HAT TRICK OR TREAT

Elias26

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11012007/sport...reat_479423.htm

November 1, 2007 -- The new coach changed his tune to the Devils' old standard, and their fortunes changed, as well, for their first victory in Newark.

Brent Sutter relented from his dislike of using checking lines, and reverted to the Devils' old formula of stifling foes with John Madden and Jay Pandolfo. Not only did they fully thwart Tampa Bay's Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis at even strength, but Pandolfo notched his first hat trick of an 11-year NHL career to lead the Devils to a 6-1 pasting of the Lightning in Newark last night.

"It's another experience I've gone through as a coach," Sutter said of his significant philosophic change of regularly matching Madden, Pandolfo and new linemate Dainius Zubrus against Lecavalier. "At the same time, we don't want John Madden and Jay Pandolfo thinking they're just going to play well in our zone, get to the red line and dump the puck. They have to take advantage of their offensive opportunities. Tonight they had a great game, not only offensively, but defensively, too."

Pandolfo, who also had an assist, leads the Devils with six goals, passing the five of Madden, who was 1-3-4, both plus-4 on the night. The Devils have won each time Madden has scored this season, and he and Pandolfo have 10 goals in those four triumphs.

Pandolfo had 13 goals last season, Madden 12, and each is nearly halfway toward those outputs already.

"It's pretty early in the season," Pandolfo said of leading the team in goal-scoring. "But it's definitely a nice feeling to contribute offensively. Still, it's defense first, and if you get that chance, go. We're getting more chances because we're playing a more aggressive style.

"Everyone wants to score goals, but you still have to be responsible defensively."

The victory lifted the Devils from the NHL's point cellar, yet their 4-6-1 mark for nine points still represents their worst October since 1996, when they opened 4-5-1. They also had nine points from October in 1988 and 1985, six in 1984, and two in 1983.

The crowd, announced as 13,218 but estimated at 8,000 on hand, tops, saw what Sutter wants his team to take as a new start.

Click link to read more!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't at the game but was it really 8000 tops? I can't believe (N)Єverson, I'd rather hear it from a fan.

Edited by Elias26

It did kinda look half full but you can't tell now how many people in the club seats just stayed in the 2 bars and watched the game from there :noclue:

The crowd did seem to be on the sparse side...but I kind of expected that on Halloween. Friday's crowd will definitely be better.

People really need to get over this attendance issue.

I know it has haunted the club for such a long time, but it really needs to just die now.

I was watching the Chicago-Dallas game last night, the crowd there was far worse than ours. Their attendance was announced at over 14,000, look at the highlights on NHL.com, the place half empty. So unless the American Airlines arena has a capacity of 28,000 people, it would seem that everyone lies about attendance.

Florida only had 10,000 in the house to watch Carolina, and L.A only had 11,000 for the Jackets.

I know it has haunted the club for such a long time, but it really needs to just die now.

I was watching the Chicago-Dallas game last night, the crowd there was far worse than ours. Their attendance was announced at over 14,000, look at the highlights on NHL.com, the place half empty. So unless the American Airlines arena has a capacity of 28,000 people, it would seem that everyone lies about attendance.

Florida only had 10,000 in the house to watch Carolina, and L.A only had 11,000 for the Jackets.

The attendance issue will go away quick when the team moves in 2013.

mark.ihatethedevs.(N)Єverson@nypost.com

Devils 6 Lightning 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't at the game but was it really 8000 tops? I can't believe (N)Єverson, I'd rather hear it from a fan.

:haha2:

It's going to be a huge issue this year if the problems with the attendence weren't the fault of the venue or location but the team and its fan base

I think we all know this is the real issue deep down. Bye Bye NJ hockey :evilcry:

Unless Vanderbeek is such a big fan he will support the team financially. :dance:

imo the comparison you're making is weak, none of the others are playing their 2nd game in a new arena. The attendence issue is going to continue to be very real, sadly.

The reason given for poor attendance was the "bad" building and no mass transit.

Those reason's are gone... well now the game time at 7pm makes it hard to get to a game after work.

Also I notice a "late" arriving crowd, but I'm not sure that is because there were lot's of people in Fire & Ice and/or the restaurant. I was walking from my friend's seat to mine during the glass problem in period 3 and I walked by the Fire lounge and it was very crowded. It will be hard to see sellouts, especially when the Black seat & Suite customers are in the lounges.

Also, for this stadium the blacks are sold out which means they get the $$'s whether anyone shows or not.... + they have what looks like 2/3 of the luxo boxes sold.

You guys looking at attendance #'s and comparing teams are making a bad comparison. Compare ticket revenue for the evenings of the teams for a comparison that matters financially to those teams. Also since the Devils own the arena they aren't moving since they make so much extra revenues that teams that don't own their arena miss out on.

Folks, it was Halloween. Man everyone freaks so MUCH here. We're supposed to be the ones in the know. I wasn't there because it was Halloween!! I went with the Nov 16th 1/2 price ticket deal instead :evil:

Nice to see everyone so happy for Pandolfo <_<

Nice to see everyone so happy that dawn is breaking on the team that the Sutter and Devils systems mesh well together.

Nice of everyone to acknowledge Madden and Jay are the MEN for understanding THE GAME OF HOCKEY!!

Nice for me to see indeed this new approach does seem to be just the thing to get Jay to take it up a notch!! I'm very excited!

:noclue:

You guys looking at attendance #'s and comparing teams are making a bad comparison. Compare ticket revenue for the evenings of the teams for a comparison that matters financially to those teams. Also since the Devils own the arena they aren't moving since they make so much extra revenues that teams that don't own their arena miss out on.

Add more Hanna Montana nights! The money from these shows alone could keep the devs afloat with no-one going to the games.

The Devs are staying and will make money no matter what. I don't care what the attendance is.

Totally agree w/Devils731 - but didn't want to say it because I just didnt' even want to add onto the whole numbers thing. Can't we drop it already just for the FIRST MONTH the arena is open at least :evilcry: Can we let Devils371 end it on an up note? john Wensink too! :koolaid:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I noticed in the Ledger that the Devs article has a jab at the attendance and the Nets article does not mention that the DID NOT sell out thier home / season opener.

It's all BS, let's worry about the on ice product. Money wise I think the Devs will be fine! :koolaid:

The earlier start time is a problem when you consider most people get out of work between 5 and 6 weeknights. Leaving little time to meet up with whomever you are attending game with and make your way to the arena fighting traffic / get to your train.

If I didn't take time from work I am not sure I would have made my way there before the puck dropped.

The 13k represents tickets sold not bodies in seats. Isn't there 11 or 12k season tickets sold?

Edited by Diabolical

Why not all just meet up at the game?? It's what we're doing... farthest away gets the parking pass and away they go... the train ride is SO EASY for getting there too.....

My one biggest compliant is that they don't let you into the building until 6... not the smartest way to get hungry people willing and ready to spend money inside to eat there and not at the places around it!!