Holik Wants His Role Defined

Sockeye

Holik's not sure of his job description

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/s...64p-25690c.html

By JOHN DELLAPINA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Bobby Holik would like to know exactly what Rangers expect of him.

During his 10 years with the Devils, Bobby Holik often expressed his displeasure at being pigeon-holed.

But yesterday, a brutally lost weekend behind him and his new team, the hulking center opined that a bit more role definition would be a good thing for him and all the Rangers. And no, Holik wouldn't mind if that began with his being assigned to reprise his long-running role as Mats Sundin's tormentor when the Toronto Maple Leafs visit the Garden tonight.

"I don't want to expect and mentally prepare for that and then have it not happen," he said. "But you know what? I know what to do. So if I'm sent out there, I'm ready. It's not something I have to prepare myself for."

What Holik would prefer is that every Ranger have a specific job to prepare for.

"It's got to be black or white," he said. "We are a little bit too much in the gray area right now. And I think it's going to get defined in a hurry. We all need to know what our jobs are."

For a decade, Holik never had any question. At first the center of the Crash Line that was supposed to create energy by being physical, Holik morphed into the guy assigned to shut down and wear down the top opposing center with his power and nastiness.

"I didn't come here expecting that's what's going to happen," said Holik, who signed with the Rangers July 1. "That's not how this team has played. I don't know if that's how Bryan (Trottier) wants to play it.

"It always makes it, not easier, but more effective if you know exactly what your role is. So maybe it's coming to get a better result out of the team."

Presumably, it will happen tonight against a team that possesses a top line - Darcy Tucker-Sundin-Alexander Mogilny - that has been as potent as any in this young season. Particularly since Holik has had so much history against Sundin - his and Scott Stevens' elimination of the Toronto captain in the 2000 playoffs played a major role in the Leafs retooling their roster to get tougher for last season.

"What rivalry?" Holik joked when asked about it. "Yeah, I did have some fun with (the Leafs). I don't think it changes at all (when you change teams).

"I relish it. I really enjoy it."

Holik said he wasn't pointing a finger at either the coaching staff or any teammates when calling for keener role definition. But after a come-from-ahead loss to Montreal and bludgeoning by Pittsburgh, Holik was firm that job description needs to be a focus.

"I think we have to concentrate on that a little more than we thought we had to," he said. "It's not a knock on anybody. Like sometimes it's: You know your role but you're not sure. Or: You know how you should play but you're not sure. No. You've got to lay it down that this is the way we're going to play and this is the way we're going to be successful.

"Right now, we're a little in between."

I don't believe $45 million guys are role players!

This same story was posted on the blueskirts forum, and this was the first response to it:

Wow, Bobby's getting pretty vocal already. Cool. If the indication he's giving is true, then it appears there's some serious communication problems, at least as far as he's concerned.

I guess they think this is going to help. If they only knew....

Ha, I kinda see his point (why is a 9 mil center playing with Barnaby)... BUT.....

Frankenbob, you're the one who wanted to be "THE MAN"!!! So why do you need your hand held and told exactly what must be done????

I'm surprised he waited this long to say anything :lol:

I LOVE this!!!!! When I read between the lines i get:

"Trottier doesn't know what he's doing...if you morons would just look across the river at what the Devils have been doing the past 8 years and what everyone has been copying maybe we'll make the playoffs."

Of course that's how i read it. :D

GO DEVILS!!!!

Who knows....maybe this is what the Rags need. I can't remember the last time i heard of anyone on their team bucking up and tellling it like it is. If it works, good for them, if it doesn't GREAT, GREAT, GREAT fun for us!!!! :clap:

I like Bobby more and more everyday!!

GO DEVILS!!!

I probably shouldn't do this, and slap me if I'm wrong, but I thought some of you might find this as comical as I do. These are some of the responses on the Rangers board to Holik's comments:

The only ridiculous thing I see is some guy who wants to crucify a new head coach after 3 games.

MEMO TO HOLIK: Start hitting and play two-way hockey...how's that for role definition, ya $9 mill moron!

NORM: HOLIK's the guy who said he did NOT want to go somewhere where he was the #1 center, remember? Sounds to me like he'd be happy that he was still getting 2nd line minutes...

BTW - HOLIK going public is the one thing about him I never really cared for...if he's got a problem, how about walkin' into Trottiers' office and voicing his concerns there, first?

Holik is a role player.

He needs to be given a role, because without one he can't excel. He's just a two-way grinder with a good shot and decent vision.

This proves why Holik is not worth 9 million a year. Players worth that much know what their role is.. Holik has always been perfect in New Jersey because his role was clearly defined.. and he was a unique player playing in a system he knew. Now he's not.

Questioning the coach's decisions 3 games in will get him boos in 10 more games where he is a relative nonfactor..

I definitely agree that it's a bad sign he feels he has to bring his concerns public so early. Either it's a bad sign that Trots is too rigid or more likely another sign that Holik really is a media 'ho. I also find it ironic that as the article itself points out he carped about being pigeonholed in NJ and now he's carping about not being pigeonholed.

I do happen to agree with him that he shouldn't be on a line with stiffs...but he didn't need to make a federal case out of it three games in.