Anyone notice how bad Kovy played tonight?

trailblazer

You make some fair points...do you really see him busting his ass though? And making big strides? Maybe I'm so frustrated with how it's gone with him that I'm not seeing that, but I just don't think to myself, "Man he's really busting his ass" when I watch him play.

In some ways my frustration with Kovy is also with the Devils for signing him to that mega-contract. What we agree on is that Kovalchuk needs to improve on a number of weaknesses in his game. In a lot of ways that makes Kovy a $100-million project, when at this price tag I feel like he's the one guy you should be able to plug in and not have to worry about too much...the Devils shouldn't have to concern themselves with sanding off so many rough edges. Of course, anything can happen no matter how much of a slam-dunk a player acquisition might appear to be, but for $100 million I think the player should come in pretty much completely polished.

With a massive contract like the one Kovy has, he really has a magnifying glass over him. his spotlight is definitely bigger because we do expect more from him.. frankly, we have the right to, but i think a little patience from us will pay off.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make some fair points...do you really see him busting his ass though? And making big strides? Maybe I'm so frustrated with how it's gone with him that I'm not seeing that, but I just don't think to myself, "Man he's really busting his ass" when I watch him play.

I do. His work along the boards surprises me every time I see it, both because I never expect it and because it isn't terrible. I've seen him, multiple times in the same game even, busting a backcheck so quickly that it breaks up an odd-man rush before it even forms (last guy I saw do that with any regularity was the good Nieds). Watch his 2-on-1 with Vasyunov and tell me he could have played it any better. Then look at the patience and touch he displayed when setting up Tedenby's breakaway.

These are all things I wasn't expecting of him. That isn't to say he isn't still without faults. He still looks lost in the defensive zone and still makes some bad turnovers. Even the things he's addressed still need fine-tuning. There is definitely work to be done, and that's why I'm glad he's already taken the initiative to address so much. And maybe, just maybe, the man many (self included) were ready to fire deserves some credit. Convincing a $100M superstar that he needs a lot of work can't be easy.

In some ways my frustration with Kovy is also with the Devils for signing him to that mega-contract. What we agree on is that Kovalchuk needs to improve on a number of weaknesses in his game. In a lot of ways that makes Kovy a $100-million project, when at this price tag I feel like he's the one guy you should be able to plug in and not have to worry about too much...the Devils shouldn't have to concern themselves with sanding off so many rough edges. Of course, anything can happen no matter how much of a slam-dunk a player acquisition might appear to be, but for $100 million I think the player should come in pretty much completely polished.

Now we're talking fair value vs market value, and those two numbers are rarely in the same neighborhood. For $100M you'd hope to get the perfect player who can also turn water into wine, but that player doesn't exist. Instead, we have an elite scorer with great wheels and size who happens to be in his mid-20s. He has plenty of rough edges, but we also have plenty of time to sand them down. The sawdust is already starting to pile up.

With a massive contract like the one Kovy has, he really has a magnifying glass over him. his spotlight is definitely bigger because we do expect more from him.. frankly, we have the right to, but i think a little patience from us will pay off.

Great point

There you go guys, i like that better

you can see that the guy is trying to make plays and adjust his play, its gonna take time

i dont care what everyone is saying... i HATED him before i always saw him as a cocky superstar all about himself... and ever since he came here he proved me wrong of everything

Really?? i thought he played well.

He created 2 goals by himself .

The nice pass to Tedenby, then driving the net to give Vas space and shoot the puck.

Hes played much better, and just because you dont see Points , dont think he isnt playing well.

+1. Agree. Kovy has set up some beauty of some passes that lead to goals. Devils would have 2 less wins if it wasn't for Kovy's OT GWG. he is putting a lot of pressure on himself to lead this team when he really does not have too (article below). Just play the game he is use to playing and the goals and points will come. A top 5 player like him can only be down for so long before he explodes and I think it is coming for Kovy. Certainly he is NOT the reason why this team has faltered the first quarter of the season.

Kovalchuk: “You can find a lot of excuses, but it’s all on me”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/kovalchuk_you_can_find_a_lot_of_excuses_but_its_all_on_me/

“I think everybody is disappointed with the way we have played, first of all,” Kovalchuk said. “Personally, I know I can do much better and I just need to work even harder now.”

“You can find a lot of excuses, but it’s all on me,” he said. “Nobody is going to feel bad for anybody. I’m on the ice. I’m going to do the plays and, as I said, I have to work hard and be better.

“I don’t think anybody expected it,” he said. “We’ve got a great group of guys here and we still believe. We just need to play the way we did the last couple of games. In St. Louis, we played a real good hockey game, but the bounces didn’t go our way and finally against Washington, it seemed like everything went in the net. So, we need those to start winning and we start to feel more comfortable.”

