GDT 3/8/11 Devils vs. Senators

ZeroGravityFat

Which was the last place team? The devils played like they were thinking too much about the playoffs and away from the mentality that got them back in it. Terrible loss and if the other games hold up..costly.

It wasn't just tonight...every game for the last few weeks has been like Rocky vs. Drago - a frigging fifteen-round fight to the death. You can only spit blood to win so many times, eventually you have to get a breather in or you'll get bitten.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't kill them but it helps run out the clock so to speak. It's like celebrating a penalty kill when you're down a goal, yippee it isn't more but it's two more minutes off the clock.

And like MadDog said, this is the one where it really was gonna tick me off to lose. At home against the worst team in the league, but yeah when you can't score and keep waiting for #17 to bail you out eventually it's going to bite you in the rear end. Especially when the power play continues to be an abortion on ice. I don't understand why every other team in the league sends guys to the net on the PP agqainst us and we never do it.

the power play was 2 for 2 in the 2 previous games. it's not perfect, and it's not in the top half of the league, but the idea that it's on some cold streak is preposterous.

the power play was 2 for 2 in the 2 previous games. it's not perfect, and it's not in the top half of the league, but the idea that it's on some cold streak is preposterous.

lol, two in a row qualifying as a hot streak...sounds like the first half of the Devils season. And the four on three in OT was a joke too for about a minute and a half (even Lemaire said as much) until they finally got a broken play down low.

When has the power play ever had a sustained run of even being competent since the middle of last year? The only time I can think of was ironically the last few games of the Mac tenure.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just getting back from the post game white castle. They just looked very fatigued out there - physically and mentally. I don't want to say the pressure is getting to them, but the stress of the incredible streak they are on certainly has. Physically, they were beat to plenty of pucks and knocked off rather easy. Mentally, the team couldn't complete a pass. After the disaster series of power play's I was surprised they even scored.

Zajac had a nice pass or two but is really quiet out there. Tedenby is in a slump for sure with how he played. I'm not too thrilled with Palmieri either. I think Steckel has been pretty bad.

This team can't seem to win a big faceoff either. In the second period with all the power plays, I dont think they won a single one. Why not send out Steckel and have him retreat to the bench - in the second period thats on the near blueline. The team needs Zach back in the worst way, how much more can Kovy do?

Just getting back from the post game white castle. They just looked very fatigued out there - physically and mentally. I don't want to say the pressure is getting to them, but the stress of the incredible streak they are on certainly has. Physically, they were beat to plenty of pucks and knocked off rather easy. Mentally, the team couldn't complete a pass. After the disaster series of power play's I was surprised they even scored.

Zajac had a nice pass or two but is really quiet out there. Tedenby is in a slump for sure with how he played. I'm not too thrilled with Palmieri either. I think Steckel has been pretty bad.

This team can't seem to win a big faceoff either. In the second period with all the power plays, I dont think they won a single one. Why not send out Steckel and have him retreat to the bench - in the second period thats on the near blueline. The team needs Zach back in the worst way, how much more can Kovy do?

I actually have been noticing their play to be dropping off for a couple of games now as well. I don't know if they're suffering from mental fatigue or not. We all knew they were gonna slow down eventually. Maybe Hedberg should start next game to give a different look. The young guys seem to be the ones gripping their sticks too tightly now. It's showing. Fayne made some mistakes tonight, as well as Yayo.

talk of faceoffs upsets me a lot. steckel is 63% on faceoffs on the season but it's unlikely he stays that high for the rest of his career. let's call him 60%. most of the devils who take faceoffs are above 50%. how much of an edge do you really think you are getting by putting steckel out there over zajac or zubrus?

the problem with having a lesser player take a faceoff on a short 5 on 3, for example... is that he has to get back to the bench. it's a waste of time. and on a long 5 on 3, who cares, it's a 5 on 3, if you can't get back into the zone and get set up, there's something wrong with you. we just ran a piss-poor 5 on 3 PP on the long one. had nothing to do with faceoffs.

