explaining yourself after the display you carried out.

You have some explaining to do before you carry on any further around here. Time to grow up, Ray.

What do you mean another team? ohmy.gif

He said: "I'll be a Devil for life" and he'll be!

Some guys are just jealous of his big smile and his "luxurious hair" - somebody used this term once, I guess.

He does have luxurious hair, doesnt he lol

and now ESPN is saying that Lou knew this deal was going to be rejected before the press conference?

If this is true that might indicate a bit of a rift between Lou and JVB

Edited by devlman

Is Єklund (2.3% accurate) an idiot or is it just me? Isn't Kovalchuk's contract valid until the 5 day grievance-period is over / after it goes to arbitration? Єklund (2.3% accurate) is saying Kovalchuk is a UFA right now.

when has that stopped Єklund (2.3% accurate) from saying anything? Єklund (2.3% accurate) probably thinks the CBA is that league isiah thomas ran into the ground; he's confused why people keep mentioning it.

Knowing Cindy and Ovila, they said ohhh Gary ohhh gary please honey dont let kovy play in the Atlantic if you do i will never sleep with you again sweet freaks!!! (Oh god I just grossed myself out)lol

This has no chance of pushing Kovy away from being a Devil for Life so get over it Buttman!