Devils persuing players

cyrisjoe

when have we ever had offensive threat, probably never, we get our ugly goals from hardwork and play defense, we will score our 2-3 goals and win, this is what we do come playoffs, marty steps it up and allows the offense to play mediocer

offensive threats?! see 1999-2000, 2000-2001

fantastic offense. had the 2000-2001 team actually put in total effort, they would not have lost a game that year in the playoffs. that team was ridiculously good.

Over on the ESPN boards, a few of the posters are convinced we can get rid of Madden because he's had an awful year...they say he's essentially useless and we have enough 'role players' who can get the 'same job done' (as Madden) like Pando, Marshall, and Stevenson.

They then suggested trading Madden for Satan....

Yeah, I laughed my ass off.

:puke: Madden is much more than a role player.

Madden will come back. He's having a tough spot, but he's not a defensive liability and that's what's important. He was a Conn Smythe candidate last summer... him, Nieds, Langenbrunner, Friesen and Brodeur -- all of them. I would be VERY hesitant to deal ANY of these guys.

Since when do we need a puckrushing defenseman? We have Niedermayer, Rafalski, and Martin. If they can't cut it, no one will.

Jerry your deal is okay, although I wouldn't give up Madden for Halpern, but it's for a team in stasis that would need a jolt. That's a deal you make in the offseason.

Madden is UFA at the end of this season, so he won't be traded.

I'd like to keep Martin and Hale. If at all possible. Giving up one of them, we'd better be getting back a UFA to be and a 3rd round pick/B grade defense prospect too, because they're too good to go for a guy who's only going to play 30 games as a Devil.

Edited by Triumph

It's a bunch of baloney. The Devils have the assets to get good players.

Who's getting more and more ice time and power play time at the expense of Rafalski? Paul Martin....which could mean that either Martin or Rafalski is a trade chip.

Here's my trade offer: Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Christian Berglund and a first-round pick for Brendan Witt, Jeff Halpern and Robert Lang, with Washington eating half of Lang's salary. I'd do it because it strengthens our blue line with a physical defenseman and it gets us some offense up the middle, while getting back a checking line center in Halpern.

All apologies to John Madden, but the team will still kill penalties well without him.

Please commence ripping me.  :P

Ok... let's look at this deal for a sec.

Reason You Would Part With Rafalski: becomes expendable because of Martin's emergence. Check

John Madden: You are thinking about the fact Madden becomes a UFA July 1st, which means he could leave the Devils with only a compensatory pick coming back. Check

Christian Berglund: He's never going to play ahead of Gionta and Rupp, which leaves no room for him to stay with Devils. Check

Now let's look at the players you are getting back:

Reason For Acquiring Witt: is a grinding solid defenseman that plays physical and would be a perfect D partner for Martin. Check

Jeff Halpern: Is a younger two-way center that could replace Madden in the checking role. Cheap too. Check

Robert Lang: Addresses the Devils #1 center dilemma and gives them much needed depth to create more offense. Check

Obviously the first round pick would be needed to make this deal.

What the Devils' centers would look like:

Lang, Gomez, Brylin, Halpern, Rupp

Potential lines:

Elias-Gomez-Gionta

Friesen-Lang-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Halpern-Stevenson

Rasmussen-Brylin-Marshall

The Devils can use Rupp as another trade chip or they can keep him and rotate.

D pairs:

Niedermayer-White

Witt-Martin

Hale-Brown/Albelin

That would be w/o Stevens. If he returned, you could see:

Stevens-Martin

Niedermayer-White

Witt-Hale/Brown

Here's my trade offer: Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Christian Berglund and a first-round pick for Brendan Witt, Jeff Halpern and Robert Lang, with Washington eating half of Lang's salary. I'd do it because it strengthens our blue line with a physical defenseman and it gets us some offense up the middle, while getting back a checking line center in Halpern.

Christian Berglund: He's never going to play ahead of Gionta and Rupp, which leaves no room for him to stay with Devils. Check

Just one teensy thing both of you are forgetting. Berglund just had surgery.

We don't know where or on what, because Lou has labeled it "Top Secret". I'm surprised even the fact he had surgery was leaked out. :rolleyes:

Just one teensy thing both of you are forgetting. Berglund just had surgery.

We don't know where or on what, because Lou has labeled it "Top Secret". I'm surprised even the fact he had surgery was leaked out. :rolleyes:

Injured or not, he can still be traded, can't he? Didn't Lou trade Arnott while he was injured? I mean it wasn't surgery, but still...he wasn't able to immediately help his new team.

Rafalski and Martin are NOT expendable. Not as long as Mr. Niedermayer's UFA status is still looming and as long as he's still represented by Meehan as well.

I forgot about this Niedermayer UFA/RFA stuff. I wonder if Lou qualifies? I'm betting that's one of the few qualifiers you will see in the off season.

Rafalski and Martin are NOT expendable.  Not as long as Mr. Niedermayer's UFA status is still looming and as long as he's still represented by Meehan as well.

Yeah but Scott would only be an RFA according to the current rules. Hopefully, you don't get screwed over there. I know why you're concerned about Meehan. But I think the Devils will sign Nieds longterm and give him his money.

But I think the Devils will sign Nieds longterm and give him his money.

If Stevens retires, that'll make signing him a whole lot easier.

You'd think that.......but....it's Lou.....

J/K I'd give him more credit than that, :lol:

Heh, no doubt Lou will try and get his monies worth, but at least he'll have flexibility.

I'm not worried about Niedermayer leaving. Just a hunch. As for the expendability of Rafalski, if we're getting back a defenseman like Brendan Witt and/or some offense up front, I think he's expendable. I like the guy. But if you're going to make changes, hopefully for the better, sometimes a regular has to go. Triumph may be right: maybe you don't trade one or two regulars in the middle of the season, that you do that kind of trade in the off-season.

I didn't know Madden was a free agent after this year. That kind of changes his value.

Whiting, you're right: there's difference between a defensive role player and a Selke winner. A Selke winner is generally a more well-rounded player, and that ain't Madden in 2004.

I havent had the chance to read up on this because to see more info i need to be a registered member of ESPN insider, i only saw the headline which was

"Rumor: devils persuing Gonchar, O'neil"

this would be the best thing that could happen a offensive defenseman who is a pretty good d man as well

Gee I just saw this as an eh or nay segment on CN8...go figure.