They just looked gassed. Maybe change the lines around for a little spark. Yes they have been winning, but just getting by in one goal games. Try putting Tedenby up with Kovy or call up Vasyunov - maybe even Henrique for a few games.

As for the faceoffs, if they win one of the four on those power plays, who knows how it turns out. Cannot underestimate those.

The devs Need 10 of 12 points in the 6 games w/ NYI, Atl & Ott, so now they must win the next 4.

the effort last night was embarrassing...

The devs Need 10 of 12 points in the 6 games w/ NYI, Atl & Ott, so now they must win the next 4.

the effort last night was embarrassing...

There was good and bad, but overall it just seemed like our puck-luck shifted to the other team for one night.

Josefson looked good. I thought Palmieri looked like a veteran at times. Steckel is finally looking more comfortable and that line is starting to bring what the Sestito-Pelley-Clarkson line did. Elias finally finished after several games of coming close. I like Zubrus winning those draws like rugby scrums after Zajac got booted ... it showed the grit and "do whatever it takes" attitude this team needs.

I thought Kovalchuk looked a little drifty all night, though. Lemaire said a few days back that he can regress sometimes to old habits, and while he wasn't as bad as he was when he was at his worst, he certainly wasn't at his best either. The defense had trouble moving the puck all night and Anderson was sharp.

Can't win 'em all. If we're gonna lose, I'm glad we at least aren't any further from 8th place at the end of the night than we were at the start of the day.

1. Why did Elias only get 13:00 ice time? We need offense yet all i saw last night was Palmieri on the ice every other shift. Palmieri is slumping and i think he needs to rest.

2. Time to switch up lines. Put Elias with Kovy. Palmieri is wasting opportunities created by Kovy. We need a finisher with #17. Zajac couldnt score for his life last night either.

3. This loss stings but we're still on pace. Not worrying about other teams, we can can finish 13-3 and make it in. Thats a 4-1 pace three times more or less, something we've been able to do.

4. Start Moose as a shakeup?

1. Why did Elias only get 13:00 ice time? We need offense yet all i saw last night was Palmieri on the ice every other shift. Palmieri is slumping and i think he needs to rest.

2. Time to switch up lines. Put Elias with Kovy. Palmieri is wasting opportunities created by Kovy. We need a finisher with #17. Zajac couldnt score for his life last night either.

3. This loss stings but we're still on pace. Not worrying about other teams, we can can finish 13-3 and make it in. Thats a 4-1 pace three times more or less, something we've been able to do.

1. Elias made mistakes in both goals allowed

2. Then you leave Rolston hanging 'cause only Elias gets something out of him.

3. Yup

4. Something to think, but improbable

Elias hasn't been all that great his last several games, even the goal last night was Rolston doing most of the work...but yeah I'd rather not split up Rolston and Elias because that is the only formula that's been successful vis-a-vis getting something out of Rolston. Do think it's finally time for a little line shuffling though.

The problem with replacing Palmeri on Kovy's line is who are you gonna replace him with? Our other RW players aren't exactly proven finishers either (it drove me nuts seeing Zharkov on the ice in the final two minutes down a goal) and at least Palmeri gets chances though he's had some of the most excruciating misses of the season.

1. Elias made mistakes in both goals allowed

2. Then you leave Rolston hanging 'cause only Elias gets something out of him.

3. Yup

4. Something to think, but improbable

Yeah Elias stunk last night but I'm thinking hes not getting enough ice time to get going.

1. (i didn't get to see this game)

2. Switching lines base on one game... I say stay with what has been working previously.

3. It's still along shot, like it always has been, but the chance is still there.

4. I say start moose, he was excellent and people thought the team played with some gusto for the moose. Maybe it will spark the team since they played poorly last game. Also, its his & Kovy's former team.

1. (i didn't get to see this game)

2. Switching lines base on one game... I say stay with what has been working previously.

3. It's still along shot, like it always has been, but the chance is still there.

4. I say start moose, he was excellent and people thought the team played with some gusto for the moose. Maybe it will spark the team since they played poorly last game. Also, its his & Kovy's former team.

2. It hasnt been working previously. Our offense the psat few games is mostly MIA.