Devils coach John MacLean thought he saw some positive signs from Kovalchuk Monday, though he was unable to register a point and had only one shot on goal.

“I thought he had some opportunities last game,” MacLean said. “I thought he made some nice plays, some nice passes to (Mattias) Tedenby on the breakaway that he got the penalty shot on. He sent a couple of guys in. So, it will come.”

This is a process with Kovalchuk, even the past few games I have seen him dish it off much more then he has in the past. He is learning how to play hockey in a team environment. With a a player his size, speed, strength and skills...who knows how good he can actually be when he learns.

if he learns i think is more the question. once he stops falling over or having the puck slide off his stick, things will start going well for him.

i did see him dump the puck in last game, which kind of blew my mind.

if he learns i think is more the question. once he stops falling over or having the puck slide off his stick, things will start going well for him.

i did see him dump the puck in last game, which kind of blew my mind.

I don't think he is stupid, he just played a certain way for nearly 10 years. Habits are hard to break.

One reason Zubrus has looked good with Kovy is Zubrus isn't forcing the puck to Kovy. Other teams are almost double shadowing Kovy, 2 or 3 guys collapse on him almost instantly. Zubrus is using that extra space from that and taking the puck to the net. Other guys were taking that space and passing it to Kovy anyway. :lol:

Zubrus taking the puck to the net should force other teams to adjust which will help Kovy look better.

Btw, last game he should of had 2 assists. One for Teddy and the 2 on 1 with Vas.

People who are boo'ing Kovy should root for another team.. They act like it's their money that is paying his salary.. Like, aside from their ego, they have some stake in his success or failure.. He's doing bad because he is trying too hard.. I'll take that any day over doing bad for not trying enough

Wha?

The fans DO in fact pay for his salary. If we didn't have a "stake in his success or failure" he would be collecting tolls in Russia somewhere.

I don't really understand your perspective. Expressing discontent is natural in anything human beings care about. Root for another team? Really?

Edited by openheads

One reason Zubrus has looked good with Kovy is Zubrus isn't forcing the puck to Kovy. Other teams are almost double shadowing Kovy, 2 or 3 guys collapse on him almost instantly. Zubrus is using that extra space from that and taking the puck to the net. Other guys were taking that space and passing it to Kovy anyway. :lol:

Zubrus taking the puck to the net should force other teams to adjust which will help Kovy look better.

Btw, last game he should of had 2 assists. One for Teddy and the 2 on 1 with Vas.

Absolutely, you could tell how much Calgary was covering him tonight especially in the PP in OT.. coverage like that definitely makes it harder. man if Parise and Langs could suit up immediately thatd help us sooo much. thats what we're missing

Kovalchuk had 0 shots on goal last night.... but he did have a nice shootout/skills competition goal where the goal does not count but he got us the win which was very nice to see.. Can not wait for Kovalchuk to get on a roll and start scoring during the games and building on his current 4 goal total (clarkson has 4 goals as well). watching Kovalchuk constantly lose the puck is frustrating to see but we all know that he will come around and start scoring and I cant want to see that!

When I watched Kovy play last night, I saw a guy mired in a slump that tried to take what the opposing team gave him. I'd say he was doing the little things to help his team win. If his contract didn't cry out for him to do the big things to help his team win, I'd be fairly satisfied with his play. Still, I think it is obvious the effort is there. I am confident that at some point this season, Kovy's gonna go on the tear we're all pining for. Devils aren't out of this yet.

Great game tonight.

Honored PB the only way you can, with a W.

What's wrong with Kovy?

I was at the game and he played terrible.

Got booed a few times.

Missing pucks, fanning, overskating.

What's going on with this guy?

Didnt he bury the game winner in the SO..... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Edited by Gunslinger27

Kovy another GWG by the SO last night and that's 3 wins (2-OT GWG, 1-SO GWG) alone by Kovy in the Devils 7 wins thus far this season. Not a bad ratio. Kovy will get it going. Too much talent not too. It is just a matter of time before he gets the goals and points. Patience is a virtue with some of these Devils fans.

I still think todays game vs flyers was one of the best this season for Kovalchuk. He restart to shot like he did in Atlanta but boucher made great save So it coming.... He restart to score constentely soon. Hey devils are 3-1 this week... Still think we will be part of the playoff

I sat on the glass for the Islanders game and I gotta say Kovy was definitely working hard.. He looked determined when going for the puck and he passed the puck away every time he should.. I'd have wanted him to shoot more if we had a guy in front, but since we don't, what's the point? From ice level you realllllly see the coverage other teams have on him and it's tight.. right now he's doing fine just drawing some extra attention away from our other players and that can't be reflected in statistics

Plus he looked great against the Flyers even though he couldn't get one in the net so if he can do that against the Flyers defense, I'm content..

Edited by Colin226